tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Did you ever think we use Windows because we cannot handle a command line? I in particular have a horrible time remembering abstract things in general, which causes me a great deal of issues with not just text-based computer things like coding and command lines but with actual foreign language learning as well. That doesn't make me a crappy computer-user however; in fact I've been surprised time and time again by the things other people didn't know about computer-related things even though they knew Linux commands or coding or some other seemingly high-level computer geekery.

And besides, how was I supposed to know that I'm not supposed to ask for help? It's not like other users are having trouble with various other things related to Devolution (oh wait). If this is one of those Linux communities that think "if you can't compile a kernal, then you don't belong here" then I don't even want to be a part of this.
Nobody suggested you can't ask for help, but you seem intent on posting more "suggestions" than questions. Your main problem seems to be regarding F-Zero not working and that is explicitly mentioned in the very first post since I knew it would most likely be a common problem encountered by newcomers, so please show a bit of patience; it'll get fixed eventually.

Reactions: 1 person

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize if I seemed like I was impatiant regarding F-Zero GX, I was mainly just trying to point out that its status has changed since r128, and no longer flatly locks up. I distinctly was trying to be helpful and actually log the issue myself in order to not fall into the newbie trap (I've been registered since 2007), but due to my netcat failure, I guess I ended up looking like a complete noob anyway...

And about the suggestion stuff... well, I figured it'd be better to at the very least say it and get it over with and see if anybody else is interested in a particular idea or not; after that you could choose to ignore them as much you wish. I mean, this is a 100+ page forum topic, surely erring on the side of being timid and uninvolved isn't the norm here.

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The behaviour of F-Zero hasn't changed at all. It's not what I would call a freeze or a lock-up (if the console halts the slot light will go off and any audio currently playing will repeat in an endless loop aka the BUZZ OF DOOM) but rather just a hang, it's waiting for something to happen but I haven't looked at it close enough to know what.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are correct that what you describe is what is currently happening. The thing is, the compatibility list says that it locks up after the AV logo (r128), which is obviously not happening here.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, but really it doesn't lock up at all. Like I stated in my crazy long post, it makes it past the memory card loading just fine and starts playing the title screen music, but nothing else ever happens. If you let the title screen song play all the way through and end, the story mode cutscene never even starts playing.

So the closest to "locking up" would be after the titlescreen music.

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes it's the same with Super Monkey Ball 2 (made by the same people), it gets half way through showing some text on the screen then stops but the music keeps playing.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You are correct that what you describe is what is currently happening. The thing is, the compatibility list says that it locks up after the AV logo (r128), which is obviously not happening here.
Does it lock up before the AV logo? :P
Haha, but really it doesn't lock up at all. Like I stated in my crazy long post, it makes it past the memory card loading just fine and starts playing the title screen music, but nothing else ever happens. If you let the title screen song play all the way through and end, the story mode cutscene never even starts playing.

So the closest to "locking up" would be after the titlescreen music.
On the Devo Compatibility List there is a mention to keep Notes short, but i agree "Locks up after av logo" can maybe be improved..

thevoiceover

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is funny how it always seems to be the "windows" users who has issues with it. In other words, you don't need just windows or USB Gecko to log with Devolution.
Did you ever think we use Windows because we cannot handle a command line? I in particular have a horrible time remembering abstract things in general, which causes me a great deal of issues with not just text-based computer things like coding and command lines but with actual foreign language learning as well. That doesn't make me a crappy computer-user however; in fact I've been surprised time and time again by the things other people didn't know about computer-related things even though they knew Linux commands or coding or some other seemingly high-level computer geekery.

And besides, how was I supposed to know that I'm not supposed to ask for help? It's not like other users are having trouble with various other things related to Devolution (oh wait). If this is one of those Linux communities that think "if you can't compile a kernal, then you don't belong here" then I don't even want to be a part of this.

I understand what you are saying and I am not by any means trying to say you don't know anything about computers and sorry if I came off that way. I do feel though the nature of MANY of your questions and concerns have been answered time and time again... Yes not all of us have the time to read through 100+ pages, but when many people seem to answer the same questions 5 plus times, that gives cause to the reason this thread is now 100 + pages.

As for the cause of my preious reply. I was "referring" to your recommendations on how the author should mention windows with netcat (stating how it has been on MANY other systems for sometime and ported to windows.) and that you are not just limited to windows for using it. The irony to me was that most the questions ever from it, come primarily from windows users (doesn't surprise me as it was a POSIX app.) On a personal level I also believe many people that use POSIX based operating systems (usually w/ python or pearl) seem to research and exhaust resources before asking questions that may or may have not been answered numerous times before. I was trying to help you understand that it isn't the authors job (if he chooses though thats o / nor do I feel anyone in this thread if its related to an outside project) to have to teach people how to run software when the net is full of help and tutorials.

