EZ-Flash's new Nintendo DS flashcard Product Images with Information

Auyx

GBAtemp's Unofficial Sanic impersonator
Trophies
XP
Country
Love the aesthetics but really wish it was unique in some other ways. Better UI would be number one. I still think the CycloDS Evo FW hasn’t been bettered in all these years everything else feels clunky.

Reactions: Chaoticus

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
actually, when I read "ezflash" I think more on high end stuff than budget stuff (because of where ezflash compete nowadays on Gameboy and Gameboy Advance cart market), so a supercard DSTWO competitor was what crossed my mind when I first saw the headline.

Not ezflash fault here, more a testament on how good and fully feature their GB and GBA carts are.
Well who knows, maybe later they'll bring out a better one.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what the pins on the front side are for. Possibly firmware updates by flipping it around and loading from slot 2?
My guess would be JTAG headers for programming the FPGA... Only I have no idea why they would need two of them (JTAG uses four wires).

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by SylverReZ,

JORGETECH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So someone posted in reddit a really interesting comment about save commands being "hardware accelerated" in this card (read the replies in the post):

If that's true then it may be a really good card if it costs around 15 $ or €.

I would actually buy it if that was the price since I'm interested in a Wood-based flashcart that does not have timebomb and is made with decent materials. But I think I'll wait for the reviews to see if the savegame and battery saving claims are true.

Last edited by JORGETECH,

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
So someone posted in reddit a really interesting comment about save commands being "hardware accelerated" in this card (read the replies in the post) [...]
These comments were quoted and attributed to @lifehackerhansol who also posts in this thread. I hope he doesn't mind, but I think he's currently the leading experts when it comes to DS flash cart tech. I'm curious where he made these.

Reactions: JORGETECH

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
These comments were quoted and attributed to @lifehackerhansol who also posts in this thread. I hope he doesn't mind, but I think he's currently the leading experts when it comes to DS flash cart tech. I'm curious where he made these.
I did take apart the kernel in a decompiler to poke around. It's essentially an R4 with (real) SDHC support. Was having fun with it on Discord with a few other people.

It seems to be using the same hardware-backed "piracy commands" that the R4 uses with a few minor differences. Whether this attributes to performance benefits is yet to be seen.

Note, EZ-Flash DS carts all had support for this, though only the Parallel has specific functions for saving.

Last edited by lifehackerhansol,

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok I know I'm going to be off topic but I really think that the manufacturer who understands that the ultimate combo for Nintendo DS (and in particular for DS Lite/Phat fans) is a DSTwo+ with an EZ Flash 3in1 will hit the jackpot in creating a clone pack bringing together these two devices, we are in 2024, manufacturing costs must have fallen since the first editions and as for development, cloning is not a total adventure into the unknown either, end of off topic^^

In any case it's cool to see a new flashcard on the market

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A license is quite important for projects for those who don't want their work to be cloned/stolen as their own.
True for some licenses, but copyleft licenses like the GPL is more about preventing said project from *becoming* proprietary -- it lets others use/ modify/ distribute it as long as it stays open source.
Let's be honest, who give a fck about license when it come to warez
Well a flashcart with open source license could encourage community support, since the actual source code is available; and also legal wise. It can benefit other such projects too (just like how itself has benefited from Wood).

---

Either way, some thoughts on the SD card reader placement -- you'd have to pull the flashcart slightly further out from where it ejects to take the SD card out. But on the other hand, perhaps not having an SD card 'stick out' at the back of the console would make for a cleaner look.

Last edited by genistopitauniverfrocrami,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regarding FOSS kernels for flashcarts: it might be a niche need, but the only solution right now involves having 2 separate carts: Wood 1.25 on a hard to come by Acekard R.P.G., and a TWiLightMenu supported flashcart to plug the compatibility holes of Wood 1.25 (or vise versa).

It's true that the average user would just buy whichever flashcart that works. But anyone who cares about open source, uninhibited community support or wants to work with the source can see that EZ-Flash could really be on to something here.

[Edit]

Not available but possible FOSS alternatives:

- Someone ports Wood 1.25 to a currently available cart, and TWiLightMenu adds support for it.
- Someone ports Wood 1.25 to a currently available cart and re implements all post Wood 1.25 compatibility fixes.
- Acekard R.P.G. clones start appearing, and TWiLightMenu adds support for it.

EZ-Flash would have already done the work and aren't too far off from it releasing under GPL, so here's hoping.

Last edited by genistopitauniverfrocrami,

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm overpriced DS flash cart is all it is. I don't understand why anyone would want to spend 25 bucks on this when you can get an acekard for like 5 dollars lol and it does the same thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...