ROM Hack Fire Emblem Fates: ROM Hacking General Thread

flameofstorm33

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently trying to create a new chapter in Fates (specifically Revelation) using Paragon, but when I try to test it, I get an error message stating that the game "failed to read file". How would I go about fixing this?

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently trying to create a new chapter in Fates (specifically Revelation) using Paragon, but when I try to test it, I get an error message stating that the game "failed to read file". How would I go about fixing this?
You probably need to set up chapter scripts - Paragon cannot do this automatically. Copy a script from another chapter (usually whatever one you're basing it off of) and rename it based on the chapter CID. Ex. If my chapter is CID_T001 I copy a script, call it "T001.cmb", and put it in the Scripts folder.

flameofstorm33

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably need to set up chapter scripts - Paragon cannot do this automatically. Copy a script from another chapter (usually whatever one you're basing it off of) and rename it based on the chapter CID. Ex. If my chapter is CID_T001 I copy a script, call it "T001.cmb", and put it in the Scripts folder.
Well, I located the Scripts folder, and I copied the A014.cmb file, and renamed the new one RR008.cmb to match my chapter's CID_RR008, but the game is still telling me that it failed to load the file. What am I missing?

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I located the Scripts folder, and I copied the A014.cmb file, and renamed the new one RR008.cmb to match my chapter's CID_RR008, but the game is still telling me that it failed to load the file. What am I missing?
Not sure in that case - that's the only issue I've run into. You could try the 3DSFE discord and see if anyone there has a different idea.

flameofstorm33

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: Also, if I wanted to set an escape point like in chapter 12 of Birthright or Conquest, how would I go about doing that?

Though I'm not sure why, it seems that I managed to fix the problems I was having by copying the Scripts folder and pasting it to Paragon's output location.

Another problem I've had is that when I create a new chapter and label it as a Paralogue, it displays fine, but when I try to make it a main story chapter, it defaults to this:
revremakeglitch.PNG

Last edited by flameofstorm33,

Gampup

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm new and not sure this is the place to ask, but I installed some romhacks on my 3DS a few years ago and I think I removed Luma after, but will it be safe to update my 3DS to get the DLCs for Fire Emblem before Nintendo makes it impossible to get them, or will updating my 3DS brick it if I have the romhacks or the old Luma still on it?

Apostrophe

VIDEO GAMES
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to modify the Fates JP special edition so that when you do skinship, you can move the camera past the normal limit and see the entire character model. I used this cheat code creator and was able to modify the right ram address to move the camera past where it normally goes.

However, it looks like the ram address that needs to be modified changes every time I reboot the console. Does this mean that it's being pointed to by a different address? Let's say one time I modify the value at 0x32A72BFA. Does that mean I should search for 32A72BFA in ram, and that may lead me to the address that doesn't change every time I reboot?

OR Does anyone know which file in the rom I would modify to change how far the camera can go in skinship?

zomboop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, could I possibly get a working invite to the 3DSFE discord? I lost access to my old discord and by extension the server.

RFIR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone please help me? I have no I dea what to do. I want to add the festival dlc to to the english version of the game but when i put ctrtool 00000063.app --romfs=SpringScramble.bin into the commad prompt there is an error. Here is the the name of the thread,

[Translation/Port] Fire Emblem Fates Japanese Exclusive DLC​

Please help.

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey just kinda curious: would it be possible to replace animations with a different animation, specifically something like the victory animation after a unit wins a battle?

just curious :-)))

Darnerdragon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i spent the better part of 8 sleepless hours trying to make a generic unit with a personal sskil of capture and everything i tried failed. i followed the guides and advice saved up here for the past 6 years to the best of my ability and i just come to the conclusion im either missing seven different flags or other necessary parts to get a new generic unit with said capture skill or simply lack talent. Either way, i humbly request if possible someone can make a .fe14 char file of a generic unit, can be any class that attacks im not picky, with either capture or kidnap as its personal skill. The reason i spent so long trying to do this is to do a prisoner run from the branch of fate using some logbooked generics i already have as replacements for azura and felicia/jakob but want a generic that can be used for growing the army when prison gets unlocked, avoiding use of maincast as much as possible

TheAranda

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I would like to change the visual effects of some weapons when they hit an enemy, but can't figure out how to. For example, I want Camilla's Axe to have a fire effect on hit, just like the Flame Shuriken. I'm using the newest version of Paragon.

RenOWA67

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm a newbie without any experience with programming, How difficult is Exalt's scripting?

Also how do i add DLC maps to the base game?(Personally i want to add two Heirs of Fate maps and Hidden Truths 2 map)

divixded15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
hey just kinda curious: would it be possible to replace animations with a different animation, specifically something like the victory animation after a unit wins a battle?

just curious :-)))
It is indeed possible, you only need Paragon to modify it.

You just need to enter in the "Animation Sets" menu and find the animation set of the character you want to give the win animation, then just copy the name of the animation in the "Win" box (you can copy it from the "Win" animation of other character).

animation_sets.png

The main problem however is that they use names like F_ch132 to reference the characters, so to find out which one is the character you're searching for go to the "ROM3" menu, find the character and look at which _ch### they refer to. In this case F_ch132 corresponds to Charlotte (ignore the _0 at the end, is a model thing).
rom3_names.png

Post automatically merged:

i spent the better part of 8 sleepless hours trying to make a generic unit with a personal sskil of capture and everything i tried failed. i followed the guides and advice saved up here for the past 6 years to the best of my ability and i just come to the conclusion im either missing seven different flags or other necessary parts to get a new generic unit with said capture skill or simply lack talent. Either way, i humbly request if possible someone can make a .fe14 char file of a generic unit, can be any class that attacks im not picky, with either capture or kidnap as its personal skill. The reason i spent so long trying to do this is to do a prisoner run from the branch of fate using some logbooked generics i already have as replacements for azura and felicia/jakob but want a generic that can be used for growing the army when prison gets unlocked, avoiding use of maincast as much as possible
You probably can just add a custom character with its personal skill set to Capture/Kidnap by using Paragon. I can't try it in practice since I will probably screw up my custom rom or savefile but I can send you pretty much how to do it.

1. Enter the "Characters" menu
2. Add a new character
3. Find the character you want to use as base for stats, class and such
4, 5. "Copy to" the new character you added in step 2. I will probably be called "Item #".
6. Change the PID_ to PID_(whatever). It's the characters identifier so make sure its not repeated, but since all of them are in japanese I doubt that will happen. You can also change the name if you want.
7. In the "Stats" section set the Personal Skills to Capture/Kidnap
8. Now exit that menu and enter the "Castle Recruitment" menu.
9-10. Add a new recruitment, set the character PID to your custom character's and set the recruitment chapters to whenever you want it to join.
11. Now just "Save" the changes and add the result to wherever your game mods are stored.

Alternatively you can just use Paragon to set someone's personal skill to Capture. That also works, just maybe avoid using that character in multiplayer.

I hope this helped.

EDIT: Someone on Gamebanana made a mod that makes most units capturable (including kitsunes, vallites, Garon, etc) and, most relevant in this situation, gives Corrin Kidnap/Capture as a personal skill. https://gamebanana.com/mods/394454
So you can use that with Corrin as capturer if you don't want to use Paragon.

Attachments

• createchar_1.png
    createchar_1.png
    147.1 KB · Views: 57
  • createchar_2.png
    createchar_2.png
    122.5 KB · Views: 54
  • createchar_3.png
    createchar_3.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 42
  • createchar_4.png
    createchar_4.png
    157.7 KB · Views: 45
  • createchar_5 (2).png
    createchar_5 (2).png
    135.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by divixded15,

divixded15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Would this work with animations imported from, say, smash brother? or is it only with animations from the game?

