Homebrew DS(i) Mode hacking progress thread

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
i'm in this scene late, haven't bothered reading all 14 pages of the thread.

So basically, someday, we might be able to install nds rom as cias like we do with gba vc cias?

Substance12

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
i'm in this scene late, haven't bothered reading all 14 pages of the thread.

So basically, someday, we might be able to install nds rom as cias like we do with gba vc cias?

Not yet. Basically, all that there is to it is a save tool and unused, unfinished code to dump .nds files. The title is extremely misleading.

Reactions: Hiccup

OctopusRift

GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Ctrcardhax relies on both processors sharing that bus. The arm11 can read 3ds games and the arm9 needs access to Ds games.
*NtrCardHax.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The TWL partitions? TWLN and TWLP (TWLP is just the photo partition, not much useful going on there) There's only one TWL_FIRM though. There is no FIRM0/FIRM1 partition for TWL.
Ah thanks. I know you are the DSi pro so excuse my ignorance ;)

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
They force a system reboot (different type than what's used in games such as smash bros). As of the moment, no one has figured out how to make this stick in emunand (though this MIGHT be feasible with tinkering with arm9loaderhax...). This is basically the same reason gba games have to be installed on both - the emunand starts the game being launched, and sysnand loads the game content (at least that's a high level view of it).
You would need something like a native_firm patch to reboot from a patched twl_firm from sd card (which reads from the emunand TWLN/TWLP). This patch already exists for "native_firm to native_firm" reboots.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBA games run is GBA mode, not 3DS mode. The 3DS has the GBA firm that GBA games run under.
That's exactly my point. Nintendo did try to make a GBA emulator to run in 3DS mode, and it ran horribly.A nintendon't like situation would be like running DS in 3DS mode afaik, so I'm not sure it will run well, though I don't know the 3DS as well as other people

Arm7 not accessible from CTR mode. Arm7 is important for TWL software and it uses memory shared by Arm9. This obviously means you can't use it at all while in CTR mode. (because Arm9 only runs one process and that's Process9).

So you'd have to translate a lot of TWL instructions to work on Arm11 where CTR mode software work on. Good luck with that. :P
Not too too familiar with the ARM revisions, but arn't the higher ARM processors backwards compatible with the lower ones?

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about hacking the TWL_FIRM so that if you put in a normal DS flashcart the hack prevents the 3DS from turning off the DSi mode? The cart would work normally, it's just that when it asks for non-DSi permissions the 3DS gives it DSi permissions instead.

Last edited by Jiro2,

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not too too familiar with the ARM revisions, but arn't the higher ARM processors backwards compatible with the lower ones?
Not really related to the topic of this thread, but everyone's essentially running in circles so.
How does the (New) 3DS CPU actually work? I see all this talk about ARM7, ARM9, and ARM11. What does that all mean? Do they represent a CPU core on the 3DS? Thanks in advanced!

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really related to the topic of this thread, but everyone's essentially running in circles so.
How does the (New) 3DS CPU actually work? I see all this talk about ARM7, ARM9, and ARM11. What does that all mean? Do they represent a CPU core on the 3DS? Thanks in advanced!
The New 3DS basically just has more RAM and processing power. ARM7, 9, and 11 are all their own CPU's. Arm 7 was in GBA and DS, DS also had Arm9, and 3DS uses Arm9 and 11 for 3DS mode, but ARM 7 for GBA and DS(i) mode.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The New 3DS basically just has more RAM and processing power. ARM7, 9, and 11 are all their own CPU's. Arm 7 was in GBA and DS, DS also had Arm9, and 3DS uses Arm9 and 11 for 3DS mode, but ARM 7 for GBA and DS(i) mode.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong
Ds(I) mode uses arm9, and I believe arm7 is inside the arm9 chip. Arm7 is only useable in ds(i) mode and gba mode

Reactions: froggestspirit

TheNerdWIzard

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's exactly my point. Nintendo did try to make a GBA emulator to run in 3DS mode, and it ran horribly.A nintendon't like situation would be like running DS in 3DS mode afaik, so I'm not sure it will run well, though I don't know the 3DS as well as other people

The GBA ambassador games ran just fine, what are you talking about? They run in GBA mode not 3DS mode. What GBA emulator are you talking about?

Reactions: Zidapi

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GBA ambassador games ran just fine, what are you talking about? They run in GBA mode not 3DS mode. What GBA emulator are you talking about?
I'm pretty sure AGB_FIRM uses GBA hardware that's inside the 3DS.

Nintendo tried to make an emulator that runs in CTR/3DS mode. it did not go well, hence AGB_FIRM.

Reactions: Billy Acuña

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you inject a GBA rom into a GB,GBC,or NES virtual console game, it will trigger an unused GBA emulator in 3DS mode (not the ambassador one). It's likely that this was an early on attempt from nintendo, but was scrapped

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you inject a GBA rom into a GB,GBC,or NES virtual console game, it will trigger an unused GBA emulator in 3DS mode (not the ambassador one). It's likely that this was an early on attempt from nintendo, but was scrapped

Wonder if it runs WORSE on the o3ds, since the youtube video that was linked a bit ago shows it running on an n3ds?

TheNerdWIzard

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, I didn't know that.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, so the 3DS includes GBA and DS hardware? That's pretty cool.
Well the DS used some of the GBA hardware (mainly the CPU) and included other hardware to be compatible with GBA games, so why not throw in a way to run GBA on what is basically the original DS hardware included in the SoC (which means system on a chip) and it'd be pretty hard to run DS games from the cart slot on something that didn't have the hardware built in...

Last edited by dark_samus3,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work