Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
CycloDS iEvolution Review
Official GBATemp Review
00_cyclods_ievo_review_header.png

The review for the CycloDS iEvolution, the first publically released DSi-Mode Flash Kit, has just been wrapped up. I am sure users are curious about the Flash Kit, its features and compatibility, and how it stacks up to the claims on the back of the box? To find out you will need to read the review!

For any questions about the Flash Kit itself, please post them into this thread. I will do my best to reply with answers. If anyone has any files they would like tested, I am willing (time permitting) to accommodate such requests. Any grammatical issues, typos, or the like should be PMed to me. Please do not clutter the discussion thread with such comments.

Please Be Aware:
GBATemp has recently opened all reviews for user comments. Please remember that the comments must adhere to our strict guidelines. Do not post congratulatory comments, comments speculative in nature, negative comments, non-researched questions, or the like. Do not post comments that have nothing to do with the review or the review’s content. Such comments will be deleted without warning or explanation. Users should consider only posting well researched comments that further the overall effect of the review and nothing more.

The review thread itself will remain locked for the first week to avoid questions and comments. Again, please submit all questions and comments into this thread.

icon11.gif
CycloDS iEvolution Review
icon38.gif
CycloDS iEvolution on ShopTemp: reviews, downloads, where to buy, second-hand deals...

GH0ST

Your Hero is a Ghost
Trophies
Website
www.neuronball.com
XP
Country
France
Thanks Another World for your amazing work.

I hope your review will greatly help to fix some issues.

As for the early build of the Homebrew compatibility layer we can surely expect some future improvements.
QUOTE said:
I attempted to test the latest revisions of Homebrew projects. For popular Homebrew projects I tested the most downloaded revision and not the latest BETAs.
QUOTESome recent Homebrew projects, when recompiled with the updated LibNDS, have proved to function correctly when launched from within DSi-Mode. The unfortunate fact of Homebrew development is that many projects have been abandoned without a public source code release. If the compatibility layer can not be updated or tweaked to aid the performance of older projects, Homebrew enthusiasts may be forced to enjoy various projects only in DS-Mode.
I will forward the list to Team Cyclops. Some of them were working earlier ( like Scumm... ) without issues (Pocket Physics load/save fails when card is corrupted ).

Perhaps some problems are related to some version you tried or linked to incomplete fixed regression from the previous upgrade to V2.1 firmware ( Fixed game compatibility regression with some games... ).

There is no link to the comments thread in the review itself (Perhaps it is your choice ?)

Sounds perhaps stupid but I would like to see the addition of an effective green point for any product with only online manual ( any rating ? ) since we don't need pricy paper manual anymore. Let's save trees ;-)

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a feeling they won't be satisfied with just a 'Silver Award' as they've been investing alot of effort to make their card compete (2000$ Homebrew donation etc) along DSTWO.
Something tells me you'll be receiving some e-mails as GBAtemp's reviews has alot of impact regarding product purchases on its huge userbase.
ninja.gif

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, i have no doubt about the fact TC will improve their flashcart.

@AW : very detailed review as usual. Thanks for this.
About DSi dumps, the first group who published a proper DSi dump was Legacy.
wink.gif

xaeroak15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks AW~
Hmm...seems all roms related dsi mode have problems
Roms are not properly dumped? I think this is not the main reason.
Hope for the next update.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Killermech said:
I have a feeling they won't be satisfied with just a 'Silver Award' as they've been investing alot of effort to make their card compete (2000$ Homebrew donation etc) along DSTWO.
Something tells me you'll be receiving some e-mails as GBAtemp's reviews has alot of impact regarding product purchases on its huge userbase.
ninja.gif
To be fair, Team Cyclo jumped the gun by donating before seeing the final review.
But they probably agree, if many games and homebrew aren't working right in DSi Mode, they gotta improve on that.
This is still only preliminary, the iEvolution will probably get better.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
RupeeClock said:
Killermech said:
ninja.gif
To be fair, Team Cyclo jumped the gun by donating before seeing the final review.
But they probably agree, if many games and homebrew aren't working right in DSi Mode, they gotta improve on that.
This is still only preliminary, the iEvolution will probably get better.

I don't think it was ever their intention to do anything like that.
They made the promise of donation a while ago, like 1 month ago, back when the review unit wasn't even in our hands.
The donation arrived a little late because of the chinese new year holidays.
So they never made it sound like the donation was connected to the review in any way.

It would be dishonest to give the card a gold award at this point IMO, but its up to the reviewer's to decide.

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
What a pitty, what a pitty. Maybe this card is a "must buy" if something happens in the next weeks or months. But right now, I really see no reason to buy it.

Oh well. I'll buy some 2.i Acekards then... I get 3-4 Acekards for the price of an iEvo.
mellow.gif

Sloshy

Trophies
Website
piecesoflint.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Great and informative review! I've always been a Cyclo-fan, and my current Cyclo works great for me. Cyclo always releases fast updates (except for the second half of last year, but that's because they were working on this
wink.gif
) and I'm sure that any regressions will be fixed soon. You can't blame them for homebrew and games that aren't built for DSi mode; that's what the regular DS-mode's for. If this ends up working on the 3DS eventually when I get one (no way am I getting a DSi this late), I'll most definitely purchase it
smile.gif
!

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
if it is possible to update the compatibility layer to allow ds-mode homebrew to operate in dsi-mode correctly, if they fix the broken homebrew projects for both modes, if they fix the small gui bugs (nothing major just annoying little things), and if they get wifi working in dsi-mode, then this kit would easily be a gold award. the fact that there is no dsi homebrew for it is nothing i can fault, and they obviously want dsi homebrew, they donated 2,000 bucks. hopefully dsi roms get re-dumped with the correct tool and the problems get fixed. the kit has so much potential, yet sadly, i've said that before =/. it will be up to them to fix the problems.

p.s. cyclops, you can hire me to test homebrew for you. just email me! =P

on a side note, i got called out by someone for calling this the first legal dsi flash kit. the person linked me to this http://home.usay.jp/wiki/?NDS%2FMagiCom%2FNS168DS. check it out! something i never knew about, lol =).

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this is him being described +1