TYSM!
Well, the method I explained earlier should probably still work if you put new animations within the "ba" folder inside the ROM and once inside paragon writing the name of the file (without extension) in the desired box. The problem however would be if the animations from Smash Bros are compatible with Fates, which probably not only means having the correct extension and compression (the one Fates uses is ".bch.lz") but also that they are compatible with the models themselves.

I don't know much of importing animations or adapting them for different models' skeletons, but if you send me an animation from Smash Bros I can try to see if it works when put into the game. If it's in .bch I can compress it to .bch.lz and see how it goes. If not, I hope EveryFileExplorer can change it to .bch, I think it's worth a try.

Mike_77712

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any tips for getting around this error? I've tried to use dlc from a different source as well in case of a bad dump but still get the same error. JPN dlc worked fine with if patcher but english dlc spits out this error every time

1685193929382.png

Arnaud04

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Salutation
i'll loved to ask some technical question but it's ok to ignore :
If it's possible to create a new ally, it's possible to create a new Live2D or it's just impossible ?_?
and also, it's doable to put image/illustration on support dialog ? (and also put new illustration btw)

jeremy1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to create what seems like it should be a fairly "simple" ROM hack for use with Citra via Paragon. Basically, I'm trying to trick the game into loading Conquest chapters in the Birthright path, so that I can have access to the Scouting feature.

Basically, I've finished Birthright and now I'm trying Conquest... I like the story but find the gameplay far too challenging even on Casual with Normal mode, and worse, I feel locked into the default class progressions of each unit I get as the only practical option, because there just aren't enough grinding opportunities for me to pick and choose features from various classes, so it's also kind of tedious and boring in that regard.

Anyway, what I've noticed is that I can get Chapter 6 to play out the whole "Embrace the Dark" thing rather easily (it looks kind of funny with the Birthright-colored textboxes, but I can live with that), and even swap out the weapon/item shops and ore types rather easily. The big problem is really Chapter 7... I have tried every option in Paragon, and even done some manual file substitutions trying to get this to work, but the game is really fighting me on this, it will not let me load "A Dragon's Decree" in the Birthright path no matter what I do. Doesn't matter if I switch ID numbers around, switch CID numbers around, set the next chapter and required chapter up properly and set the Birthright tag... the best I can get is for the game to display the "Dragon's Decree" chapter name and description, but then load up Fort Jizya, or else to simply say it "failed to load file," and send me back to the title screen. :(

As far as I can tell, the code normally used for the Conquest chapter select menu doesn't have Scouting implemented, so to get what I want, I would have to get Conquest chapters working with the Birthright "engine" so to speak, but the game seems to be fighting me tooth and nail and is seemingly determined to not let me do that, even though the options in Paragon suggest it should be possible in theory to move chapters between the Birthright and Conquest paths. Am I missing something, is Chapter 7 special and hardcoded in a way that Paragon can't deal with, or is it just not possible to play Conquest chapters other than Embrace the Dark on the Birthright engine?

EDIT: I got it working, but it turns out that Paragon by itself can't do this. The fix was basically that I have to copy a bunch of scripts from one folder to another in two places that Paragon doesn't want to touch. Conquest and Birthright have separate data/script directories in several places, so those scripts have to be copied into the Birthright directory in several places before this will work, and for some reason the process can't be automated, you have to find them all yourself and do it manually. Also, for some reason doing it this way results in the inverse of the problem I had before. Now the chapter description is totally wrong and says what it would say at the same point in Birthright, but loads the Conquest chapters correctly. Close enough for me, I guess... also, I can attempt Scouting at Woods of the Forlorn, but for some reason it loads no enemy units and doesn't let me place any of my own units on the map. Sort of like what was going on originally with the map while I was trying to get it to work as a story map, before I found all the locations I needed to copy stuff from. The three maps prior to Chapter 6 do seem to work fine with Scouting, though, which was all I realistically expected.

Last edited by jeremy1988,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah they gotta reproduce somehow