Homebrew DS(i) Mode hacking progress thread

ecaep42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Convoluted, yes. But isn't the ultimate goal of any homebrew community to maximise the potential of devices without additional hardware if possible? (One might count an original DS as "additional" - but far more people have one of them than a NTR flashcart, and they're kind of necessary for gen III Pokémon migration anyhow) Isn't that sort of thing why the developers are mucking around with enhanced nitro mode rather than just saying "buy a flashcart" then hopping off for a chocolate milk? Plus, flashcarts are contraband in some jurisdictions.

It's like with more traditional PCs - One system has a DVD drive, the other doesn't. Thankfully, smart people figured out protocols so that the one DVD drive can be networked to the other system, too.
Yes.I'm saying it's possible, but it would be pretty slow. It would be easier to get a dumper because there doesn't seem to be much interest in dumping GBA carts with download play, I'm not saying it won't happen I'm just saying not many people have interest in doing it at this time. The NTR/TWL mode is being poked around because Apache, Shutterbug and Ahezard (from what I can tell) have an interest in reverse-engineering the NTR/TWL firm.

Traditional PCs are also different kernels (Windows, Mac, Linux, and the thousands of Linux distros), and a very larger access to higher grade hardware that the 3DS does not.

TWL mode can see the SD card by default, because the DSi had an SD card. NTR mode can't see the SD card, but some clever people have figured out how to launch into a kind of "super" NTR mode, where you're in NTR mode but you have access to TWL hardware.
I thought they found a way to run DS apps on TWL. Thanks for correcting me.

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
by doing ds mode hacking it replaces the need to buy third party devices like nitro hax replaces action replay you can also card dump with out the need for a flash card or dongel same with dumping saves

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
a hacked 3ds replaces so many devices it replaces power saves it replaces action replay and will soon replace a ds flash card it already replaces a 3ds flash card like a hacked 3ds replaces the need for these third party devices

Last edited by hacksn5s4,

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes.I'm saying it's possible, but it would be pretty slow. It would be easier to get a dumper because there doesn't seem to be much interest in dumping GBA carts with download play, I'm not saying it won't happen I'm just saying not many people have interest in doing it at this time. The NTR/TWL mode is being poked around because Apache, Shutterbug and Ahezard (from what I can tell) have an interest in reverse-engineering the NTR/TWL firm.

Traditional PCs are also different kernels (Windows, Mac, Linux, and the thousands of Linux distros), and a very larger access to higher grade hardware that the 3DS does not.
That sounds like a "do it yourself" challenge, more than attempted dissuasion. I dunno, a bit steep for a first ever project. Perhaps if the stars align.

Interest is up to the developer, after all. But knowing that it is fundamentally possible with our present system knowledge might get people interested.

(The hardware thing would only affect the bandwidth, ultimately. If the tool was around already, it would be easier than buying a dumper. And the bottleneck wouldn't lie with the 3DS. The real problem would be the transfer protocol. It doesn't take much hardware to run SMB. The Wii and 3DS do it no sweat. The DS, on the other hand? I have no idea. I know wi-fi dumping tools for it already exist. They're just not sendable over Download Play, as far as I know. Which is my cue to research!)

Last edited by N7Kopper,

ecaep42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds like a "do it yourself" challenge, more than attempted dissuasion. I dunno, a bit steep for a first ever project. Perhaps if the stars align.

Interest is up to the developer, after all. But knowing that it is fundamentally possible with our present system knowledge might get people interested.

(The hardware thing would only affect the bandwidth, ultimately. If the tool was around already, it would be easier than buying a dumper. And the bottleneck wouldn't lie with the 3DS. The real problem would be the transfer protocol. It doesn't take much hardware to run SMB. The Wii and 3DS do it no sweat. The DS, on the other hand? I have no idea. I know wi-fi dumping tools for it already exist. They're just not sendable over Download Play, as far as I know. Which is my cue to research!)
I never tried to tell someone to not to make it nor make a cart reader, I just said it isn't of much interest by people right now and buying or making your own would be more practical at this current time.

I'm not saying the 3DS is bottlenecked, I'm saying the connection between them could pose as a bottleneck, unless it's already been attempted and I don't know about it.

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
could we over clock ds games since the arm 9 in the 3ds has a higher clock rate then the ds and the dsi and it just down clocks it when you play a ds game

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How I wish we could use DS cart games so we could downgrade NATIVE_FIRM to downgrade 11.0 3DS. hehe.
Pointless.
The unpatched TWL_FIRM doesn't allow NAND access to cartridge games, and if you can patch it to do so, you have no need to, and are only opening a potential security hole in the process. And not the good kind, either. Remember BrickMe?

Oh, and I did find some GCN/Wii homebrew for GBA dumping after all. ^_^ http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3410

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
got a little curious, DSi mode SD access is for the 3DS, (which we hope in time, will load ds backups of the sd)

could it, by any chance also allow (with the breakthroughs of information) for DSi unit itself to Load Games from the SD card?
wait so like we could hack the dsi (To load backups) then some how transfer it to TWL_FIRM on the 3ds?

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
wait so like we could hack the dsi (To load backups) then some how transfer it to TWL_FIRM on the 3ds?
Sorry for ot

Actually, it is the other way around.
Current developments allows sd access on the 3ds in dsi mode, i can see a somewhat long link that it could potentially enable the real dsi to physically load from the sd via current discoveries.

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Actually, it is the other way around.
Current developments allows sd access on the 3ds in dsi mode, i can see a somewhat long link that it could potentially enable the real dsi to physically load from the sd via current discoveries.

so your saying that after we hack the 3ds, copy it over to the DSi?

JuanmaHL

Trophies
XP
Country
How to launch the dsx86 with the homebrewdsilauncher?, it freezes at libfat. I have all the files patched, i dont have flashcart. I can launch demos/homebrew with wood3ds without flashcart??

Last edited by JuanmaHL,

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Older homebrew that relied on DLDI will NOT work from SD as they currently are. They have to be patched to access SD and will hang otherwise. We have source to hbmenu so that's why hbmenu can use SD in NTR mode now. :D

DSx86 is open source I think. You just have to port it to latest devkitarm and recompile it. It will then work from SD in NTR mode. You have to disable DSi mode detection in libnds though else it will mistake the new unlocked NTR mode as DSi mode and things like touch screen controls will break among possible UI bugs.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

undergroundmonorail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Older homebrew that relied on DLDI will NOT work from SD as they currently are. They have to be patched to access SD and will hang otherwise. We have source to hbmenu so that's why hbmenu can use SD in NTR mode now. :D

DSx86 is open source I think. You just have to port it to latest devkitarm and recompile it. It will then work from SD in NTR mode. You have to disable DSi mode detection in libnds though else it will mistake the new unlocked NTR mode as DSi mode and things like touch screen controls will break among possible UI bugs.

Once people solve slot 1 i/o redirection for launching .nds roms, do I assume correctly that the same would work for older homebrew? Or will manually patching still be required?

TarableCode

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Testers needed (mostly flashcart users):

https://github.com/ApacheThunder/NTR_Launcher/releases/tag/0.9b

Curious as to how many flashcarts are bootable with this. It's basically a stripped down version of Nitrohax that only launches the card in slot-1 without a cheat engine. No SD init or DLDI and is quick.

Remember that little app on Filetrip by tbe name of "Launch DS Cart"? Well this is basically that only open source because who ever made that originally was a douche and didn't open source it (totally broke GNU by doing that).

My version is a little better anyways. It works on a 3DS/n3DS. :D

Maybe some older flashcarts will work with this. Wold save me the trouble of having to make more stage2 launchers. This is basically a universal stage2 launcher. :D

This uses ahezard's new card reset code. You need patched dev launcher to use this just like with the new release of NitroHax. If you fail to have patched dev launcher, the program will give you an obvious error telling you what went wrong. :D

My R4i RTS 3DS loaded fine and dsx86 initializes libfat in DSi mode but the touchscreen is non responsive.
Awesome progress though :)

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
My R4i RTS 3DS loaded fine and dsx86 initializes libfat in DSi mode but the touchscreen is non responsive.
Awesome progress though :)

Yeah DSx86 seems to have DSi support. Touch screen breaks because in NTR mode with the SD stuff enabled, DSx86 mistakes it for DSi mode and uses the wrong code for touchscreen. It's an issue with libnds specifically. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ohhh can we use AI to crack passwords faster?