Disney cancels Disney Infinity and quits game publishing

3Yj-C07nmFfp05fB7_z54lMI3VsyQ5SR.jpg

Today Disney announced that they are cancelling their Disney Infinity line of games and figurines, as well as quitting game self-publishing altogether. Speculations are that this was due to a decrease in revenue from the series.
Disney said:
By now you may have heard the news that we have made the difficult decision to discontinue production of Disney Infinity. From the beginning, Disney Infinity was built for you—our fans—and I wanted to take a moment to thank you not just for your support over the years, but for creating a community that made Disney Infinity more than just a game.

:arrow:Source

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd say brand recognition issues are part of it. They haven't done enough to get the uninformed masses to associate Marvel and Star Wars as Disney properties.

On that note Disney Infinity 3.0 was a questionable name. How could it release without Star Wars anywhere in the formal title?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The games didn't seem to be selling very well. I know looking at the sales figures in my region, that 3.0 seriously under preformed. I don't know about overall sales, just the sales in the Wal*Marts in my region.

Du'Islingr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There goes my hope for a Spectrobes reboot... :(

Actually a reboot is still possible. The rights to the series could be sold to someone else. But at this point it was probably dead after origins anyways. I liked the ds games but never played origins on the wii myself yet. We can still hope though.

BLsquared

Game Programmer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's very surprising to me. Not looking at the overall revenue I always got the impression that Infinity figurines were hot ticket items, at least in the video game store I used to work for. People always bought them in droves, especially after major movie releases. Not that I'll shed a tear, the whole "toys-to-life" genre reeks of scam. They're basically video games sold without a character and level selection screens - you have to buy those separately, even though all the content is already in the games and the figurines merely unlock it.
Yeah, from a gaming standpoint, I totally agree with you, Foxi. I find it hard to believe it would be due to decreased revenue, though; just today my much younger cousins were telling me about how they were saving up for some of the special ones that have been coming out. It probably is a good thing it is stopping in the long run though. If this means more actual games from people like Disney, ala the old actually good licensed games, I'm all for it.

Transdude1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually a reboot is still possible. The rights to the series could be sold to someone else. But at this point it was probably dead after origins anyways. I liked the ds games but never played origins on the wii myself yet. We can still hope though.
Going by what I heard, Disney is still willing to loan out their IPs to other companies, they just won't be handling the publishing side of it. So, the best way to describe, it will be like Pre-6th gen situation were Capcom, Sunsoft, Interplay, and Sega all licensed titles from Disney and made their own independent games.

In fact, that's pretty much what Disney is doing right now with EA and Star Wars.

Last edited by Transdude1996,

qi_synergist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
infinity could have did better if they optimized the multiplayer side... it's terrible the way it's set up, other than that it was a decent idea. surprisingly when i first saw skylanders (first type i saw), i questioned why pokemon or yugioh didn't take a route similar (before all the other ones populated)

mudassirul

Trophies
XP
Country
Perhaps stop purchasing Amiibo will put a stop to Nintendo's foolishness of replacing core gameplay with Amiibo.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wait, what is happening right now?
The way things are in the industry right now, Nintendo needs all the revenue it can get

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Buy real action figurines again, not this junk. Go Go Power Rangers! Now with movable arms. :)

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am kinda surprised that they just straight up cancelled the whole thing. I was fairly certain DI was somewhat profitable. Maybe I was wrong. Either way, who cares, it wasnt worth playing anyways.

Xabring

Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I think publishing it's quite expensive both money and resource-wise, and they decided to run away with it before losing the profit. That or they need the resources somewhere else.
either way, this toy-to-life things feels like a fad and this sudden cutoff doesn't help to remedy that.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hopefully the rest of them will stop too (skylanders, dimensions, amiibo)

I don't see why Amiibo would be stopped, they don't function exactly the same. The other 3 Toys to Life all have ONE series of games built around the toys, so that game has to be fun, else you're out of luck. Amiibos can be utilized across all sorts of different games and series to different levels of integration with the ability to be used natively with Nintendo's latest console and handheld. Considering the success Amiibo has been for Nintendo and their reported earnings from the toys, I think its a safe bet that Amiibo will be around for a very long time.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't see why Amiibo would be stopped, they don't function exactly the same. The other 3 Toys to Life all have ONE series of games built around the toys, so that game has to be fun, else you're out of luck. Amiibos can be utilized across all sorts of different games and series to different levels of integration with the ability to be used natively with Nintendo's latest console and handheld. Considering the success Amiibo has been for Nintendo and their reported earnings from the toys, I think its a safe bet that Amiibo will be around for a very long time.
Yes but do look at how it is hurting Nintendo's quality in the past 2 years.

Reactions: Xabring

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn