English Dubbed Anime - Need some recommendations

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a very strong opinion when it comes to dub vs sub and translations of any cultural work in any form, but I won't bore this thread with it in this post.

My suggestion is Berserk. Manga elitists may disagree on whether it should be watched in its animated form but Berserk is a good, in a sense western-styled anime from the 90's with a good English dub.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I know know what exactly has been suggested, but here's my list. I'll list one liner previews for each, and try not to involve spoilers as best as I can.

Movies are in RED. OVAs are in BLUE.
  • InuYasha - A present-day high schooler accidentally gets thrown into Japan's Feudal Era, where she awakens a half-demon.
  • InuYasha: The Final Act - Continuation of InuYasha.
  • Princess Mononoke - A boy in a far away time gets cursed by a demon and has to travel to the west to find the cure.
  • Big-O! - The tale of a negotiator in a futuristic city without memories.
  • Spirited Away - A young girl gets transported to the world of the spirits and becomes trapped there.
  • Haibane Renmei - A tale about beings that look like angels in a town that no one can leave.
  • Akira - A gang member strives to save one of his friends from a secret organization. WARNING: GRAPHIC VIOLENCE.
  • When They Cry - A boy moves to a new town and begins to notice that not everything is as it seems. WARNING: GRAPHIC VIOLENCE.
  • Kiki's Delivery Service - A young witch journeys to an unfamiliar town to find herself.
  • Azumanga Daioh: The Animation - The everyday antics of a group of friends. WARNING: BORDERLINE PEDOPHILIA (limited to one recurring character, played for laughs).
  • My Neighbor Totoro - Two sisters befriend a Japanese forest god.
  • Oh! My Goddess - A guy with bad luck ends up calling the wrong number and a goddess appears to give him a wish.
  • Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne - Two private investigators that take on any job, and one of them appears to be virtually indestructable... WARNING: GRAPHIC VIOLENCE.
  • Black Butler - In one of the noble families of Europe serves a butler. He has skills so perfected, he almost seems inhuman. However, he seems content to be serving a twelve year old...
  • Black Butler II - Continuation of Black Butler.
  • Hetalia: Axis Powers - History of the world, except all the countries are people. Also it's funny.
  • Hetalia: World Series - Continuation of Axis Powers.
  • The Cat Returns - A high-schooler saves a talking cat and somehow becomes immersed in its world.
  • Noein: To Your Other Self - A twelve-year old girl finds a mysterious object that attracts people from a parallel future.
  • And They're Off! Powerpuff Girls Z - Three ordinary girls gain the ability to turn into the Powerpuff Girls Z. RELATIVELY DIFFICULT TO FIND IN ENGLISH (even on the internet), MAY BE A EUROPEAN IMPORT.
This is all I know off the top of my head, however.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
When They Cry - A boy moves to a new town and begins to notice that not everything is as it seems. WARNING: GRAPHIC VIOLENCE.
>Higurashi dub
EtsBN.gif
And They're Off! Powerpuff Girls Z - Three ordinary girls gain the ability to turn into the Powerpuff Girls Z. RELATIVELY DIFFICULT TO FIND IN ENGLISH (even on the internet), MAY BE A EUROPEAN IMPORT.
XlaYS.png

Reactions: 1 person

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
You didn't like Cowboy Bepop? Oh, I assume you didn't watch the movie....

All of the popular animes suck (Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail, etc.) Avoid them like the plague.

I would say Samurai Champloo, but it's better in Japanese then in English IMO..

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of the popular animes suck (Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail, etc.) Avoid them like the plague.

(Warning: What I'm about to say might cause all hell to break loose)

I wouldn't say all of them suck, but Fairy Tale just sounds retarded, and then there's Lucky Star which....frightens me to no end. If you think One Piece is bad in Japanese, just listen to the 4Kids dub; you'll wish you could rip your cochlea and eardrums right out. Bleach? Never saw it, never will, not my forté. Naruto, not a bad anime (in its native language) but the action sequences are inconsistent, it'll show ten seconds of action/fighting, then a character will speak for three minutes...repeat. You saw the English dub for these particular anime programs, haven't you? If you have, my condolences. I have my reasons for liking Fansubs/native Japanese anime over most* English-dubbed anime, but I won't elaborate as to why; doing so will cause one heck of a sh**storm and I don't want to be a part of it. There, I said it.

(* "Most" meaning there are a few exceptions, such as Studio Ghibli, since they take the time to hire REAL and reputable voice actors)

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Subbed for the win
English voice acting sucks most of the time
Sometimes reminds me of this
That is way, way better than the average anime dub. The average anime dub makes me tear my hair out.
When I watch dubbed, i sometimes quote the great johnny wiseau.
This is bullshit

Hnnnng a language I can't understand.
So good.

wat.

/only quoted this post because it had both you weeaboos in it.

You two are about 13 years behind in dub quality. There's still landmines but in general anime dubs are solid. The only bad VA floating around is Illich Guardiola, that man is a fucking plague, but he's usually a minor character you hardly ever see/hear anyway. The only time I think a dub ruins the experience is in animes like Ika Musume where sea puns and de geso do NOT work at all in English. Or in Symphogear where they sing a fucking ton and no one can ever dub over Nana Mizuki and live to tell about it.

Reactions: 2 people

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when they cry(the VA could of been better but the story is good when you understand though play the visual novel higurashi when the cicadas cry first or you will be confused alot)

the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya(one of the few times the dub is almost as good as the sub)

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Subbed for the win
That is way, way better than the average anime dub. The average anime dub makes me tear my hair out.
This is bullshit

So good.

wat.

Much better than "Oh god, it sounds like a 5th grade school play, my ears are bleeding"
Give me a break. I'm talking about quality. Which you seem to know nothing about. The problem with most dubbed anime is also present in most western cartoons as well. Shitty acting. And hell, the acting might be shitty in Japanese, but as you say I can't understand it so it doesn't make me want to kill myself. If you'd read more than what you'd selectively quoted, you'd have noticed that there are several dubs that I liked, even preferred to the original. Fuck off.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Subbed for the win
This is bullshit

So good.

wat.

Much better than "Oh god, it sounds like a 5th grade school play, my ears are bleeding"
Give me a break. I'm talking about quality. Which you seem to know nothing about. The problem with most dubbed anime is also present in most western cartoons as well. Shitty acting. And hell, the acting might be shitty in Japanese, but as you say I can't understand it so it doesn't make me want to kill myself. If you'd read more than what you'd selectively quoted, you'd have noticed that there are several dubs that I liked, even preferred to the original. Fuck off.

The problem with most dubbed animes, is they're great and weeaboos still whine about it anyway. Get over it. If you're curious, it ISN'T 1999 anymore. I don't think you're aware of that fact or you'd stop spouting how bad dubs are, when they aren't anymore. It's kind of embarrassing dude. That and it shows you hardly, if never, watch dubs.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I'm relatively new to anime, I do have a few suggestions.

The Dragonball Saga (Overly long, so don't bother is you can't devote a lot of time. Its an excellent series.)
Trigun (fucking great!)
The mainstream animes (Naruto, Bleach, etc.)

I have a couple others, but they aren't action oriented, they have a mostly Ecchi/Romantic genre.

Girls Bravo
Shuffle!

Gundam Eclipse

True Demon Route
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
I see you liked Baccano!, then you should also watch Durarara!!. Its by the same guy who did Baccano and is just as great. It got dubbed, but I am not sure if all are dubbed yet.
I have several more suggestions, but none of them are available dubbed sadly.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem with most dubbed animes, is they're great and weeaboos still whine about it anyway. Get over it. If you're curious, it ISN'T 1999 anymore. I don't think you're aware of that fact or you'd stop spouting how bad dubs are, when they aren't anymore. It's kind of embarrassing dude. That and it shows you hardly, if never, watch dubs.
There are alot of dubs out there that are shit. and ruin the flow of the anime.
There are some dubs I like, I watched chrono crusade in dubbed and im watching chrome shelled regios in dubbed now. They are pritty good. Not to mention code geass was quality in dubbed.
I never once said that all dubs are bad, i said alot of the time they suck. Or have 1 main character in them who is done badly.
So stop using made up meme words like wee-boo to get a few laughs out of fools and accept that i have an opinion that may be different to yours.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Subbed for the win
This is bullshit

So good.

wat.

Let's turn this around. Perhaps I am not in fact a weeaboo for not liking badly acted dubs. Perhaps you simply are simply unable to recognize bad acting? Perhaps it is that you have absolutely no taste and are fully capable of swallowing any shitty voice acting thrown at you as long as it has words in it? Perhaps it's like perfect pitch. Some people can't tell one note from another, while others have to cover their ears if anything is even a semitone off

You think the bad dubs ended in 1999? Here, tell me this is good. Look me in the eye and tell me you can watch this. If you can, if you think this is all good... well, that might say more about you than me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qym7XbQ7ApE
5:04
Kamina and Virral at the very least absolutely destroy the English version of this high budget 2007 dub. There's many more like it. Almost all of the series I have tried to watch dubbed have a few decent characters... and then a couple of characters who are absolutely destroyed in translation, making the show impossible to watch. Sadly enough, it's usually the last character you would ever want ruined. I'm not just cherry picking a bad example either. They're usually like this.

Still, there are some dubs I genuinely enjoyed, sometimes more than the original. They just happen to be the exception rather than the rule. It's not the concept of dubs I really have anything against, just the execution.

All that aside, surely you realize that what we're arguing over is subjective? Though I may consider you tasteless, neither of us are actually right. We're entitled to our own opinions.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kamina and Virral at the very least absolutely destroy the English version of this high budget 2007 dub. There's many more like it. Almost all of the series I have tried to watch dubbed have a few decent characters... and then a couple of characters who are absolutely destroyed in translation, making the show impossible to watch. Sadly enough, it's usually the last character you would ever want ruined. I'm not just cherry picking a bad example either. They're usually like this.

From a hater of dubs across the board I have to agree. Tried watching the series in English and Kamina's voice was really fucking stupid. Like bad enough that I turned the language option to Moonspeak.

If I'm saying that an English dub is bad then you must know that it's pretty fucking bad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • B
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Fuck sigma, go with sugma.