Hacking Downgraded to 4.2 without the Gateway, then got the Gateway and now I'm stuck

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, no 0 byte items are showing up. Remember, these four titles refuse to show up on my home screen as well.

Really am stumped over here.

Can you see the original items in sysNAND data management? If you can, remove them from sysNAND and they will likely work in emuNAND properly. Either that or you can just start completely fresh and wipe everything, relink your NNID and redownload everything from eShop. If it was the anniversary Four Swords though, I'm not sure if that really links to your NNID since it was a limited time download.

Edit: The big thing here is make sure you back up. as long as you have a backup before doing anything you are fine and can do basically whatever you want (short of something you know will brick the device). I recommend backing up and doing a few different things.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I promise this will be the last time I bother you. I have emuNAND working perfectly. How do I "unlink" the sysNAND and emuNAND? And the wifi dummy data thing you suggested?

Your Youtube videos were awesome by the way.
I appreciate the compliment man. Makes me happy. I didn't make a video on unlinking them because I did it away from my recording stuff. This guy on Reddit named -WB-Spitfire gave a pretty good explanation which I will post below:

There is still more to do and more things to take note of, however. At this point, your emuNAND and sysNAND are still linked, meaning that they are using the same data folder for everything. This means that themes will be shared between sysNAND and emuNAND, and if you choose to install any CIAs under emuNAND, you will have to unwrap them each time, and you run the rish of them showing in sysNAND. Additonally, internet settings are shared. Internet settings matter since you DO NOT want sysNAND to download updates on its own. This is generally bad. However, this can be easily fixed. Boot into sysNAND and go to the system settings, and format the system memory. Remove your SD card when doing this, before it begins formatting. IMPORTANT NOTE: This may erase any eshop/digital games installed! However, they can be re-downloaded under emunand's eshop, albeit you will lose any save games.
After this is done, boot back into the gateway menu via the same method as before, and hold L as you see the screen change, before the GW Ultra dragon appears. You should be back into the GW menu now. Choose Gateway mode, and then set-up the firmware as normal. You can enter your NNID under system settings to re-download any digital games under emuNAND. Remember, once you exit system settings, you will be back in sysNAND and have to boot back into GW mode. I recommend, at this point, putting a folder with an "S" under your sysnand and an "E" for emuNAND, so that you cannot mix them up

As for the dummy data, you put that in after you separate the NANDs. Basically you go into your internet settings under sysNAND and type in a bunch of garbage for every slot so that it will never be able to connect to the internet. But when you then go onto emuNAND you can use whatever wifi settings you want just fine.

Reactions: Hammyface

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I promise this will be the last time I bother you. I have emuNAND working perfectly. How do I "unlink" the sysNAND and emuNAND?

All 'unlinking' does is change SD card encryption so the sysnand can't use emunand's files and vice versa.
People do that pretty much only for running installed games from other regions without their icons returning to gifts every time you reboot.
I don't really recommend doing that since the same can be achieved by downloading a region-free version of the game (most games accept this mod).

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
gamesquest1 - this is why i think it gives you a new ticket.db
maybe i misunderstood it...?
yeah, but as you can see the majority of people keep all/most of their existing content after downgrading....so its not just replacing it with a template ticket.db......more likely just merging their downgrade template with your existing ticket.db, which goes wrong for some titles or something.
see like this
Thanks but I am using GW emunand.

When I did the downgrade process, somehow I lost 4 games that I purchased from the e-shop. Shantae Risky's Revenge, Slingo Quest, Electroplankton and Zelda: Four Swords.

I went into emuNAND, went to the e-shop, redownloaded those 4 games, and they showed up on my emunand's homescreen fine. However, when I try to play any of them, the console hardlocks on a black screen.

Other e-shop titles I purchased (like Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon) play just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ahhh i see, it would seem its any TWL_FIRM content is lost, maybe it just formats the TWL_FIRM partition for whatever reason, maybe its just easier that way, so existing 3ds content will stay, but DSiware and stuff like that will be lost

Reactions: cearp

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
yeah, but as you can see the majority of people keep all/most of their existing content after downgrading....so its not just replacing it with a template ticket.db......more likely just merging their downgrade template with your existing ticket.db, which goes wrong for some titles or something.
see like this
That quote confirms it completely wipes the tickets. The redonwload will re-add the tickets to ticket.db but the games will lock up on emunand, of course, since they're DSi games.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
That quote confirms it completely wipes the tickets. The redonwload will re-add the tickets to ticket.db but the games will lock up on emunand, of course, since they're DSi games.

Wait, I just went into my home screen and Luigi's Mansion 2 which I downloaded and purchased from the e-shop ages ago, shows up and plays just fine. But why is Zelda Four Swords missing?

, no in that quote he mentioned that luigi's mansion still works fine .....i.e his old ticket.db file was not completely wiped, most likely just the TWL_FIRM partition, downgrading does not wipe everything, i have tried it myself and eshop content was still there after downgrading....so its not as simple as downgrading formats everything, as it doesnt

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
, no in that quote he mentioned that luigi's mansion still works fine .....i.e his old ticket.db file was not completely wiped, most likely just the TWL_FIRM partition, downgrading does not wipe everything, i have tried it myself and eshop content was still there after downgrading....so its not as simple as downgrading formats everything, as it doesnt
Did he say the game worked fine BEFORE the redownload?
The text makes it clear that he tested everything after redownloading them on emunand.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
im fairly certain it at least tries to merge them template tickets.db with the existing one, i downgraded a system and the eshop games would still run in sysnand.....if it had replaced the tickets.db file would not happen, even if i re-download them in emunand, that would not make them playable in sysnand

although i read few people lost some games, i don't remember which titles they lost, but given the fact that it most seems to be dsiware lost it may just be only dsi ware tickets that are lost in the process

Reactions: cearp

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
im fairly certain it at least tries to merge them template tickets.db with the existing one, i downgraded a system and the eshop games would still run in sysnand.....if it had replaced the tickets.db file would not happen, even if i re-download them in emunand, that would not make them playable in sysnand

although i read few people lost some games, i don't remember which titles they lost, but given the fact that it most seems to be dsiware lost it may just be only dsi ware tickets that are lost in the process
hmm... interesting. I hadn't seen anyone talking about that.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
hmm... interesting. I hadn't seen anyone talking about that.
yeah me and cearp where talking earlier about how the downgrader works, which is where this topic came up, but all i know for sure is that i downgraded a system and the existing tickets where still valid, im even pretty sure the system had zelda four swords on it and that still worked in sysnand too.....so idk exactly what it does, but it certainly doesn't just replace the old tickets.db file with a blank template one

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just downgraded today and had Four Swords. It wasn't there after downgrading. It was possible to restore it at this point by going into EmuNAND, system settings, backing up DSiWare to SD, then restoring it from SD in SysNAND. I believe they have to be linked for this to work.

Reactions: Hammyface

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm so it was kind of merged, the ticket.db that is. Is it possible to locate the ticket.db from his backup nand and transfer it over? Please tell me there is no validating.

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just downgraded today and had Four Swords. It wasn't there after downgrading. It was possible to restore it at this point by going into EmuNAND, system settings, backing up DSiWare to SD, then restoring it from SD in SysNAND. I believe they have to be linked for this to work.

Holy shit! This worked! Thank you so much, man!

Hopefully this info helps tony_2018, gamesquest1, carp etc to solving your questions; but yes I can verify 100% this works.

Thank you so so so so much Jiro2! And everyone else, of course :)

One day we all have to put our head's together and crack DSi games somehow. It's not right; Four Swords should be on every DSi and 3DS available.

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that you have everything set up the way you want, don't forget to backup that SD card: the 1.1GB of emunand (with the tool on windows) AND the regular FAT filesystem content (simple drag and drop files).

It is very tempting at this point to just play games and not worry about boring backup/restore. Do the backup and make sure you understand how to restore it. I transferred my stuff to a bigger SD card--everything seemed fine at first but was majorly goofed up. Fixing it was educational, not painful, because I had recent backup which included all my game saves and prevented having to reinstall cias, which literally can take all day.

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey romanaOne, I already did the SysNAND backup at the very beginning. Do you recommend I do it again, now that I have everything set up properly?

One other thing I noticed was I cannot play my DSiWare from emuNAND. Is this just me or is this a limitation of emuNAND? It's not the end of the world, I was just curious.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Hey romanaOne, I already did the SysNAND backup at the very beginning. Do you recommend I do it again, now that I have everything set up properly?

One other thing I noticed was I cannot play my DSiWare from emuNAND. Is this just me or is this a limitation of emuNAND? It's not the end of the world, I was just curious.

the gw exploit breaks ds + gba stuff :) sorry

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-