Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Hello! First of all, thank you very much for this amazing tool.

My question today is, if I open an NDS game via the icon on the 3ds home screen generated by the NDS Forwarder, will I still be getting the 133 Mhz and 48 KHz options activated via the TWiLight Menu++? Or do I have to open the games via the TWiLight Menu++ to get those activated?

Thanks in advance!
it won't use TWiLight's settings, but you can hold Y while loading the forwarder to change its settings.

BatIron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hi, i have a issue, for a while i`ve try to update to the last version but them when i open twilight the system reboot (in a dsi with Hiya CFW obviously) is there any fix for that? (btw, if is need sd info is from 2gb and have 200-ish space free)

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, i have a issue, for a while i`ve try to update to the last version but them when i open twilight the system reboot (in a dsi with Hiya CFW obviously) is there any fix for that? (btw, if is need sd info is from 2gb and have 200-ish space free)
The system is supposed to reboot into TWiLight Menu++ to work around NAND reading issues.
Are you still able to start TWiLight Menu++ from the Unlaunch menu?

VitorMG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
it won't use TWiLight's settings, but you can hold Y while loading the forwarder to change its settings.
Thanks for the response, I managed to figure it out.

Also, if I open my retail cartridge games within the TWiLight's menu with all my preferred options enabled, will I get things like 133 MHz and improved sound quality activated? Or are those exclusive to rom files?

BatIron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The system is supposed to reboot into TWiLight Menu++ to work around NAND reading issues.
Are you still able to start TWiLight Menu++ from the Unlaunch menu?
I fixed, the problem was that i dont update the unlaunch since i install all the cfw in like 2019 xd thx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this happened yesterday and i wanted to ask about it because of how strange it was. In pokemon soulsilver i tried resetting my save file because i was messing around with shiny hacks and had a few hacks open, and i pressed up select and b to reset it but the screen just went black. Then the r4 stopped being readable for a second and when it did work it said “Cannot find _DS_MENU.DAT”. I then checked out the sd card on my computer and literally all the files i had on there were corrupted. I luckily had a backup of most of my games, but i had to redownload all of the software and emulators, along with all of my save files being deleted. It took a few hours, but i just wanted to ask if any of you know what it was and why it happened.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, if I open my retail cartridge games within the TWiLight's menu with all my preferred options enabled, will I get things like 133 MHz and improved sound quality activated? Or are those exclusive to rom files?
Improved sound quality should work with cartridges, but you won't be able to use 133 MHz. Currently, for Slot-1, it can only be used with flashcard ROMs, if the necessary files are installed in order for TWiLight Menu++ to read flashcard contents.
So this happened yesterday and i wanted to ask about it because of how strange it was. In pokemon soulsilver i tried resetting my save file because i was messing around with shiny hacks and had a few hacks open, and i pressed up select and b to reset it but the screen just went black. Then the r4 stopped being readable for a second and when it did work it said “Cannot find _DS_MENU.DAT”. I then checked out the sd card on my computer and literally all the files i had on there were corrupted. I luckily had a backup of most of my games, but i had to redownload all of the software and emulators, along with all of my save files being deleted. It took a few hours, but i just wanted to ask if any of you know what it was and why it happened.
Sounds like the game has somehow overwrote the sector table in memory. Should be possible to fix for the next nds-bootstrap version (if that's what you we're using as game loader).

BigGangster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used Twilight Menu++ a lot, and it's great. Everything looks nice, and had played NDS games on my New 2DS XL. I did try some other games from NES, GB, GBA, SNES, A2600, A5200, A7800, A800, Master System, and Colecovision, and they play and run solid.

Reactions: RocketRobz

niklakis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hi, I have a 2DS XL and use the 3DS theme and noticed the icons at the top of the touch screen. When I press either the friend list icon or the icon to it's right (not sure what it represents) I get start failed error -2. What are they supposed to open and why am I getting this error? Also another thing, the instruction manual (green book icon) has tearing when scrolling.

The app works perfectly for me and these are minor nitpicks I noticed while messing around.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I have a 2DS XL and use the 3DS theme and noticed the icons at the top of the touch screen. When I press either the friend list icon or the icon to it's right (not sure what it represents) I get start failed error -2. What are they supposed to open and why am I getting this error? Also another thing, the instruction manual (green book icon) has tearing when scrolling.

The app works perfectly for me and these are minor nitpicks I noticed while messing around.
The friend list icon is actually the Pictochat icon, and the next one is the Download Play icon. Those open their respective apps.
For the apps to work, put both "pictochat.nds" and "dlplay.nds" in "sd:/_nds/".

In the next version, a message will appear if "pictochat.nds" doesn't exist, and DLPlay will be launched from the console itself if "dlplay.nds" doesn't exist.

Reactions: SylverReZ

niklakis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The friend list icon is actually the Pictochat icon, and the next one is the Download Play icon. Those open their respective apps.
For the apps to work, put both "pictochat.nds" and "dlplay.nds" in "sd:/_nds/".

In the next version, a message will appear if "pictochat.nds" doesn't exist, and DLPlay will be launched from the console itself if "dlplay.nds" doesn't exist.
Thank you very much for the response!

v26.1.1

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v26.1.1
Includes nds-bootstrap v1.0.1 (GBATemp thread)

What's new?​

• Added a new feature where you can test out the upcoming GBARunner3!
    1. To enable it, set `GBARUNNER3_TEST` to `1` in `sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/settings.ini`
    2. Build from source code here: https://github.com/Gericom/GBARunner3
    3. Copy `bootstrap.nds` to `sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/emulators/`, and rename to `GBARunner3.nds`
    4. Launch a GBA game, and report any issues you encounter to https://github.com/Gericom/GBARunner3/issues
    5. As of this TWLMenu++ release, GBARunner3 currently doesn't work on DS flashcards.
    6. If you want good compatibility when playing GBA games, please stick to GBARunner2 for now. Only use GBARunner3 for testing purposes.
  • A message will now appear when attempting to launch Pictochat or Download Play in the 3DS theme if their `.nds` files don't exist in `/_nds/`.

Bug fixes​

• Fixed AP-fixes for
  • Fixed internet browser not launching correctly in 3DS theme when not in the same location as the `.nds` file of the browser.
  • RAM disk setting is now changeable again.
  • Launching Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time on DS flashcards will no longer show the "known to not work" message when trying to run it with nds-bootstrap/B4DS.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

BigGangster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v26.1.1
Includes nds-bootstrap v1.0.1 (GBATemp thread)

What's new?​

• Added a new feature where you can test out the upcoming GBARunner3!
    1. To enable it, set `GBARUNNER3_TEST` to `1` in `sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/settings.ini`
    2. Build from source code here: https://github.com/Gericom/GBARunner3
    3. Copy `bootstrap.nds` to `sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/emulators/`, and rename to `GBARunner3.nds`
    4. Launch a GBA game, and report any issues you encounter to https://github.com/Gericom/GBARunner3/issues
    5. As of this TWLMenu++ release, GBARunner3 currently doesn't work on DS flashcards.
    6. If you want good compatibility when playing GBA games, please stick to GBARunner2 for now. Only use GBARunner3 for testing purposes.
  • A message will now appear when attempting to launch Pictochat or Download Play in the 3DS theme if their `.nds` files don't exist in `/_nds/`.

Bug fixes​

• Fixed AP-fixes for
  • Fixed internet browser not launching correctly in 3DS theme when not in the same location as the `.nds` file of the browser.
  • RAM disk setting is now changeable again.
  • Launching Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time on DS flashcards will no longer show the "known to not work" message when trying to run it with nds-bootstrap/B4DS.
Wow, GBARunner3 out for testing, that's cool!

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
hello friends, I would like to update my version of TWL++ (which I installed on a flashcard last year), to do that I just need to replace the _nds folder (and its contents) and the BOOT.nds file, right?

On the other hand I use TWL++ only to launch DSIWare games on my ds lite so where can I find an updated compatibility list for dsiware games on ds lite or ds phat?

Thanks in advance

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello friends, I would like to update my version of TWL++ (which I installed on a flashcard last year), to do that I just need to replace the _nds folder (and its contents) and the BOOT.nds file, right?
For the most part, yes. Full instructions are here: https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/updating-flashcard
On the other hand I use TWL++ only to launch DSIWare games on my ds lite so where can I find an updated compatibility list for dsiware games on ds lite or ds phat?

Thanks in advance
Same link as always: https://github.com/DS-Homebrew/TWiLightMenu/blob/master/universal/include/compatibleDSiWareMap.h

Reactions: Indy13

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi, here comes a small contribution.

I missed a lot of info about the ds-mode emulators included into twlm++, which systems emulate, which bios do they need and last but not least where do these bios need to be, for each emulator.

Sorry for the bad formatting and my bad English. Hope this helps anyone. The twlm++ wiki would be a good place, if you consider this useful.

A5200DS - (Atari 5200). Need the bios
5200.rom
in the same folders where the emulators reside
sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/emulators/ , or in sd:/roms/bios/
A7800DS - (Atari 7800 ProSystem) . Need the bios
highscore.rom
A8DS - (Atari800XL/XEGS) . Need the bios
atarixl.rom atariosb.rom ataribas.rom
AmEDS - (Amstrad CPC) . Bios not needed, in theory.
ColecoDS - (Colecovision, and a bunch of other systems: ADAM, Casio PV-2000,
MSX1, Sord-M5, Memotech MTX, Spectravision SVI, Hanimex Pencil II, Tatung
Einstein, SG-1000/SC-3000, and the Creativision). Need the bios
bioscv.rom, cf-2700.rom, coleco.rom, cx5m.rom, einstein.rom, eos.rom,
fc-200.rom, fs-1300.rom, hb-10.rom, hx-10.rom, msx.rom, pencil2.rom,
pv2000.rom, pv-7.rom, sordm5p.rom, sordm5.rom, svi.rom y writer.rom
CrocoDS - (Amstrad CPC) . Bios not needed, in theory.
GameYob - (Nintendo GB / GB Color) . To colorize GB games as a GBC would do,
it needs the bios
gbc_bios.bin
in the same directory where the games are, according to the docs. Some people
report this working and some other people need an existing /gameyobds.ini
configuration file, so you can put the exact bios path there.
If missing, that file can be generated from inside the emulator.
GBARunner2 - (Nintendo GBA) . Need the bios
bios.bin
in either the root folder, /gba , or /_gba
jEnesisDS - (SEGA Megadrive) . Bios not needed, in theory.
nesDS - (Nintendo NES) . For playing fds roms, you have to put the bios
disksys.rom
in the root folder.
NGPDS - (Neo Geo Pocket bw and colour). Need the bios
'[BIOS] SNK Neo Geo Pocket (Japan, Europe).ngp'
'[BIOS] SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color (World) (En,Ja).ngp'
at any folder, for example the same folder where the emulators are sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/emulators/ , and
configure the emulador so that they're read from there, one or the other. Save config.
Nintellivision - (Intellivision) . Need the bios
ecs.bin exec.bin grom.bin ivoice.bin
NitroGrafx - (PC-Engine). To be able to load cdrom games, you need the bios from the cdrom drive,
[BIOS] CD-ROM System (Japan) (v1.0).pce
[BIOS] CD-ROM System (Japan) (v2.0).pce
[BIOS] CD-ROM System (Japan) (v2.1).pce
[BIOS] Super CD-ROM System (Japan) (v3.0).pce (the most compatible)
[BIOS] TurboGrafx CD Super System Card (USA) (v3.0).pce
[BIOS] TurboGrafx CD System Card (USA) (v2.0).pce
at any folder, for example the same folder where the emulators are sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/emulators/, and
configure the emulador so that it's read from there. Save config.
NitroSwan - (WonderSwan). Need the bios
'[BIOS] SwanCrystal Boot ROM (Japan) (En).wsc'
'[BIOS] WonderSwan Boot ROM (Japan) (En).ws'
'[BIOS] WonderSwan Color Boot ROM (Japan) (En).wsc'
at any folder, for example the same folder where the emulators are sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/emulators/ , and
configure the emulador so that they're read from there, one by one. Save config.
PicoDriveTWL - (SEGA Megadrive) . Bios not needed, in theory.
PokeMini - (Pokémon Mini) . The real bios is recommended,
bios.min
in the same folders where the emulators reside sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/emulators/
S8DS - (several 8-bit systems mainly from sega: SEGA SG-1000/SG-1000 II,
SEGA SC-3000, SEGA Mark III, SEGA Master System J, 1 & 2, SEGA Game Gear, SEGA
System-E, Coleco, MSX 1, Sord M5). Need the bios
'[BIOS] ColecoVision (USA, Europe).col'
'[BIOS] Sega Game Gear (USA) (Majesco).gg'
'[BIOS] Sega Master System (Japan) (v2.1).sms'
'[BIOS] Sega Master System (USA, Europe) (v1.3).sms'
MSX_S8DS.ROM (you may use any name different from the rom for ColecoDS, which uses a fixed filename)
sordm5.rom
configure the emulador so that they're read from there, one by one. Save config.
SNEmulDS - (Nintendo SNES) . Bios not needed, in theory.
StellaDS - (Atari 2600) . Bios not needed, in theory.

DatOver9KSaiyan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello @RocketRobz I don't know if it's your app or the boot strap but I've been getting a red screen here and there while playing TLoZ: Phantom Hourglass and it started doing this today after I got to the half way point of the game

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello @RocketRobz I don't know if it's your app or the boot strap but I've been getting a red screen here and there while playing TLoZ: Phantom Hourglass and it started doing this today after I got to the half way point of the game
Are you sure it's when killing an enemy? It's known to occur when moving some statue.
Try changing ARM9 CPU Speed to TWL in the per-game settings menu (opened by pressing Y button in TWLMenu++).

Reactions: DatOver9KSaiyan

DatOver9KSaiyan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure it's when killing an enemy? It's known to occur when moving some statue.
Try changing ARM9 CPU Speed to TWL in the per-game settings menu (opened by pressing Y button in TWLMenu++).
Both actually and alright I'll try that. I will let you know if it occurs again or not
Post automatically merged:

Welp🥲

Attachments

• 20230929_195751.jpg
    20230929_195751.jpg
    770.2 KB · Views: 14

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed