Hacking Creating a North American, non-XL New 3DS

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of that said, if anyone here really does have the skills and equipment for something like this, they should speak up! You could probably make a little size business out of something like this, at least until someone figures out a software method. There's more customers than just GBATemp—a LOT of people on Neogaf, for example, would probably jump at the opportunity to get an american N3DS made for them.

Please do not blow $300+ when you could literally pay someone less than that to re-engineer an exploit for you. Software that will let you do this is just around the corner.

Reactions: Gadorach

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Please do not blow $300+ when you could literally pay someone less than that to re-engineer an exploit for you. Software that will let you do this is just around the corner.
Agreed, the only time a CPU-swap should ever be done, is when it's for a dead, JTAG-able Jasper. That's when it's kind-of worth it, ha ha

Well, or a DevKit, those are usually worth the effort too.

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of mine came in when the RGH became popular. Past reballing old Xenons and Zephyrs for the JTAG hack, I did mostly DVD-ROM Flashing when I was in high school. Good times, but things are more complicated now, doing it as a subcontractor for local businesses, on all kinds of random shit.

I can do it, but I don't need the business anymore. I'm busy enough as it is. I contract to 5 businesses in my area, and I pretty much never have time for anything else anymore. At most, I'd do it for friends, but there's plenty of people out there that would be willing to do it if presented. Look for cell phone repair places if you're desperate. They usually have the talent on call at minimum.

did the dvd flashing as well, my old falcon is still kicking :) RGH was fun for a while.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yeah I would say karl3ds would probably be the most likely source of salvation for this stuff in the near future, at the rate they are progressing I wouldn't be surprised to see a NAND xorpad creator or something like that soon.....although without the ability to install the region specific titles on the NAND too might be a bit of a brick wall as karl3ds afaik doesn't plan to have any CIA installation stuff........hmm actually, maybe signed FW files might be ok, it's just signature checks not being disabled right?

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WulfyStylez has said that KARL3DS will give people permission to install signed CIA files, which is all we need. Someone will still need to make an installer though.

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
did the dvd flashing as well, my old falcon is still kicking :) RGH was fun for a while.
Ha ha, mine was too, until I sold it. I think it's still fine though, so no problem. Had that one for a long time, RGH'd it initially to help with RGLoader development. I still have beta 0.36 on one of my old hard drives, and it doesn't even boot, just an early test build Tydye81 sent me when we were doing hardware and software research. Good times those were, been a few years, ha ha

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I would say karl3ds would probably be the most likely source of salvation for this stuff in the near future, at the rate they are progressing I wouldn't be surprised to see a NAND xorpad creator or something like that soon.....although without the ability to install the region specific titles on the NAND too might be a bit of a brick wall as karl3ds afaik doesn't plan to have any CIA installation stuff........hmm actually, maybe signed FW files might be ok, it's just signature checks not being disabled right?
You can replace your titles and title.db with a dump from a console on the same FIRM version to get around CIA installation. Also yeah, signed titles in CIAs are fine. You could probably make a CIA installer right now even.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
You can replace your titles and title.db with a dump from a console on the same FIRM version to get around CIA installation. Also yeah, signed titles in CIAs are fine. You could probably make a CIA installer right now even.
Yeah big red menu should work on karl3ds once it's all set up I assume

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ha ha, mine was too, until I sold it. I think it's still fine though, so no problem. Had that one for a long time, RGH'd it initially to help with RGLoader development. I still have beta 0.36 on one of my old hard drives, and it doesn't even boot, just an early test build Tydye81 sent me when we were doing hardware and software research. Good times those were, been a few years, ha ha

made so much money with dvd flashing. something like 5-6K over a summer in the bay area. mostly friend to friend's friend. never gave my full name. i was also really into the psp scene in highschool. i did mobo swaps for ta-88v3 to ta-88v1/2 for the psp-slim when people wanted the hackable motherboards. then the 3000 came out and ruined all our fun. :(

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's still giving full permissions to call the services to install the CIAs, it's just not patching the signature checks that service makes, so the unofficial, or modified, CIAs won't install.
Or, at least, that's how I understand it from what's been said so far.

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah big red menu should work on karl3ds once it's all set up I assume
It's still giving full permissions to call the services to install the CIAs, it's just not patching the signature checks that service makes, so the unofficial, or modified, CIAs won't install.
Or, at least, that's how I understand it from what's been said so far.

i'd still like a fully blown open system, but HEN is nice too.

Scarftail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sometime regret bringing up theoretical situations such as cpu/NAND swapping in general threads where people don't really know what it entails....seems I didn't word it strongly enough that this would be a very extreme measure to go to for the sake of getting a US normal N3ds

Funny you should say that, because I didn't get the idea from your post. It came to me, but I didn't expect it to be so severely difficult.

Also,
Elaborate.