For those still having issues with NC on this thread , here is a few results I found from it and maybe these can help - if you are having troubles listening when you run the command -l (you may can run -L to "listen harder" ) I haven't tested but that did help me in the past on problem I was having. Also make sure you can ping your Wii i.p

http://gbatemp.net/t...ost__p__4357904

http://gbatemp.net/t...ost__p__4338697

http://gbatemp.net/t...ost__p__4318696

http://gbatemp.net/t...ost__p__4317050

http://gbatemp.net/t...ost__p__4312185

http://gbatemp.net/t...ost__p__4312061

tueidj -- is there ANY other testing we can do ot possibly help you on these issues w/ games such as Super Monkey Ball and F-Zero ? Maybe just find others doing something similar that hasn't been logged?

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the idea about the whole windows suggestion was that I figured Linux guys would either know what netcat is already and/or know how to find one for their platform themselves.

Regarding the searching, I actually used the search function a LOT on this topic before posting anything. I'll admit that I forgot to search for the netcat error I was having, but that was partially because I was thinking the error had something to do with the Wii-PC connection and not netcat itself.

And about the questions, if you're that concerned about the repeating of questions, perhaps there could be another wiki page that's nothing but a list of questions and answers? (similar to DeSmuME's).

Oh, I do have a support question however regarding Devolution's verification process. I don't know if you want to reveal the process, but may I ask if the filesize of the files is part of it? I'm still trying to figure out how a simple singular file-replacement in an ISO would cause it to not work with Devolution...

wiisixtyfour

Trophies
Website
wiisixtyfour.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I do have a support question however regarding Devolution's verification process. I don't know if you want to reveal the process, but may I ask if the filesize of the files is part of it? I'm still trying to figure out how a simple singular file-replacement in an ISO would cause it to not work with Devolution...
The ISO needs to be a 1:1 copy and if you change a file it will no longer be a 1:1 copy. Devolution is very specific with the ISOs it verifies and if you change one it will need to verify again. Verification only works with 1:1 copies. That's why it doesn't work.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it needs to be a 1:1 copy, but I didn't think that applied to the entire thing! I mean, it's not like the Wii can read the entire game disc in 10 to 20 seconds... I'm thinking its something more along the lines of the filesize change that's causing it to bork. I'll do a test at some point and see if it works or not if you replace a file with another of the exact same filesize (which should be moderately easy to achieve with an audio file, you just make it shorter or longer as necessary)

wiisixtyfour

Trophies
Website
wiisixtyfour.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
I know it needs to be a 1:1 copy, but I didn't think that applied to the entire thing! I mean, it's not like the Wii can read the entire game disc in 10 to 20 seconds... I'm thinking its something more along the lines of the filesize change that's causing it to bork. I'll do a test at some point and see if it works or not if you replace a file with another of the exact same filesize (which should be moderately easy to achieve with an audio file, you just make it shorter or longer as necessary)
I'm pretty sure it has to do with hashes and stuff; if you change a file the hash changes and therefore doesn't match when you have to verify it. Of course it doesn't check the whole disc when verifying. I doubt tueidj is going to explain how verification actually works.

gbatenp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it has been said at some point and the creator wasnt interested enough but i think would be great to add the option of play the original games from its own disks. Something like (just after the verificacion process):

'Do you want to play this game now?'

Yes --> play the original thing on Wii mode.
No --> Boot 1:1 image from HDD/USB.

Nothing less piracy that playing the original game, isn't it? :P

IceIceBird

Trophies
XP
Country
I know it has been said at some point and the creator wasnt interested enough but i think would be great to add the option of play the original games from its own disks. Something like (just after the verificacion process):

When the disc is verified you don't need the orginal disc at all so why? If you want to play the orginal disc then play the orginal disc don't use devolution at all ;)

thevoiceover

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

When the disc is verified you don't need the orginal disc at all so why? If you want to play the orginal disc then play the orginal disc don't use devolution at all ;)

I think people want to options and features of Devolution w/o having to take up the disc space on the HDD. Since devolution is running in "wii" mode and not "gamecube" mode, they want this option.. Somewhat of the same thing is going on w/ vita now, a home-brew app was developed sometime ago (vhbl) that lets you play home-brew on vita in psp mode with required "hack," not until recently has work been done that should soon let you run home brew in vita mode and all its new glories. I'm assuming this is what these guys are asking for, they want the advantages of running NGC titles in Wii mode w/o having to rip or take up disc space.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4U-CrK4Hug