Disney cancels Disney Infinity and quits game publishing

3Yj-C07nmFfp05fB7_z54lMI3VsyQ5SR.jpg

Today Disney announced that they are cancelling their Disney Infinity line of games and figurines, as well as quitting game self-publishing altogether. Speculations are that this was due to a decrease in revenue from the series.
Disney said:
By now you may have heard the news that we have made the difficult decision to discontinue production of Disney Infinity. From the beginning, Disney Infinity was built for you—our fans—and I wanted to take a moment to thank you not just for your support over the years, but for creating a community that made Disney Infinity more than just a game.

:arrow:Source

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's all a matter of the amount of content versus the initial investment. There are ways to make this model work, for instance making the game free to play and treating the figurines as the revenue maker. In that scenario the game plays the role of an interactive advertisement and if you like it, you can grab an "expansion pack" with the reader and the figurines. It's like IAP, but it brings in actual physical value to the purchase - that works. There's no shortage of people buying virtual goods, those people would buy the same skins as physical items. Alternatively there's the Amiibo model, but that provides too little value in my opinion - the Amiibos do nothing. You have to strike a balance here, and nobody really got it right yet.
Yeah, I agree. That was just a small rant I needed to get off my chest. I just feel like what they did wasn't necessarily immoral, but definitely greedy. On the contrary, think about it - it's a brilliant business decision. It was aimed at a demographic of lower age, in which are too young to understand that they're wasting their parent's money (when they inevitably buy it for them for some special occasion), or their own allowance money (under the assumption they receive an allowance). All that target demographic will think is "I like Disney, so I want this! DADDY WE'RE GOING TO GAMESTOP RIGHT NOW!" (That's a bit of a hyperbole but it conveys the intended message.) And once they start, all they want is a more and more figures, which Disney will be ever so happy to pump out as frequently as possible, to generate revenue as high as possible. Anyway, it's all said and done, so this is probably a moot point.

Pikawil

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Amidst all the talking on Toys-to-Life here, I'd like to divert attention to the other important aspect of this news post here:

Disney quits game self-publishing. Ergo, they're going back to merely licensing their IPs to other publishers, like back in ye olde days of the 80's-90's and like they are currently doing with EA and Star Wars.

Capcom, you have done lots of great Disney games on the NES and SNES as well as MvC. Capcom, you know what to do. Make Disney games great again and MvC4 too.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amidst all the talking on Toys-to-Life here, I'd like to divert attention to the other important aspect of this news post here:

Disney quits game self-publishing. Ergo, they're going back to merely licensing their IPs to other publishers, like back in ye olde days of the 80's-90's and like they are currently doing with EA and Star Wars.

Capcom, you have done lots of great Disney games on the NES and SNES as well as MvC. Capcom, you know what to do. Make Disney games great again and MvC4 too.

Ultimate Frozen vs Cars 2?

DHall243

I Stay Broke Because I Keep Buying 3DS's To A9LH
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Infinity killed itself when 2.0 come out, then you had to get more software just to play with the next characters, instead of just updates. I also think being able to play as buzz lightyear in starwars missions or han solo in marvel missions wouldve put them ahead too. Kinda like legos is doing where your not limited to gamesets.

Last edited by DHall243,
Reactions: HaloEffect17

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Make Disney Great Again™!

Reactions: Deleted User

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why you add in game DLC to your products. Not figurines that cost extra money to make... I honestly had no idea why this had even started first with Skylanders...

Disney Infinity was more of a "eh" game. I wasn't to into it. But I'm sure a lot of people liked it despite the crazy amounts of money you need to spend on that crap.

R.I.P - Disney Infinity

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am a sucker for megaman like games.
Please give me another Darkwing Duck! (well, everybody has their weird taste ok?)

Reactions: kehkou

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always read that infinity had the most sales of skylanders/lego/amiibo

what the heck is going in here?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat