ROM Hack Fire Emblem Fates: ROM Hacking General Thread

Crooked-Kross

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Salutations!
I'm new here, so I look forward to meeting you all,

In rather poor taste for my first post, I'm actually requesting help with something,

see, I'm trying to give my Male Avatar the Great Lord class and body model, but I have no idea how to do it,
I tried using FEFTwiddler and taking Cipher Lucina and giving her the Hero, Player, and, Defeat condition traits,

however unlike I hoped, it did not make them the avatar, so if someone could assist me in successfully replacing the avatar with Cipher Lucina, or just giving my avatar the class and body, I would be very thankful.

Best wishes~

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know what determines which characters get a "special" death scene? i.e. When certain characters die, the battle music cuts out and animations are slowed down. I've added characters to GameData.bin and modeled their character blocks after the playable characters from the base game, but I cannot get the proper slowdown/music change to occur. Any help would be appreciated.

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Does anyone know what determines which characters get a "special" death scene? i.e. When certain characters die, the battle music cuts out and animations are slowed down. I've added characters to GameData.bin and modeled their character blocks after the playable characters from the base game, but I cannot get the proper slowdown/music change to occur. Any help would be appreciated.
It's the "amiibo" value that determines this, it's an entire set of bytes, there's like a bunch of FFs then like a 01 or something and like 1 or 2 more FFs.

You can see this by also comparing with BR27 Garon, since he has this effect forced on him.

0x80 - 0x85

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the "amiibo" value that determines this, it's an entire set of bytes, there's like a bunch of FFs then like a 01 or something and like 1 or 2 more FFs.

You can see this by also comparing with BR27 Garon, since he has this effect forced on him.

0x80 - 0x85
Yep, that got it working. Thanks!

AnnaTicTac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a quick question.
Do you guys know how to increase the sell/buy price of an item beyond 255? I want to make a normally dlc-only item able to be sold, but it only lets me set the price up to 255. Any other items sold above 255 are set to that as well, but show as their normal prices in game.

CraftyZero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be a dumb question but I'm really not sure. So @DeathChaos25, I'm following your youtube tutorial so I can just test adding an enemy and an ally, however I'm not sure where you found the FID and AID model data for them. I do have a gamedata.txt file that I got with FEAT but it only has stuff like MPID, MPID_H and the like. I checked around the wiki to understadn the file structure but I'm not seeing any other gamedata.bin-like file. Is there another file that I have to put to text format so I know what's what to change?

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be a dumb question but I'm really not sure. So @DeathChaos25, I'm following your youtube tutorial so I can just test adding an enemy and an ally, however I'm not sure where you found the FID and AID model data for them. I do have a gamedata.txt file that I got with FEAT but it only has stuff like MPID, MPID_H and the like. I checked around the wiki to understadn the file structure but I'm not seeing any other gamedata.bin-like file. Is there another file that I have to put to text format so I know what's what to change?
Typically, the FID and AID are the same as the PID. So just copy over the PID you're using and change the P to an F/A and you should be fine.

CraftyZero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Typically, the FID and AID are the same as the PID. So just copy over the PID you're using and change the P to an F/A and you should be fine.

Okay I see, however is the PID supposed to be something in japanese? I noticed in his tutorial he just put PID_MIKOTO and PID_LUCINA.

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I see, however is the PID supposed to be something in japanese? I noticed in his tutorial he just put PID_MIKOTO and PID_LUCINA.
Oh, that might be an issue then. In the base game, the vast majority of labels, including PIDs, are in Japanese. For hacks it's usually easier just to use an English PID for your new character. For Lucina and Mikoto, just find there MPIDs in the GameData text file and change the prefixes to FID/AID.

CraftyZero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, that might be an issue then. In the base game, the vast majority of labels, including PIDs, are in Japanese. For hacks it's usually easier just to use an English PID for your new character. For Lucina and Mikoto, just find there MPIDs in the GameData text file and change the prefixes to FID/AID.

Now I'm starting to get somewhere on it! I guess one last thing, where can I find the enemy data in the person nightmare module? I'm looking but I don't see anything aside from the playable units.

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I'm starting to get somewhere on it! I guess one last thing, where can I find the enemy data in the person nightmare module? I'm looking but I don't see anything aside from the playable units.
The person module just borrows entry names from the normal GameData modules since there's no way to get the right entry names for Person files from inside Nightmare. The entries you're seeing are enemy units.

CraftyZero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, I was wondering why there were all these characters who haven't joined lol. But is there some way to see the new enemy I just added? I didn't set a class for them (here is where I thought we were supposed to) but I did give them an item, I'm assuming its the bottom character?

Edit: Oh wait, I'm dumb I just saw the PID

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Okay and onnnnee last question, so now that I have everything changed, do I simply just overwrite the person and dispos files with the original ones in the rest of the romfs.bin and I'm good?

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, I was wondering why there were all these characters who haven't joined lol. But is there some way to see the new enemy I just added? I didn't set a class for them (here is where I thought we were supposed to) but I did give them an item, I'm assuming its the bottom character?

Edit: Oh wait, I'm dumb I just saw the PID

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Okay and onnnnee last question, so now that I have everything changed, do I simply just overwrite the person and dispos files with the original ones in the rest of the romfs.bin and I'm good?
If you're using HANS to run your hacks, then you have to overwrite the original files to see your changes in game. For Luma or NTR, just put them in your patch folder using the same layout as the files in the romfs.

CraftyZero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're using HANS to run your hacks, then you have to overwrite the original files to see your changes in game. For Luma or NTR, just put them in your patch folder using the same layout as the files in the romfs.

Okay, I figured so. Luma may be my backup plan. Though I'm planning on using Citra to test everything. If I use RomFS Builder, what kind of format will the file it gives me be if I use the romfs folder and the exefs?

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I figured so. Luma may be my backup plan. Though I'm planning on using Citra to test everything. If I use RomFS Builder, what kind of format will the file it gives me be if I use the romfs folder and the exefs?
I'm not really sure - I don't have a lot of experience with rebuilding an entire game. I think you need more than just the exefs and romfs to rebuild for Citra.

Wijetron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there guys, is there anyway to add custom death quotes, level up quotes, shop dialogue, etc. for amiibo units? I've already added a bunch of supports for them, but it feels kind of empty when they stare at you blankly at the jade spring ;p

CraftyZero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, so update on my Fates Romhacking shenanigans:
I managed to actually take apart the .3ds file, do my edits and rebuild the file thanks to HackingTool3ds, and it worked in Citra. The problem is, I wanted to add just a single Wyvern Rider to chapter 7 Birthright as a test and I had the dispos and person files for chapter 7 that I edited with FEFEditor. When I replaced the the dispos and person files already there with the new edits and loaded the game up, no units at all showed up.

I'm theorizing it may be that I just simply replaced the dispos and person files rather than editing them as they were, but I'm not 100% sure. I know it probably isn't Citra itself since there were no issues otherwise. Any thoughts?

Edit: Yup, it's only chapter 7 by the way. Challenge battles seem to work fine.

Last edited by CraftyZero,

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Did you copy over a wrong file over the Dispos file?

That's usually what happens (like copying a person file over the Dispos file) when no units show up.

CraftyZero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you copy over a wrong file over the Dispos file?

That's usually what happens (like copying a person file over the Dispos file) when no units show up.

I don't think I did, I remember doing it right. I just checked now, opening the respective files in the dispos/person editor with all of my changes intact and they showed up okay.

Edit: So I tried it again starting fresh from the extracted .3ds file, and I made sure the files were in the right places and when I rebuilt the .3ds again and pulled it up in Citra it was the same thing.

Last edited by CraftyZero,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn