Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cosplaykitsune.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I was hoping to reach out and request some help, I 'm with a group of people trying to archive the wonderful world of Culdcept!
long story short, I got most of the musical resources but it seems everything like animations, and models, all that fun jazz is locked behind a .dat file.
i know .dats are super common and stupid, but this is one walnut I just cant crack!
I really think this would help our community if we can getit a goin' but I'm super stuck.
has anyone had any experience in this kinda thing?
is it okay to post the dat?
ahhh sos pleeassseee

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i know .dats are super common and stupid
Files named ".dat" are super common. But one file named ".dat" doesn't necessarily have anything whatsoever in common with another file named ".dat". I don't even know what leads you to conclude that it should contain animations and models – and even if it did contain "animations and models", what would you do with them without knowing what format they are in?

A problem like this comes down to the same difficult reverse engineering as everything else. There are probably not any shortcuts.

TekkamanChronos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Files named ".dat" are super common. But one file named ".dat" doesn't necessarily have anything whatsoever in common with another file named ".dat". I don't even know what leads you to conclude that it should contain animations and models – and even if it did contain "animations and models", what would you do with them without knowing what format they are in?

A problem like this comes down to the same difficult reverse engineering as everything else. There are probably not any shortcuts.
Yes Dear, I know that. That is why I said It's a Common file, Im sorry i didn't say "Type" at the end of it.
I guess it gave off the impression that I didn't know such an elementary fact from the begin with.

But yes, It's a generic file type that could be anything,
I've tried a number of extractors know .dat files in the 3ds format.
which is why I was asking for assistance. Perhaps someone already has one, or has experience in creating something that can help with the project.

As to what lead me to believe that this file contains the info i need is plain and simple.
The Musical data is not compressed in the .Dat format and takes up half of the file's size.
While the remainder/missing data. Images, models, resources , ect that are missing from the extraction, Anyone with two brain cells, would put two and two together and assume it would be inside the compressed .dat file
The only other file inside the game.

TheTrueDream42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you open it in a hex editor like HxD, and post a screenshot of the beginning of the file here? That'll at least help identify what kind of file it might be.

Also, what tools have you tried to use, if any?

Last edited by TheTrueDream42,

TekkamanChronos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
unknown.png

Post automatically merged:

Sorry, passed out shortly after that reply, is this the right thing? It's bunch of us working on this hoping for the best, umm I personally tried Ohana with no luck. I'm not sure what the other guy working with me tried, he's offline at the moment so i cant really ask (But I did leave a message)
Post automatically merged:

This is a sample of the issue at hand, just in case that isnt the data you needed
https://mega.nz/file/5JgUgYwR#Wev6IPF3YsQE5pyJCeIBoGNfOPNFFtwSCFAxN29DwsE

Last edited by TekkamanChronos,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4