Digital Nintendo Switch games potentially cannot be shared, locked to one console at a time

NintendoSwitch_hardware_Console_05-1.jpg

If you were hoping Nintendo had finally decided to step into the modern era of online purchases, you might be disappointed to hear that, according to a Q&A session at the NYC Nintendo World Store, digital Switch games will only be able to be played on one system at a time, and that multiple purchases will be needed to play your digital games on separate consoles. The context of this comes from a YouTuber asking Nintendo's GM of Planning and Development, Shinya Takahashi, if a Nintendo Account's digital games could be shared between two Switch consoles. The response is as follows:

Consumer: “If I want to take my system with me… if I were to buy a digital game, could I buy it once, or would I have to buy it multiple times so they can use those games?”

Takahashi: “Currently we don’t have a system like that in place for Nintendo Switch, but we haven’t made any final decisions about how we would approach that going forward in the future, so unfortunately I can’t provide any concrete answer for you right now.”

While this doesn't mean games are forever locked to a console, and you will likely be able to use a system transfer feature, this is a much less accessible way compared to how competitors Xbox, PlayStation, and Steam allow consumers to download their titles to multiple systems.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by Chary,

zezzo

The "Black Ace"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't like to pirate but sometimes I have to turn to it in order to enjoy games with my brothers. For example, Smash Bros 3DS. I would have to spend 120 just to be able to play with them. Instead I bought 1 and pirated the other 2.

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't like to pirate but sometimes I have to turn to it in order to enjoy games with my brothers. For example, Smash Bros 3DS. I would have to spend 120 just to be able to play with them. Instead I bought 1 and pirated the other 2.
or you couldve just gotten the wiiu version and play on the same system. you dont have to "turn" to piracy just because youre too cheap to buy a seperate copy like everyone else

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Note to internets: All games are digital. There's nothing analog about a cart or CD/DVD/BRD and never has been. If you mean downloaded say downloaded.

Reactions: Nollog

Ridge

they/them
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Norway
So if I get this right, a game can only be used by one activated system at a time. You buy a game for yourself and you play it on your own system. If you for some reason get a new system you link your account to that system and redownload them, then get your cloud saves.

Makes perfect sense to me.

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I get this right, a game can only be used by one activated system at a time. You buy a game for yourself and you play it on your own system. If you for some reason get a new system you link your account to that system and redownload them, then get your cloud saves.

Makes perfect sense to me.
Exactly!

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How childish.
--
Anyways, I don't understand why I have to purchase multiple copies of a certain game just to allow for my 2 brothers to play. Why do I have to spend $180 for a game like Splatoon 2 in order to enjoy with my brothers. Sure download play exists but it just offers a watered down version of a game.
Do you feel elevated when you say this. Get your head out of your ass

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost everything by Nintendo seems rushed these days. Pokemon Sun and Moon especially. It does not even have an in-game National Pokedex. Well, at least Kirby Triple Deluxe and Kirby Planet Robobot seem complete.

Xabring

Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
That's just as vague. It still could be tied to a per system basis, just with a different method of redownloading games.

If you look at Ars Technica, they published the same story, with the caveat that they currently have their own Switch demo unit to test out. They seem quite certain of it, and they went ahead with the article, leading me to think they have some sort of inside knowledge. You can read that article here.
That's is my point! the first source is VAGUE.
And...why you don't put that OTHER link from the start?

SonicMC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or you couldve just gotten the wiiu version and play on the same system. you dont have to "turn" to piracy just because youre too cheap to buy a seperate copy like everyone else

Your analysis only factors in software costs... not that this is bad, however it is inadequate to call someone cheap when you don't at least try to factor other costs in. They could also be cheap as to wanting to purchase hardware as well. So let's check from that direction.

Costs are around the same, more or less within 100 depending on specific hardware: You are just trading hardware costs for software costs with a wiiu solution,

200$ for a system refurb 80$ for two controllers (could be wii remote, wii u pro, 2 gc and adapter etc) 60$ for game. 3 players for 340 min dollars
180$ for three 2ds refurb systems 120$ for 3 games 3 players for 300 dollars min (obviously more if you want 3ds or new 3ds systems)

wiiu might not be exactly the cheaper option; now let's check with piracy involved (not advocating for piracy just making a point)

wii u 280 with two additional controllers, still need them...
three 2ds systems 180, still need 3 systems for three players

Obviously things on both the wii u and 2ds/3ds games/systems and stuff could be found on black Friday special, used, craigslist cheaper; so let's not nickle and dime on the exact costs.

of course if already had a wii u on hand for a different game, or had wii/gamecube controllers from a previous system... Your personal additional costs could vary.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Was it years? I thought it was mid- late 2015 when NX was announced, so about a year or so. Okay, no need for the harsh reply, just sharing a thought.

Didn't realize the post could have been interpreted aggressively. Sorry about that buddy. My bad.

If I recall correctly it was around 2014 I believe when NX was announced. If not sooner. So its been in development for a solid amount of time. And for the record, I am no Nintendo shiny armor defender. I bash the crap out of Nintendo every chance I get. Like I do to all other gaming companies. But the Switch had a decent amount of time to become a good system.

If Nintendo f***s it up, it wasn't because they hadn't time to get it right. It just means they really are freaking retarded. I love Nintendo, but stupidity gets no free pass in my book.

Last edited by WhiteMaze,

Taven

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
taven.co
XP
Country
United States

If you were hoping Nintendo had finally decided to step into the modern era of online purchases, you might be disappointed to hear that, according to a Q&A session at the NYC Nintendo World Store, digital Switch games will only be able to be played on one system at a time, and that multiple purchases will be needed to play your digital games on separate consoles. The context of this comes from a YouTuber asking Nintendo's GM of Planning and Development, Shinya Takahashi, if a Nintendo Account's digital games could be shared between two Switch consoles. The response is as follows:

While this doesn't mean games are forever locked to a console, and you will likely be able to use a system transfer feature, this is a much less accessible way compared to how competitors Xbox, PlayStation, and Steam allow consumers to download their titles to multiple systems.

:arrow: Source
77a03df7deb64b160f8142e47f683ed6.png

https://gyazo.com/77a03df7deb64b160f8142e47f683ed6

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
"After visiting Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch for the first time, gamers can also purchase Nintendo Switch digital games on Nintendo.com. Users can purchase the games on Nintendo’s website and have them download automatically to their Nintendo Switch system at home or on the go, wherever there is a Wi-Fi connection."

(source)

hey that sounds familiar? :creep:
android1.png

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
As always don't purchase digital download games, you get overcharged for more restrictive use of the content.

Purchase a physical copy which is often cheaper, you can even re-sell if you don't like the game.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"After visiting Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch for the first time, gamers can also purchase Nintendo Switch digital games on Nintendo.com. Users can purchase the games on Nintendo’s website and have them download automatically to their Nintendo Switch system at home or on the go, wherever there is a Wi-Fi connection."

(source)

hey that sounds familiar? :creep:
android1.png
To be fair, Sony and Microsoft have similar systems in place.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about don't buy ANYTHING digital.
Well for others (Steam, PSN, Xbox Live), you only lose access to your content if they ban your account, which isn't a common situation. It will usually happen if you chargeback your credit card on a purchase. Or you will lose access to your content if you lose access to your account somehow. With Nintendo it's <unknown> when you lose access to your content, which isn't really acceptable in my view. Can you keep access to your content through a system format? Can you keep access to your content on a different console of the same type without doing the system transfer?

For GoG, if you download your content, you'll have access to it for as long as you keep the installer file. You will lose access to the copy on the GoG servers if they ban your account, the same as the others.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I got this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DDHC5MV