Hardware Did RAM prices go up?

brickmii82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just upgraded my RAM from Patriot Viper Extreme DDR4 2666 to Gskill RGB 3200. I swear I only paid about 100$ for the Patriot, but on eBay it’s going for around 200$. Did prices go up or am I just lost? Well, I’m definitely lost but am I lost on RAM prices?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
ram prices did rised up since IIRC 1 year ago (or maybe more)
prices are crazy currently
the same stick you could get for 50 bucks years ago is going currently for more than 100

there is apparently a shorage of chips, and also the cryptocurrency miners problem (which i think they are most going after DDR3?)

Reactions: brickmii82

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've heard they did either as part of the crypto-currency mining bubble or a general shortage of DRAM.
As far as I know it's just a general shortage. RAM isn't really used much for mining. Ethereum and some others use a lot of memory but you'd normally mine on the GPU anyway which won't be using DDR3/DDR4.

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Companies chose to produce more DDR4 to supply the phone market than produce GDDR5 to supply the gfx card market.

At least, that's what I've heard.

brickmii82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know it's just a general shortage. RAM isn't really used much for mining. Ethereum and some others use a lot of memory but you'd normally mine on the GPU anyway which won't be using DDR3/DDR4.
With Ethereum, the RAM is only used if you're running a geth node on the network. The entire blockchain is up to 80GB HDD storage right now I think.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
With Ethereum, the RAM is only used if you're running a geth node on the network. The entire blockchain is up to 80GB HDD storage right now I think.
In the case of Ethereum, it's more dependant on memory bandwidth than the amount of memory, so that might have been a bad example. I can't really think of any crypto that requires large amounts of RAM. Masternodes do, but they don't seem to be very popular.

brickmii82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the case of Ethereum, it's more dependant on memory bandwidth than the amount of memory, so that might have been a bad example. I can't really think of any crypto that requires large amounts of RAM. Masternodes do, but they don't seem to be very popular.
If its the ram on a gpu thats mining, yeah. But if it's just a geth node you typically want more space to avoid geth dumping often as it slows down syncing to the network. But you only need access to a single node to run all account activity so I dont see that causing a shortage of DDR4

Last edited by brickmii82,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If its the ram on a gpu thats mining, yeah. But if it's just a geth node you typically want more space to avoid geth dumping often as it slows down syncing to the network.
Masternodes seem to require you to keep the entire blockchain in RAM. But they don't require much of anything else except an initial investment into the crypto.
It might actually be better for gamers if people were to switch to masternodes instead of conventional mining. Since a lot of those cryptos don't have very big blockchains people wouldn't need to buy up all the available hardware.

brickmii82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Masternodes seem to require you to keep the entire blockchain in RAM. But they don't require much of anything else except an initial investment into the crypto.
It might actually be better for gamers if people were to switch to masternodes instead of conventional mining. Since a lot of those cryptos don't have very big blockchains people wouldn't need to buy up all the available hardware.
When Casper gets implemented that’s exactly what’s gonna happen.

brickmii82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed, though that only applies to Ethereum. Masternodes are more widespread.
Well, I’m only really familiar with Ethereum and learning about a few more crypto’s.
357FB577-E158-4458-96C7-2E3BCA58A017.png

(Don’t hate me I like this hobby)
:ph34r:

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

brickmii82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't hate you. But you shouldn't use wood, if anything goes wrong you might have a fire on your hands.
Edit: What's the blue thing?
A fan to help keep the heat dissipated. I've been wanting to learn coding and this is teaching me Javascript I guess. There's other aspects I enjoy, but mainly the challenge of learning something new and difficult.

Last edited by brickmii82,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
A fan to help keep the heat dissipated. I've been wanting to learn coding and this is teaching me Javascript I guess. There's other aspects I enjoy, but mainly the challenge of learning something new and difficult.
It did look like a fan, but it looks like there's solid acrylic in front since it's shiny all over, that's what confused me.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prices had a increase because Apple allocated most of Samsung’s memory for the iPhone 8 and 10. Or at least that was one major reason

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good deal. I love Sun chips. I also love Rye chips, and had to order some from Amazon cause can't find in stores much anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking subways like that'll be $3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny how they replaced the $5 foot long sub, with a 1" wide $5 foot long cookie or cinna stick, cheap asses
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still have but it's like $10 cookies honestly not a bad deal for $5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/1Ic2tqw_AmM?si=JprHwElZWw_oO_ii