Final Fantasy XVI will be exclusive to PS5 for six months

In a new promotional video, Sony let slip the exclusivity window for Final Fantasy XVI. The trailer shows brief gameplay from a variety of upcoming titles, with release information in small print at the bottom, one of which reads "Final Fantasy XVI anticipated Summer 2023. PS5 exclusive for six months." While the release window of Summer 2023 was already known, the exact nature of its exclusivity has been hard to pin down.

As reported by IGN after the game's announcement at a PS5 event in September 2020, a trailer for Final Fantasy XVI initially said it would be a PlayStation Console Exclusive, but also available on PC. This trailer was taken down and replaced with another that omitted that text, and IGN was reportedly asked by Square Enix to retract any mention of a PC release from its article. While other platforms haven't been confirmed by Square Enix yet, given this information, it's likely we'll see a PC release after at least six months of PS5 exclusivity.

Whether it will come to other consoles, namely Xbox, is murkier. At the time of that trailer's release and retraction, industry analyst Piers Harding-Rolls reported that Sony had confirmed to him that the game would be a completely exclusive to the PlayStation 5 for six months, and a console exclusive for twelve months. This was never independently confirmed, but it does appear to link up with this new information. If it is true, it would imply the game is also coming to Xbox Series X|S at some point as well.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe I'll be able to actually find a PS5 by the time this game releases.

Follow the popular PS5 restock/alert pages on Twitter. They tell the time and place there will be a drop. It's really not very difficult to get one. Just be logged in to your Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc account prior to the drop and be waiting to click the add to cart button and check out. Also, have your payment information saved so you don't have to type it all in to finish checkout. Only other advice I can give is to add a PS5 to your "favorites" or "save for later" lists on whatever site. Most places you can click the add to cart button right from there. Every moment counts when there's so many other people trying to get one at the same time. I don't know how many times I've been able to add a PS5 to my cart and get to the checkout page, but not purchased it. Just to see if I could easily get one. Best of luck. :)

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Follow the popular PS5 restock/alert pages on Twitter. They tell the time and place there will be a drop. It's really not very difficult to get one. Just be logged in to your Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc account prior to the drop and be waiting to click the add to cart button and check out. Also, have your payment information saved so you don't have to type it all in to finish checkout. Only other advice I can give is to add a PS5 to your "favorites" or "save for later" lists on whatever site. Most places you can click the add to cart button right from there. Every moment counts when there's so many other people trying to get one at the same time. I don't know how many times I've been able to add a PS5 to my cart and get to the checkout page, but not purchased it. Just to see if I could easily get one. Best of luck. :)
Thanks for the tip. However, I think my biggest issue is that I don't really care about the PS5 yet. I'm still playing games from the PS1 era. Trying to get caught up from all those years of marriage and raising kids.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes sense financially for Sony to want it as a console exclusive for a limited time, but console exclusives or just exclusives excludes customers from buying and enjoying that product. Thankfully, PS and Xbox games aren't much of exclusives anymore these days. :)

Except Nintendo they still rely on their exclusives for their consoles (the hardware doesn't compare to a PS/Xbox console though the exclusives are awesome.. most of the time).

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Timed exclusives don't make me want to buy a PS5 anymore than I wanted to when it was being scalped for double the price on eBay. Even then, I'm not exactly stoked for the exclusives that Sony releases these days. Consoles are basically dead for me. I'll stick to PC gaming and keep emulating Nintendo consoles.

Reactions: hybori

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: