Hardware Do you think the wii u will be a failure?

Do you think the Wii U will be a failure?

• Yes

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • No

Votes: 58 70.7%
  • Not sure/don't know

Votes: 12 14.6%

• Total voters

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
People were saying the 3DS was going to fail and for a bit it's sales weren't great, but as is clear now that is turning around as more games become available.

Or since they knocked £100 off the price and had to give away 20 VC games to all current owners.

Yumi

With Love<3
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Mexico
People were saying the 3DS was going to fail and for a bit it's sales weren't great, but as is clear now that is turning around as more games become available.

Or since they knocked £100 off the price and had to give away 20 VC games to all current owners.
Well, people still buy it even if they arent getting the 20VC games. Sales are still rising and even more now for those who love the XL.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice thing about wearing glasses is if I want an extra large screen I just take off my glasses and put contacts in. My glasses are so strong and my eyes so adjusted to them that when I put in my contacts everything gets HUGE

BornInBlack

GangnamTemp
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soggypizza.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Canada

IGN: I know you aren't ready to announce it quite yet, but on the launch price... looking at your competitors, they're late in the lifecycle, they're able to drop price if they want to. They're making profit on their consoles. And like you said, you guys don't like to sell a console at a loss. So... What are the options you're weighing in terms of pricing? What are the considerations you're making as you work towards that announcement?

Fils-Aime: The first thing I would say is we focus on value. So it's what you get for what you pay, in terms of that overall proposition. Second thing I would tell you is that Nintendo believes in being a mass-market product. Unlike our competitors, when they've launched historical systems, to maybe start at a really high price and work their way down, we don't believe in that. We want to launch at a price that is going to represent an ongoing great value.

You look at the Wii, we stayed at 250 dollars for a really long time. And so we're going to give that same level of thought to the Wii U. How do we launch at a value that we're going to be able to sustain for a long time? I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised, if you will, about the way we're managing the value equation.

Sauce: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/06/06/e3-2012-reggie-discusses-launching-wii-u-retro?page=3

thought this might be relevant here, has made me a bit more optimistic about the price.

Reactions: 2 people

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just feel that the wii u is gonna fail. The system and the controllers cost to much and most people can't afford it.

What do you think about this?

There is no MSRP, so you can't make such an assumption without solid facts. The Wii U will be successful, given the fact that it's HD, has awesome games and a real online service.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love the cost too much part of OP. People bought the PS3 for 600$. Granted, it started selling a lit better after the price cuts, but still. The Wii U will be no more then 400, probably 300-350. Will the controllers be a lot if you want a 2nd one? Yes. Do you need a 2nd one? Probably not.

Back to the question, Do I think the Wii U will "fail"? No. Now as to how well it will do compared to the other consoles, that's anybody's guess. But as long as it gets a steady stream of good games, it doesn't really matter. It's not like in the GCN days I was like oh crap, Im screwed with the 3rd place system. It was like, I'm playing some great games and enjoying them.

Reactions: 1 person

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it will be a failure at all. I think Nintendo know what they're doing after seeing what they pulled off with the Wii. If people can't afford a Wii U they're either too young to work or just don't have a job altogether. Even if you make minimum wage you can put a small portion aside each week and have enough by the time the Wii U comes out (5 or 6 months, $20 a week=$400-$480 and no one says you have to buy it on day 1), so not being able to afford it is a bad excuse. As for controllers costing too much no one even knows the prices yet, so that's not a valid argument to make. I will be preordering mine as soon as preorders become available. I've already preordered a few games for it Rayman Legends, New Super Mario Bros. U, Lego City Undercover, ZombiU, and Pikmin 3. I'm looking forward to a new console regardless of if people think it's not next gen or not or won't be as powerful as 720/PS4.

Reactions: 1 person

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I think the Wii U will "fail"? No. Now as to how well it will do compared to the other consoles, that's anybody's guess. But as long as it gets a steady stream of good games, it doesn't really matter. It's not like in the GCN days I was like oh crap, Im screwed with the 3rd place system. It was like, I'm playing some great games and enjoying them.
How long will those few great games last? How many great games will the other consoles have? Don't you think it's more likely other consoles will have more great games to choose from, based on Nintendo's history since the Gamecube? Does it even matter if you have the 3rd place system if you have many great games? Will Nintendo fail, no, but the user base will feel they have failed by buying the console IF Nintendo keeps doing what Nintendo keeps doing. You know what I mean? I'm at a point where I'm asking myself, what the hell are they thinking, and is a group of retards running this company. As an investor, Nintendo's stock is down, and big time. If they don't rock the house, so to speak, with this next generation in the console market..they might want to think about just designing handheld consoles. This of course is my opinion. :D

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
I think the wiiu with homebrew would be awesome. Imagine the fun devs will have it if it was at the wii's stage of HB. I know im jumping some big guns but.. just think lol

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it will be a failure at all. I think Nintendo know what they're doing after seeing what they pulled off with the Wii. If people can't afford a Wii U they're either too young to work or just don't have a job altogether. Even if you make minimum wage you can put a small portion aside each week and have enough by the time the Wii U comes out (5 or 6 months, $20 a week=$400-$480 and no one says you have to buy it on day 1), so not being able to afford it is a bad excuse. As for controllers costing too much no one even knows the prices yet, so that's not a valid argument to make. I will be preordering mine as soon as preorders become available. I've already preordered a few games for it Rayman Legends, New Super Mario Bros. U, Lego City Undercover, ZombiU, and Pikmin 3. I'm looking forward to a new console regardless of if people think it's not next gen or not or won't be as powerful as 720/PS4.

Sometimes it's not even possible to put aside any income on minimum wage...I remember when I was consistently going further and further in debt while working AND living frugally. So glad I make more now and even more once I finally finish my last few courses in college

keran22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How could it even be successful?

Everyone is overestimating the appeal of tablets.

I think you might be underestimating it. The casual market loves the heck out of tablets, particularly the 30-50 y/o demographic. I reckon Nintendo can market it well enough to get interest on this.

I really do believe that the price will make it or break it though, we've seen it happen so many times before. You only get one opening offer for the holidays and Nintendo would be wise to remember that part of the appeal of the Wii was it being the cheaper alternative. We've all seen the graphics; they're on par with 360/PS3. It seems to me that Nintendo have got a year to sell as many as they can before the PS4 graphics come along to blow them out the water. Seriously, if it's £299 I can't see it selling that well... £249 might just be doable. But i'm unsure. We're in a double-dip recession.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi