Hacking Downgraded to 4.2 without the Gateway, then got the Gateway and now I'm stuck

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably would have been better off not downgrading since you didn't have a gateway to begin with, try out the 9.2 exploit first and then decide if a downgrade was needed. I'm running on 9.2 and have no issues at all and see no benefit in a downgrade other than the offline exploit, which Go! Gateway Android app takes care of if I'm on the road.

Anyway, to each his own. That's just my own opinion.
Screenshots, cheats and plugins.

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK just to be sure here, the downgrade for everyone here wiped all of your e-shop titles?

And is there any way to figure out which version of my red Gateway card I'm on?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screenshots, cheats and plugins.

What plugins? I can live without screenshots and the only thing I saw which was cool but can also live without was gold pants on my mii. I just like using my console as a console with eShop access, the more I have to take my SD card out of the thing just makes it feel like more time/work in the end and takes the enjoyability away.

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, I just went into my home screen and Luigi's Mansion 2 which I downloaded and purchased from the e-shop ages ago, shows up and plays just fine. But why is Zelda Four Swords missing?

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Hammy you have emuNAND set up right? If you're in emuNAND mode, you need to update your console by going to system settings and verifying that it says "GW 4.2.0" as your firmware. Or GW 4.2.something I don't remember. Just make sure that it says GW. Then without leaving system settings, just update the console. This will update the emuNAND to 9.5 while keeping sysNAND at 4.2.x. Then in emuNAND mode you can enter the eShop and download all the titles that were wiped, though I believe the saves are gone.

There are detailed guides on how to do it, but I also uploaded a video of me doing the process if you wanna watch that and follow along, which I feel helps a lot of users which you can watch here.

Reactions: Hammyface

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are so awesome, Ericzander. Thanks a million; I am watching your video right now.

However, I still don't understand why Luigi's Mansion 2 from the e-shop is showing up and working fine?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll point out that all of what we are doing is not fully supported by a truly established company. That being said, there will likely be differences in each users experience. Not all questions and behaviors can be explained, but there is a base guideline on how to get to the end result which is a fully functional emuNAND with eShop support, CIA installations, etc.

I can't explain why Luigi's Mansion shows up in your menu, but what matters is that you have emuNAND access, can update emuNAND, gain access to the eShop and re-download your copy of Four Swords. As long as you can do that, I think you will be okay.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Hm... Now that I think about it, I didn't lose any of my games after downgrading. When I formatted my 3DS to unlink the nands I did but not during the actual downgrade process. Maybe it's because I backed up my SD card and when I put them back on my SD card the games showed up.

Oh and btw, once you get emuNAND completely updated, I recommend using a theme on it so you can tell the difference. Also, I recommend unlinking the sys and emuNand so you distance yourself from sysNAND as much as possible. Also, put dummy data into the wifi section of sysNAND so you don't get the update nag.

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm... Now that I think about it, I didn't lose any of my games after downgrading. When I formatted my 3DS to unlink the nands I did but not during the actual downgrade process. Maybe it's because I backed up my SD card and when I put them back on my SD card the games showed up.

Oh and btw, once you get emuNAND completely updated, I recommend using a theme on it so you can tell the difference. Also, I recommend unlinking the sys and emuNand so you distance yourself from sysNAND as much as possible. Also, put dummy data into the wifi section of sysNAND so you don't get the update nag.

I promise this will be the last time I bother you. I have emuNAND working perfectly. How do I "unlink" the sysNAND and emuNAND? And the wifi dummy data thing you suggested?

Your Youtube videos were awesome by the way.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I actually lost my mario bros 2 game, it was a cia that came with the 3dsxl. I haven't found time to figure out why, might as well check it out now.

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have about 5 blank spots on my home screen; I know for a fact I lost Zelda Four Swords but I am not sure what else I lost. All my ambassador stuff seems to be there.

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did download it (obviously under emuNAND) but the game just gives me a black screen.

I was able to find the other titles that were mysteriously removed: Shantae Risky's Revenge, Slingo Quest, Electroplankton and of course Four Swords.

However after I downloaded them I try to run them and none of them will boot up.

When I go back to sysNAND (4.2) after rebooting my 3DS, those 4 games will not show up. :unsure:

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like you're gonna have to use the GW emunand to get this puppy going, backup the SD using a proper parition reader, because you want to ensure you also backup the emunand parition, and then go back into the gw menu and follow the guide to creating emunand. create a backup of your nand while you're at it.

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks but I am using GW emunand.

When I did the downgrade process, somehow I lost 4 games that I purchased from the e-shop. Shantae Risky's Revenge, Slingo Quest, Electroplankton and Zelda: Four Swords.

I went into emuNAND, went to the e-shop, redownloaded those 4 games, and they showed up on my emunand's homescreen fine. However, when I try to play any of them, the console hardlocks on a black screen.

Other e-shop titles I purchased (like Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon) play just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

When I did the downgrade process, somehow I lost 4 games that I purchased from the e-shop. Shantae Risky's Revenge, Slingo Quest, Electroplankton and Zelda: Four Swords.

I went into emuNAND, went to the e-shop, redownloaded those 4 games, and they showed up on my emunand's homescreen fine. However, when I try to play any of them, the console hardlocks on a black screen.

Other e-shop titles I purchased (like Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon) play just fine.

Did you create a nand backup before downgrading?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Something happened to the titles in sysNAND then. I bet if you were to go into Data Management you would see 4 or 5 0-byte items which account for your old games which is what is causing the crash. You will need to either delete them from sysNAND data management, and redownload in emuNAND, or unlink your sysNAND and emuNAND by doing a system format of your sysNAND, taking a backup of your emuNAND, reformatting emuNAND, and then restoring your emuNAND, then re-downloading them in emuNAND. I have a feeling you're going to hit the gift wrap bug after you re-download them which is why I suggest unlinking your NAND's.

Edit: If you're going to unlink your sys/emu NAND's I highly recommend you read the guides and follow them as mine is just a rough guideline.

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something happened to the titles in sysNAND then. I bet if you were to go into Data Management you would see 4 or 5 0-byte items

Nope, no 0 byte items are showing up. Remember, these four titles refuse to show up on my home screen as well.

Really am stumped over here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/0_4nmW5GZhQ?si=uqlLS7oKzy-B0n6z