Hacking Devolution - Public Release

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you dont, no way you would buy again the games as they are long gone.
Then you don't get to play those games. Simple. Drop your sense of entitlement.

Anyway, as said by the post above this one, there is a topic specifically for discussing the AP and it's not this one.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
:angry: Remember Gamecube console is dead, with its games published no more. Patent is over, dunno why this Devolution sticks to AP.
Actually it's several more decades until the patent is "over". If you want to bitch about AP though, go to the official bitching topic that Etheboss linked to.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
1. You can now press "B" to go back to the HBC after you have mounted a USB drive or SD card. Previously this would only work before mounting a USB drive or SD card, not after.

EDIT: In other news, I just realized we can't test if Devolution works on the Wii U because the sample loader requires a GameCube controller. >_>

1. What, in the sample loader or something?

About the edit: Sure you can, try using Postloader, Wiiflow, or some other loader that supports devolution, and doesn't require a GC controller(or cIOS). Probably pointless at this stage though, since Devolution doesn't work with anything except USB KB/mouse and a GC controller/GBA cable.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Got my deluxe Wii-U, anything anyone want done? Testing, etc? Mario is the only extra title I picked up.
If you REALLY want to do some testing, I think without AHBPROT patched out Devolution can still run games off the SD card (if it even works with USB, all the better) so get yourself a copy of SSBB and an adapter for small disks see if the smash hack with Devolution will still works. You'd be the first to play a GameCube game on a Wii-U. . . EVER.

I think you'd still have to use a USB keyboard and mouse to have any control but it's still something.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You are right it's not running HBC, but WiiXplorer is launching the dol files just like HBC.
Yes, but you said running HBC, not running DOL files. HBC is much more capable when it comes to loading DOLs, with abilities such as disabling HW_AHBPROT, as well as wiiload which I don't think WiiXplorer has (although I could be wrong on that one, I've only used it very briefly).

If you REALLY want to do some testing, I think without AHBPROT patched out Devolution can still run games off the SD card (if it even works with USB, all the better) so get yourself a copy of SSBB and an adapter for small disks see if the smash hack with Devolution will still works. You'd be the first to play a GameCube game on a Wii-U. . . EVER.

I think you'd still have to use a USB keyboard and mouse to have any control but it's still something.

Devolution won't work at all without HW_AHBPROT. It's not the USB access it needs HW_AHBPROT for, it gets that just from running on IOS58. It's the other background magic that needs HW_AHBPROT.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a silly note, in the future I'd love to see Ocarina of Time Master Quest running on the Wii U in Wii Mode via Devolution.

You know, yo dawg and stuff.

buvk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
not sure if anyone aside from me was having a problem verifying xtreme g3, but it now verifies in the latest version :)

PiXi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hi all!

Is that possible to improve somehow the read speed for some ISOs? I have serious freezes in Smuggler's Run Warzone in any cutscenes. Partition isn't fragmented at all and other games works fine.

Overseer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Quick question: I'm buying a new hard-drive; can I copy over the .dvv file that verifies Gamecube games, or will I have to verify the discs again?

cee43ja1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm not sure what the changes were in r168, but somehow it broke loading with configurable usb loader.

i found a copy of r160 source zip, took the loader.bin file, and had that replace the r168 loader.bin file in my 'usb-loader' folder. drive slot doesn't blink 11 times anymore.

Reactions: toss01

papermanzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The most appropriate feature would be to shift the dvv files (the best way would be to the iso folder itself).
The root of the storage device isn't a good place.

So a short request: Is it possible to create a config file (which must be placed beside the loader in the same dir) in order to make some configs like where to save the validation files?

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a similar note, one method that could be used for Devolution on later-model Wiis and the Wii U (assuming it can run) is to drop the same-console requirement in the .DVV files, since the same-partition requirement should be plenty on its own on preventing piracy, unless I'm overlooking something.

This would allow someone to rip and verify their games on a a friend's launch Wii system and then at home plug their drive into their newer Wii for playing. This would also allow taking your games to another person's house which is particularly handy if you're using a USB flash drive.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
i'm not sure what the changes were in r168, but somehow it broke loading with configurable usb loader.

i found a copy of r160 source zip, took the loader.bin file, and had that replace the r168 loader.bin file in my 'usb-loader' folder. drive slot doesn't blink 11 times anymore.
It works for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, burp +1