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For this project, if you still need a US SecureInfo_A, i'm looking for a SecureInfo_A JPN version, and I know some of you with N3DS maynot have a NA 3DS to get the file from so c:

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I need some help:

I managed to get the Xorpad of my EUR New 3DS's NAND. The software I used to do this isn't really mine to share, but the Xorpad it generated is legit.

I am now trying to do an EUR -> USA region change. I eventually want to change SysNand's region, but I decided to try in EmuNand first, to make sure everything works properly. It's a good thing I did, as I seem to have bricked EmuNand.

I'm not sure what I did wrong, so could anyone help me? Thanks a lot! Here's what I did:
1) Formated EmuNand and installed DevMenu
2) Installed this list of USA CIAs acquired from UpdateCDN.
3) Opened system settings, selected format system memory, and waited for the system to reboot
4) Turned off system, put SD card into computer, and used emuNandTool to extract EmuNand from SD card.
5) Used 3DSFAT16Tool to extract EmuNAND's fat16 partition (3DSFat16tool.py -d -n3ds emu.bin emu.iso n3ds.xorpad)
6) Mounted the fat16 partition, and swapped the existing SecureInfo_A file with one taken from a USA Old 3DS.
7) Used compareTitlesCSV to generate of this list of EUR titles that were no longer needed.
8) Deleted above list of titles from the "title" folder of the fat16 partiton NAND.
9) Injected fat16 partition back into my emunand dump via 3DSFAT16Tools (same command, but w/ -i instead of -d).
10) Used emunandtool to write my modified emuNand image back to my SD card.
12) Inserted SD card back into 3DS, and attempted to boot into emuNAND...

...the result, as I've already said, was a black screen, even after multiple tries.

I hope I didn't give too much detail—I just wanted to make sure that my process is replicable. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks a ton!

Assuming I'm able to get past this hurdle, I will continue to document everything I do.

Edit: In PM's someone suggested that I try without deleting the duplicate titles (ie, skip steps 7-8). This was intended to remove duplicate copies of apps (two copies of system settings, two copies of health and safety, etc.), but is not strictly necessary.

It worked! It's extremely unstable (it froze after a minute), but it does work!

Edit2: So the 3DS seems to freeze about second after I either exit sleep mode or suspend an application. What could cause that?

Edit3: for whatever it's worth:
f332f4f020.png

powersaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why document? You used a tool that was released accidentally that no one else has...

I don't think you will get help because you used a tool that was released accidentally.

I don't think this is possible (yet) because the people who have done (can do) this, but won't release the information on how to. Unfortunately while many want to do this, it may be a long time because it is their decision not to release.

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The tool was only used to obtain my NAND's xorpad. Everything else is publicly available.

To be clear, btw, the region change is working—see the image above. There's just a couple issues...

powersaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are stupid and bragging.

It makes no sense to ask for help using a tool no one has and it makes no sense to document a process no one can follow.

The tool was only used to obtain my NAND's xorpad. Everything else is publicly available, and others will need it in the future.

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not asking for help with the tool. I've generated my system's Xorpad and now I'm done with the tool. I tried to find a way to avoid mentioning it in my post but that wasn't really possible. I really do apologize if I came off as bragging.

I think this is worth documenting because (1) Xorpad tools will become publicly available at some point in the future and others will need a process to follow in order to do a region change, and (2) I really do like the N3DS and I want more people to be able to use it normally. I also really could use some help—from anyone who has experience doing region changes on Old 3DS's, for instance—but if no one wants to, that's fine as well, I guess. I still think this is a cool project and I'd like to share it to the extent that I can.

powersaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could release the tool?

Because it's not already released, it probably won't be, so this is useless to anyone but you and the few people who won't share.

Also, it doesn't matter what you're asking for help for specifically, you are still stupid and bragging.

I'm not asking for help with the tool. I've generated my system's Xorpad and now I'm done with the tool.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
2) Installed this list of USA CIAs acquired from UpdateCDN.
3) Opened system settings, selected format system memory, and waited for the system to reboot
Okay, so you installed the CIA's then formatted the system, uninstalling the CIA's? That explains it :P Formatting removes all installed titles. Try to switch those two steps and see what happens.
That would also explain why it booted with the EU titles still installed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I have lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And I havent watched Brotherhood yet
    It was watchable, not sure what my favorite Anime is hmmm
    Castlevania or Baki probably
    Robotech was good
    DBZ I liked up until Cell after that it got too weird
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My youtube comment got 2k likes achievement unlocked
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, i also watch my hero academia and rewatching dragón ball starting from the og series
    Oh also loved Vanhellsing
    And Vanhellsing abridged lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Aurora Borealis?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY, LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    jokes aside, anyone else who saw the northern lights tonight, what did you think, i thought they were beautiful for a while, before it went to a vague pink
    maybe later they'll pick up again
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went out and tried to see, but I'm too south, and its too cloudy, bummer
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    too far south? it goes down to alabama tonight
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry about the clouds btw, the sky is clear here rn
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe just too cloudy for me then, Idk
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its neat tho, I seen it years ago when I was visiting Canada.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking