ROM Hack Fire Emblem Fates: ROM Hacking General Thread

TildeHat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, there's a file called aset.bin.lz in the bs folder that tells the game what animation should be used in a given situation(If using axes use this animations, dodge with this animation etc.).

Cryse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, been trying to change some in-game portraits, but have been stuck on the last step and would appreciate some help.

I've edited the sprites I found so I had the full list of expressions and then followed DeathChaos25's guide on their tumblr (trying my best to not have to bother anyone) but the guide lacks any information on how to import the .arc files using FEIF ARC and the github page also lacks information, unless I'm just looking in the wrong places.

tldr; need some help on how to use FEIF ARC.

EmblemCrossing

That Towel!Niles Cosplayer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm back! It was a long week, so I didn't have any time to work on hacking and stuff. Back with some questions..

Have we gotten any closer to getting working Romantic supports w/custom DlC Characters, or are we still stuck at A/A+? I spent a lot of time this week coming up with support convos for my character, so I was wondering if we actually had a way to use them yet. I was also wondering if it was possible to say, have supports set up between two custom DLC units from different sets, such as Owain and Lissa from Omegablu's and DeathChaos25's sets.

Also has anyone dug around and found character the following, or know where I should look for them?

-Endgame Dialogue (apparently Odin, Selena, and Laslow have unused lines for Birthright endgame, we might be able to use those)
-Character Bio (from the library) I have a good chunk of bios written up!
-DLC Chapter lines (I imagine this would involve actually adding instances of text to the map DLC and rebuilding it, so this isn't a big deal)

Also I'm working on writting more (and hopefully finishing the last characters up) or @Omegablu, and then when I'm done with that, I may move on and write dialogue for @DeathChaos25 as well, if I have the energy that is.

Last edited by EmblemCrossing,

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm back! It was a long week, so I didn't have any tike to work on hacking and stuff. Back with some questions..

Have we gotten any closer to getting working Romantic supports w/custom DlC Characters, or are we still stuck at A/A+? I spent a lot of time this week coming up with support convos for my character, so I was wondering if we actually had a way to use them yet. I was also wondering if it was possible to say, have supports set up between two custom DLC units from different sets, such as Owain and Lissa from Omegablu's and DeathChaos25's sets.

Also has anyone dug around and found character the following, or know where I should look for them?

-Endgame Dialogue (apparently Odin, Selena, and Laslow have unused lines for Birthright endgame, we might be able to use those)
-Character Bio (from the library) I have a good chunk of bios written up!
-DLC Chapter lines (I imagine this would involve actually adding instances of text to the map DLC and rebuilding it, so this isn't a big deal)

Also I'm working on writting more (and hopefully finishing the last characters up) or @Omegablu, and then when I'm done with that, I may move on and write dialogue for @DeathChaos25 as well, if I have the energy that is.
I havent fixed romantic supports yet. Maybe @TildeHat knows the solution. Supports between dlc characters is easy, and not too different from normal characters.

EmblemCrossing

That Towel!Niles Cosplayer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I havent fixed romantic supports yet. Maybe @TildeHat knows the solution. Supports between dlc characters is easy, and not too different from normal characters.

Do we have romantic supports between DLC characters? Or is that not known yet either? Guess I should start writing the friendship supports instead, since those we can actually use. Would friendship seals function proprely with new DLC classes, so I could say, A+ Forrest and have him gain a new class?

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way someone can make something that randomizes everyone's class and order they join in?
It could just be something you can throw the files that would modify into it (the GameData.bin and Dispos EDIT:both of which can already be altered with nightmare)

I can randomize people's classes using nightmare (well I can set them to something else, though I'll know what they are), but I'm not sure how I'd change their default inventory so they have something they can equip and I wouldn't know how to change recruitment order (but I know it can be done since @DeathChaos25 has already done something that changes recruitment order EDIT:It seems I could edit this in nightmare, inventory also seems to be editable in nightmare).

I just want to do a play-through where I don't know what to expect as much and where I won't know for certain which characters will be the best options. Possibly as a Let's Play, though I've never done anything like that.

Last edited by Dylos,

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A randomizer could be done, but you couldn't just set it up through nightmare modules. You'd have to set up some kind of program to go through and edit GameData, all of the dispo files, and text files if you want to have the random character show up in cutscenes.

I'm out of town at the moment, but I could try and set something up in a few days.

Reactions: DarkSynopsis

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
A randomizer could be done, but you couldn't just set it up through nightmare modules. You'd have to set up some kind of program to go through and edit GameData, all of the dispo files, and text files if you want to have the random character show up in cutscenes.

I'm out of town at the moment, but I could try and set something up in a few days.
I already have a randomizer I made some months ago when I did python for the first time, it's pretty horrible and it only covers GameData, but I could send it your way, since it actually works.

The problem is that while we can randomize Corrin's base class, it won't matter because upon Character creation, the game will auto force Nohr Prince(ss) upon creation based on Gender.

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already have a randomizer I made some months ago when I did python for the first time, it's pretty horrible and it only covers GameData, but I could send it your way, since it actually works.

The problem is that while we can randomize Corrin's base class, it won't matter because upon Character creation, the game will auto force Nohr Prince(ss) upon creation based on Gender.
Feel free to send it my way if you want to. I don't think I'm going to try and mess with Corrin if his base class is forced like that, but we'll see.

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Feel free to send it my way if you want to. I don't think I'm going to try and mess with Corrin if his base class is forced like that, but we'll see.
It should at least allow Corrin to reclass into the class that was randomly decided, unless the game is even more wonky then I thought.

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should at least allow Corrin to reclass into the class that was randomly decided, unless the game is even more wonky then I thought.
I could see about reclassified, but I don't think that'll work - Corrin's main class and reclass options are likely handled through the game's rather than anything in the romfs. You could potentially modify that as well, but I don't know enough about asm and the code disassembly process to do anything like that.

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still trying to find a good model for my Manakete class, but I can't figure out which model is used for the Bow Knight, I saw the post which helps determine which head/hair/(unique model) a character is associated with, but is there any reference to which bodies each class uses?

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
It does, I was looking through it but I think I need to switch hex editors so I can see the Japanese.
You really need one, everything uses Japanese labels, so unless you develop the ability to read the hex bytes and manually interpret them as Japanese characters, it'll just be a blind guessing game.

MikominMM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I wonder if it's possible to do this: (Via ROM Hacking of course)

When you beat The Endgame Chapter On any Path, The Game unlocks replicas of Chapters 7 to 26 with increased difficulty (You can choose if it's increased or not and if it's increased you can disable the extra difficulty at any time) and you can replay them at any time, Y'know, kinda like a New Game +.

(The same thing can be applied to paralogues)

Last edited by MikominMM,

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if it's possible to do this: (Via ROM Hacking of course)

When you beat The Endgame Chapter On any Path, The Game unlocks replicas of Chapters 7 to 26 with increased difficulty (You can choose if it's increased or not and if it's increased you can disable the extra difficulty at any time) and you can replay them at any time, Y'know, kinda like a New Game +.

(The same thing can be applied to paralogues)
Changes on the scale you're talking about are essentially not possible - at least, not without redoing a significant portion of the game's code. Considering that making minor edits is very difficult to do as it is, doing any sort of large scale edits to the code simply isn't plausible.

You could potentially just edit the endgame chapter to return you to My Castle with the "challenge" chapters unlocked after beating it, but you'd still have to go through and build copies of every chapter you wanted to add on. That method would be easier than code editing, but still not easy to accomplish.

MikominMM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Changes on the scale you're talking about are essentially not possible - at least, not without redoing a significant portion of the game's code. Considering that making minor edits is very difficult to do as it is, doing any sort of large scale edits to the code simply isn't plausible.

You could potentially just edit the endgame chapter to return you to My Castle with the "challenge" chapters unlocked after beating it, but you'd still have to go through and build copies of every chapter you wanted to add on. That method would be easier than code editing, but still not easy to accomplish.

Well, I hope someday it will be possible. Or at least partially...

DeferredGalaxy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decent Randomizer like the GBA ones would be very nice. The ones we have available are nice, and all, but I'd prefer to have things like keeping it from swapping a base class to promoted and vise versa, or even randomizing the classes of non-playable map bosses would be nice.

These sound like totally doable things that I could do, but I dunno where all the bytes are or how to even locate them. >.>; But yeah, a randomizer with more control on how classes are handled would be nice. Another idea I have in mind is randomizing skills for classes. It's be kind of fun to see which classes get what skills, even if they're just a bit insane. =w= If I knew anything about locating bytes without completely holding hands about it, I would probably be able to do something like this. (Like, I have no idea how to look for "headers" or how to locate things using "0x###" or whatever, still kind of new to Hex Editing, honestly, but I have a feeling a few quick Google searches might do me some good.)

Last edited by DeferredGalaxy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu