Tutorial Creating a 3ds custom theme from scratch with YATA+ v1.1

Would you like a some videos on how to make themes ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted User

OK, then do you have an evil antivirus that stops YATA+?
No, I think Kaspersky would've given me a notification if it blocked YATA+. like what it does with 99% of the programs i pirate
EDIT: GDI I JUST NEEDED TO RUN IT AS AN ADMINISTRATOR

Reactions: SomeGamer

NukeKioh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a quick question. Whenever I try to make some background music for a custom theme I'm working on, it ends up being sounding really broken and distorted. I've made sure that the .bcstm file is indeed less than 3.3 MB.

Is there by chance a limit to how long the background music is? Because I have a feeling that might be the issue.

D

Deleted User

I have a quick question. Whenever I try to make some background music for a custom theme I'm working on, it ends up being sounding really broken and distorted. I've made sure that the .bcstm file is indeed less than 3.3 MB.

Is there by chance a limit to how long the background music is? Because I have a feeling that might be the issue.
Can you PM me the WAV you're trying to convert?

Reactions: NukeKioh

DoJo_Master

Trophies
Website
www.3dsthemes.com
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, great tutorial! Here is the 3DSThemes Sticker O" approval!

shrunk.png

Chromzepher

Trophies
XP
Country
When I attempt to drag a .wav into YATA+, nothing happens. Are there any other workaround for creating BGM on custom themes?

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
When I attempt to drag a .wav into YATA+, nothing happens. Are there any other workaround for creating BGM on custom themes?
Edit -> BGM CONVERTERS -> "WAV -> BCSTM"
But if yata+ doesn't recognize it as a wav maybe isn't in the right format and the conversion may fail, to be sure convert the file to wav (even if it's arleady a wav) with format factory

Doctor Qwerty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question; did I do something wrong or is it impossible to change the close folder button?

I saved my theme with these settings, not a single orange colour box to be seen: http://i.imgur.com/mOYwlGz.png
And the close folder button looks like this, orange: http://i.imgur.com/TUKDtiu.jpg

Edit: http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-...-3ds-theme-editor.393355/page-10#post-5626327
Looks like there's just shenanigans going on and I need to flip my colour channels around. :v

Edit edit: Still not perfect, but a definite improvement: http://i.imgur.com/nAJZqPr.jpg

Last edited by Doctor Qwerty,
Reactions: Deleted User

Princess Emily

Smiles innocently...
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hello guys. I'm new here BTW.
I dunno if this the wrong place to ask questions, but my questions are related to 3ds custom themes...

1. I'm kinda confused about how to "install" the custom theme to your 3ds but I've figured it out long (after being lost because the threads don't specifically state the steps on how to load the custom theme). So is it basically add both the body_LZ.bin & bgm.bcstm to the 3ds_extdatatool folder? Also confusing is the slightly different steps when compared to the YouTube one:

So basically what I want is to have a tl;dr on how to load the custom themes

2. Also, how to undo the custom theme? Like after loading it, how to unload it again?

3. And finally, how to save the custom theme pack to your 3DS? Like if for example you're using another theme, how to do it so that you can load back the custom theme without going to the Tubehax/Ironhax again?

D

Deleted User

You just plop the body_LZ.bin file on your SD card in the 3ds_extdatatool folder, open the extdata tool in the Homebrew Launcher, choose 'Copy theme data from sd card to extdata' and then 'Enable persistent theme cache', then go back to the Homebrew Launcher and press Select+Start to go back to the HOME menu.
Just choose another theme in the theme selector thing on the HOME menu.
You have to install it as a .CIA, which is impossible on the latest firmware and with Ninjhax 2.0/TubeHax/IronHax.

Princess Emily

Smiles innocently...
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
What's the difference between "Enable persistent theme cache" & "Enable normal theme cache"? Because in the tutorial vid, his extdatatool only has "Enable theme cache"... but I chose "Enable normal theme cache" anyway because I thought that's default.

Also I'm confused... you said "scroll down to 'Copy theme data from sd card to extdata' and then 'Enable persistent theme cache'"... but in the tutorial video, 'Copy theme data from sd card to extdata' was last to press. Or do I have to press them in any order?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I'm kinda lost, and don't want to accidentally brick my 3ds if the order is wrong, etc...

D

Deleted User

What's the difference between "Enable persistent theme cache" & "Enable normal theme cache"? Because in the tutorial vid, his extdatatool only has "Enable theme cache"... but I chose "Enable normal theme cache" anyway because I thought that's default.

Also I'm confused... you said "scroll down to 'Copy theme data from sd card to extdata' and then 'Enable persistent theme cache'"... but in the tutorial video, 'Copy theme data from sd card to extdata' was last to press. Or do I have to press them in any order?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I'm kinda lost, and don't want to accidentally brick my 3ds if the order is wrong, etc...
For me, persistent theme cache is the only one that works, which is why I just suggest using it, you can probably use the other option if you want, though.
You can do it in any order, actually! I just do it in that order, so I usually type it out in that order.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to brick your 3DS when doing stuff with custom themes.

Princess Emily

Smiles innocently...
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
For me, persistent theme cache is the only one that works, which is why I just suggest using it, you can probably use the other option if you want, though.
You can do it in any order, actually! I just do it in that order, so I usually type it out in that order.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to brick your 3DS when doing stuff with custom themes.

Ah I see.

BTW there's another member here though who've figured out how to get the custom themes in a pack. Member's name is Reisyukaku: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-make-a-custom-3ds-theme.377533/#post-5242620

I dunno how he/she did it (another user asked him/her how to put them to CIA, but no replies)... maybe he/she is using an un-updated 3ds?

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France

I have "bricked" my 3DS while playing with themes !
I don't know how, but one of my theme was corrupted. It could be opened by YATA, but one image wasn't the right size (border images, you didn't say what size they have to be) and the theme was succesfully installed, but 3DS WON'T boot ! If I remove the SD card, it will load the default theme and boot, but when I replug my SD card, hop, 3DS don't boot! To solve that I took another SD card, let the 3DS save the default theme on it, put both on my computer and copy the files to my original SD card :) I only lost my icon arrangement :) )

Sorry for my English, it must be annoying to read me u_u

D

Deleted User

I have "bricked" my 3DS while playing with themes !
I don't know how, but one of my theme was corrupted. It could be opened by YATA, but one image wasn't the right size (border images, you didn't say what size they have to be) and the theme was succesfully installed, but 3DS WON'T boot ! If I remove the SD card, it will load the default theme and boot, but when I replug my SD card, hop, 3DS don't boot! To solve that I took another SD card, let the 3DS save the default theme on it, put both on my computer and copy the files to my original SD card :) I only lost my icon arrangement :) )

Sorry for my English, it must be annoying to read me u_u
That's technically not a brick, though. You just have to boot the 3DS, then insert your SD card, then choose another theme in the theme selector thing on the HOME menu and it should be fixed.

Your English is better than my French though.

Princess Emily

Smiles innocently...
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
So how did Reisyukaku managed to do it? (I thought I have a reply to my question as I have an alert but it seems it's a reply to somebody else's question).

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
That's technically not a brick, though. You just have to boot the 3DS, then insert your SD card, then choose another theme in the theme selector thing on the HOME menu and it should be fixed.

Your English is better than my French though.

No, I couldn't. Theme menu was not accessible without SD card, and if I put my SD card in it, it won't boot :/
And I know it's not a brick, but someone else maybe couldn't know what to do and have a 3DS which doesn't boot :/

D

Deleted User

So how did Reisyukaku managed to do it? (I thought I have a reply to my question as I have an alert but it seems it's a reply to somebody else's question).
I guess it was because the theme was corrupted to the point that his 3DS couldn't load it properly.
No, I couldn't. Theme menu was not accessible without SD card, and if I put my SD card in it, it won't boot :/
And I know it's not a brick, but someone else maybe couldn't know what to do and have a 3DS which doesn't boot :/
I mean boot the 3DS with the SD card out, then put the SD card in, then access the theme menu.

D

Deleted User

Oh, I mean how did he make custom theme packs? I think we got confused with all the questions? :o
From reading his post, I don't think he actually made a theme package, I think he may have just loaded it with the extdata tool or Custom Home Menu Manager.
The theme doesn't need to be in a package to be loaded correctly, it just has to be the LZ_body.bin file and the bgm.bcstm file.
EDIT: I don't know for sure, now I'm getting confused lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7LwaU1xMw