ROM Hack Fire Emblem Fates: ROM Hacking General Thread

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might as well ask, since the topic of conversation is AIDs...
Since the custom DLC characters like Mikoto and Anankos use the same model no atter the class, and every DLC character's AID is stored individually, in theor, would it be posible to give them a JID entry? Like making it so Mikoto keeps her normal dress as a War Priestess, but when reclassed to Onmyoi, she gets the normal Onmyoji model? Just been thinking about that recently...

EDIT:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a body, like Elise's, can be called with a JID entry specifying which class to use the model in, or just having it be the normal model used no matter the class, Ala the custom DLC characters.
You'd have to edit the header to achieve what you want and no one knows how the header works exactly.

Roythekids5

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think i found the Chrom AID... I'm right?
upload_2016-10-10_17-6-18.png

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My rip is of the Japanese copy of Fates, would that cause any issues/make it any harder for me? Meaning, are the file names from the US dump localized? (I'd assume not, but.)

I can read Hirigana/Katakana, and can figure out Kanji, so for the most part I'm fine with finding the character names themselves. The hard part for me is finding which file I need to use out of all of the ones that each character has :o
The file names are the same, but they don't include character's names in them. For example, Lyndis uses one of FemCorrin's hair styles, uHair_F_ch011_9 is the file's name.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think i found the Chrom AID... I'm right?View attachment 65648
The awakening characters share a single AID file for all 3 characters, but yes Chrom is in that file.

EmblemCrossing

That Towel!Niles Cosplayer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The file names are the same, but they don't include character's names in them. For example, Lyndis uses one of FemCorrin's hair styles, uHair_F_ch011_9 is the file's name.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I worded that poorly. I meant to ask about these:
whatdis.PNG
フォレオ (Foreo), so these are files pertaining to Forrest, but I don't know what exactly.

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are the character face portraits for inventory, status windows, critical cut ins, etc.

The FID controls those, not the AID.

Last edited by Dylos,

EmblemCrossing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are the character face portraits for inventory, status windows, critical cut ins, etc.
ahhhhh

so replacing those and recompiling it would result in custom portraits, yes? Progress..

I'm still trying to figure out the AID structure, but thankfully there's a key now. I'm just not as technical as you guys I guess

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ahhhhh

so replacing those and recompiling it would result in custom portraits, yes? Progress..

I'm still trying to figure out the AID structure, but thankfully there's a key now. I'm just not as technical as you guys I guess
Yes, those are fairly easily replaced as well, DeathChaos25 has a guide on how to do so, I believe on tumblr.

Roythekids5

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Duude editing an AID it's so complicated! i want to assign an specific model to someone for a class but i don't know where to edit

Koko-Kun

A Guppy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My rip is of the Japanese copy of Fates, would that cause any issues/make it any harder for me? Meaning, are the file names from the US dump localized? (I'd assume not, but.)

I can read Hirigana/Katakana, and can figure out Kanji, so for the most part I'm fine with finding the character names themselves. The hard part for me is finding which file I need to use out of all of the ones that each character has :o
Just to save you the trouble http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=63144 :3

Reactions: EmblemCrossing

EmblemCrossing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ayyy that's pretty handy

Do we know what models the generic units use? Was looking for the troubadour, but if not, I could just use Forrest's body for it (my oc is cool don't judge/steal)

I wanted to use Elise's body for the poofy outfit, since that's the closest thing we have to fancy dresses in fates, but then I realized my character would be really short :/

Roythekids5

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I want to give Marth the Great Lord model (Lucina class) but i dont find how to do it
By the way how do you make an new AID?
Then EmblemCrossing will also got his Towel Nails ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

EmblemCrossing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to give Marth the Great Lord model (Lucina class) but i dont find how to do it
By the way how do you make an new AID?
Then EmblemCrossing will also got his Towel Nails ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Towel Nails sounds like a strange fellow. I just want Towel!Niles.

Also I was planning on giving him a custom class. Possibly "Miscreant."

(Then Odin can be the one to "Handle this miscreant", if you catch my drift)

Koko-Kun

A Guppy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ayyy that's pretty handy

Do we know what models the generic units use? Was looking for the troubadour, but if not, I could just use Forrest's body for it (my oc is cool don't judge/steal)

I wanted to use Elise's body for the poofy outfit, since that's the closest thing we have to fancy dresses in fates, but then I realized my character would be really short :/
Use the MJID part of the gamedata text to help find it in ROM2. You should then just see what models makes up the troubadour class.

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Ok, since I probably understand AIDs somewhat I'll chime in.

First off, the kind of AID you want is ENTIRELY controlled by the bitflags that make up the header of the AID.

What bitflag does what? I have, absolutely no idea.

The only bitflag set I know of and know how to work with, is the bitflag set that I used for Chrom/Lissa/Frederick, which is the bitflag set that makes them keep their outfit no matter the class, because these are meant to be "cutscene only" characters, hence the model not changing on reclass, because the game wants the character be in the specified outfit no matter what, like Mikoto for example, since she appears in some early scenes such as chapter 4, some AIDs also specify the Valla effect for said cutscene models, these include characters such as
Arete or Sumeragi
, so get rid of the Vallite effect you'd have to directly edit the AID, but then this would remove it from them in the cutscenes where they were intended to have it.

Secondly, unless you used the same bitflags in the Header, no 2 AIDs will be the same, there is a "general" structure, but mapping them is really not worth it because you'd have to map every header/AID combination, what I can tell you is the "basic" structure.

AID label pointer
character hair/head/face models/textures label pointers
character skin tone (if the bitflags in the headers say it is used)
Character voice label pointer (if used)
the last 4 bytes will ALWAYS be the character's hair color, the bytes are reversed, so for example,
Hinoka's hair is 00 B4 2D 2D, you would instead find it as 2D 2D B4 00.

For "normal" characters, the pattern seems to be multiple AIDs, first is the "base" AID, which specifies the head/hair/face/skin tone/body type/voice, then they will have an extra AID block for every class specific model they use, these AIDs will have JID labels which is basically the class labels, and in here it would specify the unique body models/textures, they can have as little as just one (like Gunther), or as many as 3 (like Odin).

I think this should about cover up most of the common questions?

Last edited by DeathChaos,
Reactions: EmblemCrossing

TildeHat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's a general idea of how AID blocks work.
[Header] [Pointers to labels/filenames or hex colours]
The header is a bunch of bit flags that tells the game what parts should be used. And the pointers should follow the ordering of the flags.
Ordering of the flags are:
AID
Conditional ID label.
?Another conditional ID maybe.
lower body model
lower body Texture
Head model
Head texture
Hair model

Hair Texture
upper body model
upper body texture
?
?
Mount Body model
Mount Texture
Mount Armour model

Mount armour texture
?
?
ride xrider model?
?
Head Accessory model
Head Accessory texture
Left Arm Accessory model

Left Arm Accessory texture
Right Arm Accessory model
Right Arm Accessory texture
Battle Animations
Another Animation thing.
animation//used for Nohr Prince(ss)/noble dragon fang
HID(Transformation)
Foot step Noise

KOROMO ???
Voice
Hair Colour
Skin Colour
?
Something//Used to flag for Class specific models
//More stuff here. Probably not useful.

I've split the list into groups of eight as that corresponds to each byte in the header. So taking Lucina's AID block as an example, the header is E1 01 60 00 06 00 00 00.

Let's look at the first byte. Converting E1 to binary gets us 1110 0001. Now look at the first 8 entries in the list and correspond the binary number to it starting from the right.

1 - AID
0 - Conditional ID label.
0 - ?Another conditional ID maybe.
0 - lower body model
0 - lower body Texture
1 - Head model
1 - Head texture
1 - Hair model

And the first 4 pointers in the AID block points to:
AID_ルキナ
uHead_F_ch203_0
uHead_F_ch203_0_cl0n
uHair_F_ch203_0

Which corresponds to the items in the list that are flagged.

Do this for the rest of the header and the flagged items should correspond to the labels in the block.

As for making your own AID block, just go backwards.
Typical AIDs for characters have have: AID, Head model+texture, Hair model + texture, Voice and Hair colour. Look at the list, check off what you need, convert binary to hex and you have your header for your AID.

Do note that if you don't need anything from the fifth block, you only need to have four bytes in you header. If you do get something from the fifth block, you'll need to extend your header to eight bytes(just 00 until you hit eight bytes).

EmblemCrossing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright here's a bit of a question. Do we know how to specify/add parent logic to custom DLC units? Like say if I wanted (not that I'm planning on it) but wanted a child like say, Nina spawned into the game as custom DLC and pick like, Camilla as her mother. So she would use a custom portrait or whichever assets, but the game would treat Nina as Camilla's actual daughter?

We could go further with this, and give Severa a mother in Cordelia, if we understood..

Edit: also a bit interested in how the game treats supports when a character has varied supports with a given unit, such as Corrin having romantic and parent supports for all the second generation units, or how the kids can have sibling supports. Would it be possible to have a unit support from both the first and second generation without getting messy? (Implying we can implement supports for DLC of course)

Last edited by EmblemCrossing,

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Alright here's a bit of a question. Do we know how to specify/add parent logic to custom DLC units? Like say if I wanted (not that I'm planning on it) but wanted a child like say, Nina spawned into the game as custom DLC and pick like, Camilla as her mother. So she would use a custom portrait or whichever assets, but the game would treat Nina as Camilla's actual daughter?

We could go further with this, and give Severa a mother in Cordelia, if we understood..

Edit: also a bit interested in how the game treats supports when a character has varied supports with a given unit, such as Corrin having romantic and parent supports for all the second generation units, or how the kids can have sibling supports. Would it be possible to have a unit support from both the first and second generation without getting messy? (Implying we can implement supports for DLC of course)
Siblings and parent conversations are auto generated by the game, there is no need to implement those.

That being said, sibling/parent conversations also override whatever conversation type both units have, so for example, say Male Corrin has a fast romantic option with Caeldori, but if you marry him to Subaki, that fast romantic conversation is now a non romantic parent/child conversation.

As for parent/child, it's just as easy as writing down the character ID of the desired parent in the child unit's character block where the "parent ID' byte is located.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo