Hacking Do we even need team salt's exploit at this point?

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they'd just made it open source in the beginning there never would have been a mocha cause everybody would have been contributing to it and it would have been finished way earlier. I hope all the devs have learned their lesson, getting all their work wasted like this.
upload_2017-10-31_20-20-50.png

They don't really care, they were working with a bunch of other wiiu hackers preparing for release at the time anyway. Quite literally they were making final adjustments before mocha released.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
View attachment 104483

They don't really care, they were working with a bunch of other wiiu hackers preparing for release at the time anyway. Quite literally they were making final adjustments before mocha released.
I can't understand their motivation for even working on this at all. As far as I know there are 3 motivations for working on a scene:
  1. Money. They want to cash in on an exploit they discover.
  2. Curiosity. They just like tinkering with things and breaking into them.
  3. Having people use their stuff. Either because they want the fame (being highly praised contributors to a scene is a good reward) or because they just want people to use their work.
I don't see how they could be making any money out of this, announcing their work is counter-productive if they're wanting to break into stuff for the fun of it (Nintendo patching and such), and because of their actions nobody is ever ever going to use their stuff. And add far as fame goes, they'll just be disliked at best. Either the boss of Team Salt is a psychopath or there's a motive I haven't thought of yet.

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't understand their motivation for even working on this at all. As far as I know there are 3 motivations for working on a scene:
  3. Having people use their stuff. Either because they want the fame (being highly praised contributors to a scene is a good reward) or because they just want people to use their work.
I don't see how they could be making any money out of this, announcing their work is counter-productive if they're wanting to break into stuff for the fun of it (Nintendo patching and such), and because of their actions nobody is ever ever going to use their stuff. And add far as fame goes, they'll just be disliked at best. Either the boss of Team Salt is a psychopath or there's a motive I haven't thought of yet.
They wanted to be more public to move away from how private they were with the 3ds scene. They genuinely wanted the scene to have something to work off of. Threads like this where people constantly bashed them for not delivering the stuff as soon as people wanted it destroyed their moral and they gave up working as soon as an alternative was placed. Demonizing SALT for no reason doesn't get anyone anywhere. They've been contributing to the switch scene rather ardently in the beginning, not sure if Dazozzo or WulfyStylez contribute publicly past pegaswitch, but ShinyQuagsire certainly does.

GarnetSunset

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2/3 from my experience, at least thats what i gleam from shiny. cared about learning and sharing what he learned more than fame etc. he's already pretty set for life once he's out of college so I don't doubt a mix of 2/3 w/o fame.

Reactions: astronautlevel

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I've mentioned this elsewhere but the reason things dropped off was nobody really cared too much, I kinda tried to keep things chugging along with makefst and by getting WUT up to steam but for the most part interest fell quickly even after we picked up more people to go for a release (but, go figure, they were more interested in dropping an exploit and leaving than trying to get something nice).

Releasing is hard and Wii U CFW is still a bit funky imo. I did personally want our patches open though, we put out minute (yes, its source is open) because we knew people we didn't grant permission to had the files, we kinda expected it to leak earlier but they held onto it for almost a year.

Anyhow...
  • Ramdisk deletion solves the issue of haxchi rebooting, Mocha renames the system.xml file as a workaround for this. Additionally, the ramdisk contains RPLs from the previous NAND. It has to be cleared to completely sever ties between sysNAND and redNAND.
  • All file permissions are stripped, so running a redundant /dev FS backdoor isn't needed to dump files.
  • Minute dumps NAND images which can actually be restored, it's quite nice. But minute has been open, nobody's bothered with it. It's a good intermediate loader though, I'd like to see more people using it.
The CFW isn't where most of our work went, more went into Minute and WUT anyhow so yeah it's not that big, but if Mocha wants to pull in changes feel free. I still don't like dimok's weird IOS-FS wrapper meme, removing file permissions is cleaner imo.

Also:
"Please use System Config Tool when installing games as this is official Nintendo development software and will ensure a safe install."

woomïnstaller actually works out of the box on this CFW and was designed for it, I feel like that got put in just to piss me off

GarnetSunset

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I've mentioned this elsewhere but the reason things dropped off was nobody really cared too much, I kinda tried to keep things chugging along with makefst and by getting WUT up to steam but for the most part interest fell quickly even after we picked up more people to go for a release (but, go figure, they were more interested in dropping an exploit and leaving than trying to get something nice).

Releasing is hard and Wii U CFW is still a bit funky imo. I did personally want our patches open though, we put out minute (yes, its source is open) because we knew people we didn't grant permission to had the files, we kinda expected it to leak earlier but they held onto it for almost a year.

Anyhow...
  • Ramdisk deletion solves the issue of haxchi rebooting, Mocha renames the system.xml file as a workaround for this. Additionally, the ramdisk contains RPLs from the previous NAND. It has to be cleared to completely sever ties between sysNAND and redNAND.
  • All file permissions are stripped, so running a redundant /dev FS backdoor isn't needed to dump files.
  • Minute dumps NAND images which can actually be restored, it's quite nice. But minute has been open, nobody's bothered with it. It's a good intermediate loader though, I'd like to see more people using it.
The CFW isn't where most of our work went, more went into Minute and WUT anyhow so yeah it's not that big, but if Mocha wants to pull in changes feel free. I still don't like dimok's weird IOS-FS wrapper meme, removing file permissions is cleaner imo.

Also:
"Please use System Config Tool when installing games as this is official Nintendo development software and will ensure a safe install."

woomïnstaller actually works out of the box on this CFW and was designed for it, I feel like that got put in just to piss me off
Well said. woomïnstaller works great btw. Can recommend.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo