Hacking Downgraded to 4.2 without the Gateway, then got the Gateway and now I'm stuck

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I am really stumped because I did everything a bit differently so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I downgraded my 3DS XL (not the new one) using the GBATemp guide. I used the guide that tells you how to do it without a Gateway. Anyway, it did it just fine (though I did notice about 4 or 5 of my titles on my homescreen disappeared...not sure which ones yet but does anyone know why that would happen?) but the Palantine CFW only worked like 1 out of every 10 tries so I decided to just buy a Gateway instead. By the way I did all the steps in that guide just fine; dumped the NAND, Injected NAND into EmuNAND, etc.

Anyway I got the Gateway on Wednesday and since then I have non-stop been trying to get it to work but I cannot. Following the guide on their website, the place where I get stuck is when I choose "Boot Gateway Mode". I choose that, and it just dumps me back to the 3DS home screen.

The guide says after choosing "Boot Gateway Mode" that I should see this screen:

ZpNQeyf.png

However, this screen never comes up and it just keeps dumping me back to the home screen. I am not sure why. I am thinking maybe something is screwy because I already did the "downgrade" guide and CFW guide from here before this? But because of that, I now have no clue what to do next because the Gateway card still does not show up in my home screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated; I stayed up the last two nights trying to figure this out myself but now I must humbly ask for help from you fine folks!

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it dumps you back into home screen, press select to bring up the multirom menu.
Thank you so much! That worked. So basically every time I want to use the Gateway I have to go to the web browser and go to that website to boot into Gateway mode? What if the site ever goes down, or if I am on an airplane? :)

Reactions: blinkzane

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to create emunand to protect your sysnand, please follow the guide.

I did. It says so right in my first post.

Why don't you use the DS profile exploit (offline) instead of web browser?

Well only because it says on the FAQ that any time I run a DS game or DS software it will get removed. I play Four Sword Adventures a lot on my 3DS (it is a DS software title) and it would be a huge pain....

Is there a way to make it so the Gateway mode is always booted when I turn on the console? So sorry if that's a really dumb question.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
no, ytou always need to re-install the exploit if you run any DS game/ds software....so its upto to you, whatever you find more convenient, you could always just take your blue card with you if your going out and expect to play any DS titles which would remove the exploit and nope, you will always need to do either the DS profile exploit or web exploit to enter gateway mode

Reactions: Hammyface

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably would have been better off not downgrading since you didn't have a gateway to begin with, try out the 9.2 exploit first and then decide if a downgrade was needed. I'm running on 9.2 and have no issues at all and see no benefit in a downgrade other than the offline exploit, which Go! Gateway Android app takes care of if I'm on the road.

Anyway, to each his own. That's just my own opinion.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thank you so much! That worked. So basically every time I want to use the Gateway I have to go to the web browser and go to that website to boot into Gateway mode? What if the site ever goes down, or if I am on an airplane? :)
If you have an Android phone you can download Go! Gateway (it should be in Play Store if it hasn't been removed) and use that with wifi tethering to launch the exploit when you are offline.

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I definitely want to dump my eshop games, especially the coveted Four Swords Zelda game.

I also definitely want to do EmuNand because I want to be able to go onto the e-shop and buy stuff and play online with retail carts.

Thanks for all the tips. I will just leave the exploit on my DStwo and reinstall it every time I play a DS game :)

The only issue I am having now is that none of my backups work (stuck at the Nintendo 3DS loading screen) and I think it's because I can't update my red card?

Following the directions perfectly, I put the newest Launcher.dat in the root of my 3DS' SD card and launched the browser exploit. I booted into Gateway mode, and according to Gateways website, I should be prompted to update the red card. However, I am never prompted. Does anyone know what's going on? Did I screw this all up because of the mods I did before receiving the Gateway or something?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I definitely want to dump my eshop games, especially the coveted Four Swords Zelda game.

I also definitely want to do EmuNand because I want to be able to go onto the e-shop and buy stuff and play online with retail carts.

Thanks for all the tips. I will just leave the exploit on my DStwo and reinstall it every time I play a DS game :)

The only issue I am having now is that none of my backups work (stuck at the Nintendo 3DS loading screen) and I think it's because I can't update my red card?

Following the directions perfectly, I put the newest Launcher.dat in the root of my 3DS' SD card and launched the browser exploit. I booted into Gateway mode, and according to Gateways website, I should be prompted to update the red card. However, I am never prompted. Does anyone know what's going on? Did I screw this all up because of the mods I did before receiving the Gateway or something?

Have you made an emuNAND partition yet? You will only be prompted to update when you try to launch into emuNAND mode from the GW menu. When you say "GW Mode" I'm not sure if you mean the actual GW menu or the GW emuNAND.

From your first post it seems you've already made an emuNAND partition since launching the exploit takes you to your homescreen - emuNAND is going to be a hard copy of sysNAND when you make it so they will look the same. Without an emuNAND partition created, when you launch the exploit then you are presented the GW menu where you can create cart backups, emunand and other stuff.

The only way to tell if you're in emuNAND is going into system settings and checking for "GW" in front of your version number - but after you leave system settings in emuNAND you're going to be booted to sysNAND - very important to remember that. If you're not being prompted to update your card is probably already up to date. It seems you may have a Micro SD card issue if none of your ROMs are loading now.

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much Maximillious. When I say "Gateway mode" I mean I got to the screen with the dragon and pressed "Boot Gateway Mode".

I did make an emuNAND backup and did the "Inject NAND to emuNAND" thing. Is that what you mean? However, I did this before receiving my Gateway. Could this be causing me all my problems?

The games that aren't working are for a different region. Is it possible that's why it's not working? Also they are fairly new and my system is on 4.2.

Thanks so much for any help you can give!

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way I did try another microSD card and same thing. Stuck at the Nintendo 3DS animation with the red waves going all over the screen.

Another thing is I figured out one of the games missing from my list on the home menu...Zelda Four Sword Adventures!! 90% of my games are there but a few are missing. I just happened to notice Four Swords was one of them. Why would this happen? If it helps, I noticed this happened when I downgraded to 4.2.

:(

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
By the way I did try another microSD card and same thing. Stuck at the Nintendo 3DS animation with the red waves going all over the screen.

Another thing is I figured out one of the games missing from my list on the home menu...Zelda Four Sword Adventures!! 90% of my games are there but a few are missing. I just happened to notice Four Swords was one of them. Why would this happen? If it helps, I noticed this happened when I downgraded to 4.2.

The downgrade process wipes all your titles. You have to redownload them.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you took a backup before your downgrade I think you can restore it to your sysNAND, but I'm not sure. 4.x firmware has a lot of caveats to it which is why I'm avoiding a downgrade - Namely save encryption issues that can occur with any game you played on firmware newer than 7.x firmware.

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care about losing my saves, but I will be devastated if Zelda Four Swords is gone.

I am confused though; if the downgrade process wipes them, why are like 90% of my eshop titles still there?

Also, how do I redownload them considering that requires me to update the firmware to access the store?

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't care about losing my saves, but I will be devastated if Zelda Four Swords is gone.

I am confused though; if the downgrade process wipes them, why are like 90% of my eshop titles still there?

Also, how do I redownload them considering that requires me to update the firmware to access the store?
If you have your emunand ready, simply update it through system settings.
Just remember to only perform the update if you see "GW3D" before the version number.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy