Homebrew CTRX - PS1 Emulator

machinamentum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v0.9-alpha now available. This adds vblank event support and big-endian mode (untested). More homebrew should be able to boot using this release.
screenshot04.png

Last edited by machinamentum,

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm praying to god my JPN 3ds comes with <9.2 so i can use retroarch

Then use Retroarch if your system comes with <9.2 and leave this thread alone. Despite how slow it seems, this emulator is making amazing progress. You can't just pull an emulator built purely from scratch out of your ass. RetroArch was ported, all of the real hard work put into it was already done in the first place, it was just modified to work on the 3DS. I've followed his project on GitHub, even since a month before this thread was even made. NOBODY has committed to the project, meaning he's the only that's worked on it, and how far he's gotten in almost 2 month's work, he's done an amazing job. If I had the programming ability, I would have gladly committed to get this working sooner. Especially since this new release can already run PSOne homebrew. That right there is a HUGE step! If the Dynamic Recompiler theory is true, despite RetroArch already exists, this emulator will possibly have better compatibility and performance overtime since it's fine tuned specifically for this system.

Last edited by Selim873,

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then use Retroarch if your system comes with <9.2 and leave this thread alone. Despite how slow it seems, this emulator is making amazing progress. You can't just pull an emulator built purely from scratch out of your ass. RetroArch was ported, all of the real hard work put into it was already done in the first place, it was just modified to work on the 3DS. I've followed his project on GitHub, even since a month before this thread was even made. NOBODY has committed to the project, meaning he's the only that's worked on it, and how far he's gotten in almost 2 month's work, he's done an amazing job. If I had the programming ability, I would have gladly committed to get this working sooner. Especially since this new release can already run PSOne homebrew. That right there is a HUGE step! If the Dynamic Recompiler theory is true, despite RetroArch already exists, this emulator will possibly have better compatibility and performance overtime since it's fine tuned specifically for this system.
I want to use this emulator. Its built from the ground up. I don't understand why I am getting so much hate for one comment...

Reactions: Margen67

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I want to use this emulator. Its built from the ground up. I don't understand why I am getting so much hate for one comment...

Most likely because you said nothing about this one and simply stated that you wanted to use retroarch which has nothing to do with this thread at all.

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely because you said nothing about this one and simply stated that you wanted to use retroarch which has nothing to do with this thread at all.
i was having a conversation about what I could do with with and a guy said retroarch. Then I said I hope my N3DS comes with less then <9.2 not off topic at all. Do you people even read? I wan't it to come on that firmware so i can use this.

Last edited by BurningDesire,
D

Deleted User

On-topic: I believe that if my SysNand is 4.5 or lower, I have Kernel Access, even if I use EmuNand with a higher version? For when the REALLY good stuff starts getting going, right?

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Well if Kernel Access is available, it'd make the emulator run better correct? Which means I'm asking if I'm in the optimal position for if/when the emulator actually gains K.A.
Ahhhh, I see what you mean. CTRX currently doesn't use anything that's available only to kernel-exploited systems, though, and while it's certainly possible that it might in the future, it's not by any means certain that a kernel exploit will ever make CTRX better. The topic post talks about (hypothetically) using gspwn to implement a dynarec on any firmware version/without the availability of a kernel exploit, so if machinamentum goes that route the performance should be the same all around.

I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is yes, though, you should still have kernel access in recent version emuNAND.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhhh, I see what you mean. CTRX currently doesn't use anything that's available only to kernel-exploited systems, though, and while it's certainly possible that it might in the future, it's not by any means certain that a kernel exploit will ever make CTRX better. The topic post talks about (hypothetically) using gspwn to implement a dynarec on any firmware version/without the availability of a kernel exploit, so if machinamentum goes that route the performance should be the same all around.

I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is yes, though, you should still have kernel access in recent version emuNAND.
In a sense, we probably won't need a kexploit for this, ever. There's a theory going on the a "dynamic recompiler" could in fact be written in userland. And I meant to put that in quotes. It's in the OP.

Gardevoir7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is amazing and everything but I gotta ask how you could make this playable. I mean I can't even imagine the New 3DS emulating this perfectly. We can barely do GBA...

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

Trophies
XP
Country
This is amazing and everything but I gotta ask how you could make this playable. I mean I can't even imagine the New 3DS emulating this perfectly. We can barely do GBA...
Probably not "perfectly" but the New3DS can emulate PSX very well!
I know this isn't the retroarch-thread but I want to show you what I've found on youtube:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ... that's rough buddy