Delaying Games and Hardware - Beneficial or Harmful?

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
2) They're only going to sell a fraction of the N3DS units they would have sold with a holiday launch. Average disposable income takes a massive dive in the months following the holidays, as credit card balances are being paid off. Not as many people are capable of buying consumer electronics in the first third of a calendar year.

Then explain the PS4 and its release date? I know it came out in November but it was sold out till April. I couldn't walk into the store and buy one till at least April/May as they were sold out and when they got them in they only lasted a day or two so it doesn't matter when the release date is it will sell if people want it.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then explain the PS4 and its release date? I know it came out in November but it was sold out till April. I couldn't walk into the store and buy one till at least April/May as they were sold out and when they got them in they only lasted a day or two so it doesn't matter when the release date is it will sell if people want it.

Probably because a lot of the people who wanted to buy it but couldn't due to the shortage saved the money until it was available.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think Mario, Zelda, Kirby etc should all die and they should think of a new character completely, even better think of a completely new game. I don't want to play a 1980's platformer on a 2013 console.

It's not the game devs fault thou, Nintendo put some really stupid rules onto their games. I think there is 1 rule that if you put a game in their estore (eshop, whatever) and it doesn't sell at least 10,000 copies in the first year you dont get paid for any of them. WTF NINTENDO!!! So if it sells 9,999 copies the dev doesn't get paid. Now that just sucks and I can see why people don't want to make games for it.
They give the devs too many restrictions and rules its just not worth their time and efforts to make games for it. They want to make games and get paid thats why they give the WiiU and 3DS a miss.
...Umm, no need to kill Mario, Zelda, Kirby, etc, they just need to use a new concept and make it mainstream, actually, using an old character also gives people that "trust" feel(However, this can backfire if people are expecting the same - Example: Turning GoW into a JRPG), also that 1985 platformer can be worked to be something better than your 2013's platform, you can always improve the concept or the userbase wants to play that 1985 platformer(Which is kinda true, with that 8bit retro-styled games becoming popular).
Now for that last issue, it applies for the Wii Shop Channel only AFAIK, also nobody knows if the eShop still uses that policy AFAIK too.

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need for 3DS XL you say I disagree I love the extra space & bigger screens the XL has to offer the 2DS on the other hand could have been skipped so the arrival of the New Nintendo 3DS/XL could come earlier on in the game

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need for 3DS XL you say I disagree I love the extra space & bigger screens the XL has to offer the 2DS on the other hand could have been skipped so the arrival of the New Nintendo 3DS/XL could come earlier on in the game

This, the 2DS feels so.... rushed, cheaply made. I know it's for kids, but, small screen, no hinge, smaller buttons, yeah, not getting it.

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This, the 2DS feels so.... rushed, cheaply made. I know it's for kids, but, small screen, no hinge, smaller buttons, yeah, not getting it.

I have literally seen videos of a smashed 2DS completely thrown and banged with a hammer fiercely and it survived :hateit:
I feel like this was a right choice for kids because for some reason they don't know how to handle a hinge but this option should have been way earlier since they are putting their N3DS out now as something to get.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to own one so I definitely agree with you its made out of cheap material & its meaningless i'm glad I traded it in inorder for me to upgrade to the NN3DS XL :)

I've been thinking about getting a 3DS, again, but yes, I felt the 2DS at a Best Buy kiosk and was like "screw this!" there must be a fine line between delaying and rushing it, a fine line, but even when not rushed or delayed, there are games that will still be sub par.

Reactions: SSG Vegeta

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Without reading the wall of text, I would definitely say it's beneficial.
Just look at Sonic 06, you can't find a better example than that. Although that game is hilarious(ly bad) in its own way, so it's not ALL bad. In a way, it's so bad it's good.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For starters, I think that quote should be "a delayed game CAN potentially be good. A rushed game is a bad game forever."

And even then, I think you should be thoughtful about what you call "rushed". What Miyamoto means (and I agree with), is that if features aren't properly tested or have to be cut, then it'll be much harder if not impossible to fix. Then it's better to polish them up before releasing them. But these have to be things that the developer KNOWS IN ADVANCE. And that there is no internal politics that hold the game back (sort of meaning that everyone, from the CEO down to the actual programmer, wants to get it fixed).

As such, diablo 3 (or, in fact, anything blizzard makes) is certainly one of the LAST games you should ever call rushed. Sure, it had its flaws, but these were, in a way, unavoidable flaws. Of course everyone wants to play it on release day, so of course the servers are going to be overflooded. But aside from releasing it on different days (which is getting harder and harder the more online purchases become more common), there is no way around it. And buying roughly twice the server capabilities just to serve a playerload that is only a problem the very first week or so, is insane in a financial way. Same for simcity, for that matter.
This well ties in to the other flaw of the game: it was needed for the trading house, which in itself required the online connection (without it, you can bet that within a few weeks or even days, illegally modded items would trade hands). I agree that the auction house was a mistake...but there was no way to know this for sure in advance. It's easy to look at it and say that it DIDN'T work, but near impossible to predict in advance that it WILL NOT work. And this isn't something blizzard can test, as such features requires the entire internet to test it out.

So...when taking into account that rushing should imply that just the TECHNICAL issues should be fixed, there is also something to be said about marketing. And the general audience as well. We all know that it takes time to create a great game. And the sort of game we want changes over time, which makes predicting how long it'll take a hard guess. The irony is: the more the game aims to be a clone of another game*, the easier it is to estimate. But when games are anticipated, pretty much everyone wants to know the one thing programmers cannot tell them: when it is going to be finished. So marketeers have to take educated guesses at a launch day. And sort of have to remind the programmers that they can't just KEEP adding stuff to the game (which would delay said game).
IMHO, those marketeers don't do a good enough job. I already pointed out the factors that make it hard for them to properly set a launch date, but even then (and even taking into account that writing software is just HARD) they should be able to make better guesses. And why are games always DELAYED and never released "too early"? If you ask me, those guys should (in general) take more time actually spending time with the team discussing roadmaps, time tables and such. Reality is often different, though. And I'm afraid gamers play a part in this (we don't automatically cancel our preorders when we hear a game is delayed. Often it's more of the contrary: the news of a delay is publicity for the game as well, which is generally good).

*watch_dogs, for example, is just Far cry or Assassin's Creed with a hacking submechanic. The entire guesswork mostly comes down to "how big is the open world going to be, and how many minigames/subquests are going to be in it?".

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think it very fitting that they've rushed every Mario game since 2011 and they've all been very meh.

It can only be good news that they didn't show off a new Mario game at E3 this year. It means they've started taking their time again.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, It's never good to rush any kind of project project really. You'll probably end up with a product that doesn't feel complete in one way or another.
But that does not meen that by delaying a project you'll automatically end up with a better product, You still need to see what needs to be done under this time of developement.

I rather have these big companies delaying their games than having them rush their games.
Because I trust that they have good judgement and a vision of what they want their games to be like.

Still, the best thing would be if they would be able to finnish their games well within deadline.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And then you have a game like Watch Dogs which was both delayed and rushed.

I am not sure I would really call Watch Dogs rushed, be in it general or by Ubisoft standards (thinking early assassins creed vs later ones). No argument there were elements that could have used improving or that could have gelled together better, however for me most of those felt like issues further up the design chain. On the other hand if they were doing the iterative design bit then I guess it could have used a few more rounds.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The problem with the 3DS is not being rushed, it's the poor choice of names. But I think You already know that.

About FFXV though, Ryukouki do you even read the news? This game sounds awful any way you look at it. A single button action RPG made for casual audience. Great. Because FF13 wasn't casual enough right? And the way it looked it some trailers it appears that this game will have automated dodging. Yeah, no thanks, SE has no idea what they should do with their FF franchise. It will be FF13 all over again. Well marketed BS.

To stay on topic delaying a game in order to achieve good quality is something that should be done. However you shouldn't delay it too much or else you end up like Duke Nukem Forever.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem with the 3DS is not being rushed, it's the poor choice of names. But I think You already know that.

To stay on topic delaying a game in order to achieve good quality is something that should be done. However you shouldn't delay it too much or else you end up like Duke Nukem Forever.

I can see some logic in the Wii U being a poor naming choice, I am not so sure the 3ds is a poor name in the same sense. The 3ds doing poorly seems to be more because they released a relatively weak console, one without games, had their third party developers split between it and the considerably nicer to develop, market and contemplate the size of audience for android/IOS platforms and their own.

On DNF I am not sure it is the best example. I would agree with assessments that DNF was almost a library/museum of game design, or at least first person shooting design, throughout the years. Whether it would really happen again today if I designed a game over the next ten years I am not entirely sure. I am not saying the industry is unchanging, however what changes are happening seem to be refinements rather than leaps (and that is a good thing from where I sit), give or take the times someone decides to merge two more traditional "genres" and we get a mini gold rush.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...