Dark Souls 1 to be delisted off Steam, Dark Souls: Remastered to take its place

After delaying the Nintendo Switch version of Dark Souls: Remastered, developer From Software also made it known that the Steam/PC version of the original Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition of the game will be removed from Steam on May 8th. The game will be entirely replaced by the new Remastered version, and you'll no longer be able to buy the original. However, if you still own the game, you'll be able to redownload it and play it indefinitely. As a bonus to PC players, they'll be getting a 50% off discount for Remastered if they own the original. Publisher Bandai Namco also gave us a trailer to show off the remaster's visual differences. Dark Souls: Remastered launches on May 25 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC, while a Switch version will release later this summer.

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
-- snip --
I'm not gonna argue with you, I did no research at all about this, but what you're telling me is that you're ok with them charging you again for the same game because the first one was a complete mess and now they want to rectify their mistake by making you fork out an additional $20??

Last edited by _v3,

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so they are basically gonna split the playerbase behind a paywall, not only did i pay for their shitty port, but now the also want to put a paywall behind a patch for the game? i mean, for fucks sake, its a PC game, it doesnt need a remaster, its just a fucking patch
It's Scholar of the First Sin all over again...

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I don't think so, this looks more like the engine they used for DS2/DS3.
No it isn't. It's the same engine, just modified to support 60fps without breaking physics, adjusted lighting, and online improvements. And, assuming whomever said Blighttown was fixed is correct, they also updated how the engine renders parts of the world as well.

If it were using a whole new engine, it wouldn't be a remaster at that point, it'd be a complete remake since DS2/3 play way different than DS1 does.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
No they took a game that was hardcapped at 30 FPS, because anything higher absolutely broke the fuck out of the games physics, fixed it, upped the resolution/textures, and are selling it for like $40 new. Oh and they overhauled the online system to work better and more like Dark Souls 3.

Do some research before looking like an idiot? It's the first google result.
It's confirmed 60 fps?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No it isn't. It's the same engine, just modified to support 60fps without breaking physics, adjusted lighting, and online improvements. And, assuming whomever said Blighttown was fixed is correct, they also updated how the engine renders parts of the world as well.

If it were using a whole new engine, it wouldn't be a remaster at that point, it'd be a complete remake since DS2/3 play way different than DS1 does.
Oh, I figured it would've been easier to port over the assets to a newer engine rather than to fix up the old engine. Didn't really notice DS1 playing differently from the other two, save for some more dickish enemies in DS1.

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It's Scholar of the First Sin all over again...
pretty much, only this time they are going from a bearly working port to a (i suppose its gonna be) good port, when with DS2 it was going from a perfectly functional port to yet another perfectly functional port.
my point here is: its a patch, it shouldnt be paid

Reactions: Stephano

Zaiphon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes. It was confirmed with the announcement back in January. It'll be 60fps and 1080p on PS4/Xbone, upscaled 4k for XBoneX and PS4 Pro, and native 4k for PC.

The Switch version is still capped at 30fps and 720p portable and 30fps and 1080p in docked.
SWITCH BTW XD

crea

Trophies
XP
Country
Lesotho
I payed about 3€ during a steam sale for Prepare to die edition. Those steam sales were all over the place, the games was very cheap for a long time, practically free.

So the price discussion is out of line imo. For a game with 4 hours play value this might be overpriced, to accuse From of bein money grabbing is outright ridiculous.

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I payed about 3€ during a steam sale for Prepare to die edition. Those steam sales were all over the place, the games was very cheap for a long time, practically free.

So the price discussion is out of line imo. For a game with 4 hours play value this might be overpriced, to accuse From of bein money grabbing is outright ridiculous.
just because you waited for a sale it doesnt mean everyone did

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Now she knows a tenth percent of what I go through when you send me pms
    +3
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My links could be wild life in nature or wild life in unnatural circumstances lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your links are the Ukraine Russia war
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biden signed a income contract just so you can keep sending me the mutated things that you do
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That just look right with food coloring liquid running down it
    +1
    Muhahahaha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Blue omelette
    +1
    Lol Ken will never eat an omelette again lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Actually ihops omlettes still hit haven't had one in forever
    The steak one is amazing
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn near $20 so fuck them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I second that, they are good. I always get the steak and add mushrooms to it also. But yea been awhile since had myself. I used to go there every morn for coffee and breakfast, meet with my work crew, but we all stop going, too expensive.
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I'm scarred for life.
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    See you guys, I'll get lost for another month. Maybe the rest of the year.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See you tomorrow
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Peace. Take care, no more searching tonight. You gonna have nightmares.
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    See you tomorrow.
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    did she just vomit on the chat before leaving
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    why are girls doing this nowadays? is this some weird way of showing dominance?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, I put her outside though, then cleaned it up.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ah yes the unique power of girls vomiting on you
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ah yes the unique power of girls vomiting on you