Hacking CycloDS Evolution v1.56 BETA 7 Released

Eon-Rider

Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
So it seems we aren't to link to the beta updates now (after all these years of people complaining that we were breaking Team Cyclops's rules).
I've noticed that the firmware is still on Filetrip, so are we allowed to tell people to look there, or do we have to tell them to get it from the CycloDS site?
I was under the same impression. Almost every single BETA of CycloDS Evolution firmware has been posted before. They have all had that same message and the staff has always let them by.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thing is, the last OFFICIAL CycloDS firmware was from September of 2009.....and March 2009 before that. I consider that quite a long time to go between firmwares in the flashcart market. Their beta releases are the only thing that really keeps the CycloDS going. How many games still wouldn't work if EVERYONE had to wait for an official release as they release beta-after-beta to only a select few who are lucky enough to be able to sign up on their forums and look there all the time? And TC is saying they are going to release yet another beta within the next week or so, so there's even MORE waiting for an official release. If you ask me, I think they should have made 1.56b4 an official release, right before they started all the "stealth mode" stuff and 1.57 should have focused on stealth mode with a couple betas and THIS release should have been 1.57 Final, but you know, they will do what they want, how they want, when they want. What I think means squat.

Now, I don't bother announcing beta releases, other than maybe mentioning it in the shoutbox offhand, but I think it's sort of unrealistic for TC to expect people to wait many months beyond other flashcart manufacturers for fixes, especially when their sign-up process is so prohibitive on their forums. I keep thinking that if places like GBAtemp and other sites didn't mention their betas, CycloDS would have fallen by the wayside long ago because people would never have known that the games they wanted to play were made to work in an unannounced beta release. I agree and comply with TC that beta releases shouldn't be announced, especially as frontpage news, simply because some betas are quite poor (like 1.56b5 was) and should never be used by the general public, but a simple post buried in the forums I consider fine, as well as a mirror download link for all those who can't register at TC's forums without jumping through hoops to have what TC considers an acceptable email address. My thoughts would be quite different if signing up at their forums wasn't such a hassle for so many people who paid a premium price for the CycloDS.

I am NOT speaking for any of GBAtemp's staff, this is just my personal opinion on the matter. And you know what they say about opinions.....

sfg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's probably some old "rule".

Take a look at this:

QUOTE said:
Usually when a build is posted in this forum, the corresponding final build will appear a few days later pending the success of the BETA testing.

This is hardly the case. There are many betas between final releases. As Rayder said, it's unrealistic to expect people to wait for the finals since the betas basically act as updates, with game fixes and everything.

Gariscus

Former Team Cyclops Mod
Trophies
XP
Country
CycloDS Revolution hosts all of the firmwares(including the latest betas) to 1.10 STABLE. It's run by a mod on Team Cyclops Forums, leiger(though most of you probably already know this)

It's usually updated within a few hours of a (beta)firmware being released by Team Cyclops. So people who have trouble registering, can't be bothered to register or are banned can download them from there. Plus it's fairly easy to navigate.

(Hope I'm not going against that so called rule by just linking to a site that hosts the firmwares)

Edit: Well TC just posted something that just rendered this post useless... CycloDS Revolution is down anyway...

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TC just posted this on their forum:
Team Cyclops said:
For those who wish to post BETA's outside of this forum, while originally we frowned on this, at this stage we have no problem with it - providing that the standard disclaimer that its a BETA release is given. Considering the amount of compatibility and other fixes included in the latest BETA line, it would actually be of benefit to others if the release was spread around a bit more.
So someone less lazy than me should throw that sucker back up here.

Source: http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/showthrea...ge=8#post113494

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was just posted over at the TC forums by Evolution (TC Staff):

QUOTE said:
We've had a few complaints recently regarding the prolonged BETA testing periods, so we've decided to make a few changes to how we do firmware releases. Rather than doing yet another BETA release for v1.56 as was revealed a few pages back, we will instead tie things up the best we can and then release v1.56 stable within the next few days.

In future we will try to keep the number of BETA's down to a minimum and increase the frequency of final releases. For those who wish to post BETA's outside of this forum, while originally we frowned on this, at this stage we have no problem with it - providing that the standard disclaimer that its a BETA release is given. Considering the amount of compatibility and other fixes included in the latest BETA line, it would actually be of benefit to others if the release was spread around a bit more.

Don't know if it was because of what I said previously in this thread, but that clears the issue up quite nicely. We ARE allowed to announce beta releases of CycloDS firmwares (as long as it is stated that it IS in fact a beta) and can post mirror links of those firmwares. So....yay

SOURCE

EDIT: Heh, you beat me to it Destructobot.

leiger

Trophies
XP
Country
And also here: CycloDS Revolution - Firmware v1.56 beta 7

Edit: Seems gariscus already posted
smile.gif
Thanks

Gariscus said:
CycloDS Revolution is down anyway...

Minor hiccup. Servers were being put under a stress test and apparently they encountered some bug that caused a few sites to act strangely for a while. The website was still there, but you couldn't access it from the home page. Fixed now. Downtime is on average one hour per month last I checked.

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While they might be good at getting their cart playing the games, they don't give any time to fixing their forum bugs at all. The "search" and "new posts" buttons haven't worked there in months.
wacko.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Destructobot said:
leiger said:
Downtime is on average one hour per month last I checked.
You have to be joking. That forum goes down for days at a time at least several times a year.
He's on about Wikidot, not the official forum.
@Rayder: They're working on it now.

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
Destructobot said:
leiger said:
You have to be joking. That forum goes down for days at a time at least several times a year.

Heh, yeah, just saw that today where they said they were working on it. Just like they're working on a new GUI, right?
wink.gif

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rayder said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Destructobot said:
leiger said:

Heh, yeah, just saw that today where they said they were working on it. Just like they're working on a new GUI, right?
wink.gif
*cough*cough* Er, well...that is...um...
wink2.gif
rolleyes.gif
mellow.gif

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh, heh.

Don't get me wrong. I love my CycloDS and TC's continued support. It's just that I'm a cynical bastard these days.
nyanya.gif

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rayder said:
Heh, heh.

Don't get me wrong. I love my CycloDS and TC's continued support. It's just that I'm a cynical bastard these days.
nyanya.gif
Well, you are getting old...
Um...you're a mod...er...don't kill me!!
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
smileipb2.png

I enjoy looking at these releases and thinking about how everyone seems to moan about them
rolleyes.gif

vergessen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I admit I am curious, what more do you want the gui to do? How much time do you spend looking at the gui. It is a tool to pick the homebrew or game. As near as I can tell it covers all options.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/O8G6DCnlLDQ