Reccommend me some cosmic horror graphic novels

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay, so here's the thing: I love reading. But since I've got a kid to take care of, I seldomly get around to reading entire books anymore. But I've got a decent tablet, and over time I've found some great gems in the (electronic) graphic novel department.

Perhaps unfortunately, most graphic novels (comics) either fall in the "superhero" department and/or the "long running series" department. This is, of course, the author's good right. But I've personally outgrown my desire to see huge-ass explosions and protagonists doing all sorts of "bigger than life" stuff.
And I'm kind of fed up to start reading a series only to find out that the latest entries either haven't concluded the story or have abandoned it (or even worse: bring in all sorts of extra plot and characters just to keep things going).

Also: I find graphic novels a great medium for horror stories. The sense of dread and fear can be shown much better in images than in text, and unlike movies that often fall into camp or clichés because they're on a budget, they can even outshine movies (note: I'm generalising, of course).
But my taste is kind of picky in this regard as well. That is: I'm not a fan of camp. Even when it's well written (Preacher and even American vampire comes to mind), it's just "okay" by me. What grasps me more is psychological horror or, as mentioned in the title: cosmic horror. The kind of horror that depicts humanity as frail and insignificant, or at least their mental state. One where the best possible outcome is for the survivors to have to spend the rest of their lives with trauma's.

Yeah...I'm weird like that. So? I didn't make you click this link.

So...anyhow: if you've got some great horror titles to reccommend: by all means tell me. Especially when they're a finished series. :)

For reference sake, I'll yap a bit on my favorites in the genre:
* the whispering dark: came upon this when searching for good Lovecraftian horror. It's about US soldiers trapped behind enemy lines. But things get worse. Sort of classic, but it really showcases the evergrowing mental dilemma of the main character
* sanctum: a submarine expedition comes accross a gigantic temple underwater...but then things go all wrong. The whole environment (it's all underwater) makes it all the more frightening.
* N: it's almost cliché to list a Stephen King novel. But damnit, he's so fucking GOOD at his job. I mean, really: it's about seven stones. No, wait...eight. What's with the last one? It's so simple yet so clever in how it's set up that it's all the more creepy. Great stuff.
* The courtyard: it's Alan Moore, and it's apparently good. Started reading it without too much other info, but it hit me straight in the stomach. Pure Lovecraft, especially in what is NOT seen.
* Hotell: this is more leaning toward classic horror. Some spooky stuff, ghosts, ghouls, twin peaks-like characters...it might not 100% fit in this list (the psychological element's hardly there), but the story's original, creepy and well avoids the "campy" genre.
* Locke & Key: I only learned Joe Hill's King's son about halfway through. But he's no slouch. This is about as long as I like my series without things dragging on, but it's great horror with some genuine creepy ideas (ahem...the head key). Hill has more great stuff (wraith, the cape), but this one stands out.

D

Deleted User

Unfortunately, I don't have any Cosmic Horror Titles to recommend you as they weren't really my taste.

That said, if you are looking for good Horror visual stories, then all the Manga by Junji Ito should appeal to you.
They are quite graphic, however, so I'm unsure how much of that aspect adds or subtracts from your reading enjoyment.

If you're game to try, they are some of the best the Internet has a consensus on.

Reactions: Taleweaver

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Definitely recommend the Milligan/Bachalo run on Shade The Changing Man from the early 90's... not strictly 'cosmic horror', but it's in that wheelhouse. In fact, pretty much everything from that period in DC's Vertigo imprint is kind of in that wheelhouse; Sandman, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Black Orchid, Kid Eternity, etc
250px-Shade%2C_the_Changing_Man_1.jpg

Similarly, I'd recommend Alan Moore's run on Miracleman. Yes, it's technically a superhero story, but it ticks so many of the boxes you mention. It's also the first "deconstruction" of the superhero genre, coming a decade before Moore's seminal Watchmen.

Last edited by duwen,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
...I guess I should mention a few things now. :)

The Changing man is...okay. Well, okay: it's good and even great at moments. But I feel like Sandman is just better all around. Granted, Sandman might just be my favorite series ever...but it's not the type I was looking for. :hmm:

I gave Alan Moore's miracleman a try, but it was a complete dud. To the point where I'm even baffled this is the same writer that brought watchmen and V for Vendetta. Even as a superhero novel, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

But on the flipside: Junji Ito is ABSOLUTELY my cup of tea. It's a bit strange combination, though...many manga is extremely over the top, and some of Ito's work really is no exception (fuck...the first thing I read was Hellstar Remina...it's the most insane thing I've ever read). But he really has eye for detail and in addition to the - indeed - sometimes very graphical cruelties, he can make small things seem equally horrifying.
I wasn't originally looking for Lovecraftian horror with something else in the mix, but Lovecraftian manga (Uzumaki, Gyo and...I think it was, translated, called 'Fragments of horror') really hit that sweet spot.

Oh, and Hellstar remina is like an insane fever dream. Not what I was looking for with the OP, but absolutely great in its own right. :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Hands nipples pees and camel toes?