Could someone translate a few lines into french?

LysergCooltyp

I don't know why the microwave burns
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey there,

i have to visit Paris for a couple of days during a buisness trip. Sleeping during classes is backfiring now, since google translator would prolly do a better job at translating stuff than me. However i'm not trusting that abomination much, so could someone translate the following lines for me?

• When is the check in possible?
  • Can i store some bags beforehand?
  • At which time can i store my luggage?
  • For how long can it be stored?
Thanks in Advance. Have a nice day!

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Hey there,

i have to visit Paris for a couple of days during a buisness trip. Sleeping during classes is backfiring now, since google translator would prolly do a better job at translating stuff than me. However i'm not trusting that abomination much, so could someone translate the following lines for me?

• Quand est-ce que l'enregistrement sera possible?
  • Puis-je stocker quelques sacs à l'avance?
  • À quel moment puis-je stocker mes bagages?
  • Pour combien de temps cela peut être stocké?
Thanks in Advance. Have a nice day!
Here is it :) You can trust me, French is my native language :P

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Um. What difference does it make if you can say the lines in French if you won't understand anything beyond a very simple answer given back to you?

Reactions: Depravo

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Um. What difference does it make if you can say the lines in French if you won't understand anything beyond a very simple answer given back to you?

I guess he haven't thought about it xD

I'm curious to know xD

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
You'd probably be better off trying at English. More French people know English than you might expect, and especially those that work at places like hotels and airports where there are tourists going in and out likely have a pretty good grasp on English. Honestly, English will probably serve you better than French lines you'll most likely butcher in terms of pronunciation anyways.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hm, I agree. Asking in French would assume the person you are speaking to that the language is frequent in your life, so he would continue to speak in French. As a result, it would be awkward when you're mum as he does so.

Reactions: VinsCool

LysergCooltyp

I don't know why the microwave burns
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I intend to ask in english first, however in case the person doesn't understand me, i want a backup plan. Being able to tell him in french what i want will allow him to write down times for example which will lead to an easier conversation.

Here is it :) You can trust me, French is my native language :P
Thanks, much appreciated!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I wouldn't use the verb "stocker" for baggages. it's better "déposer"
bags or luggage could be said "stuffs" too.

Puis-je déposer mes sacs à l'avance?
À quel moment puis-je déposer mes bagages? (or maybe better, more "every day talk" : Quand pourrais-je laisser mes affaires?)
vous les gardez combien de temps? (how long do you keep them?) they probably keep them as long as there's someone physically at the hotel's reception, so look for any reception time range information

Note that France French and Canadian French are not always using the same words.
it's not a mistake, just not usual.

fall in love :
in france : tomber amoureux
in quebec: tomber en amour <-- nobody would say that in france.

In france the verb "Stocker" is more used when you are placing something in a place for a very long time (days or months or more). Not temporarily.
I don't know if quebec is using it more often for every day use as "deposit" verb.

you could also use the verb leave instead of deposit.
Puis-je laisser mes affaires avant d'avoir la chambre ? (can I leave my bags before getting the room?)
Je pourrais laisser mes affaires avant d'avoir la chambre ? (I will be allowed to leave my bags before getting the room?). That may look awkward, but this form is less formal and more used for every day speaking.

I think it's better to specify "before getting the room" if it's what you want to ask. leaving your bags the morning for example, but the room can only be accessed the afternoon. so you ask if you can leave them at the reception before getting the room.

For the second sentense: "À quel moment puis-je déposer mes bagages?" could become
"Quand puis-je les laisser?" (when can I leave them?) (no need to repeat the luggage/bags/stuff word, we now know we are talking about "them").
or "je peux les laisser à partir de quelle heure?" (I can leave them at which time?)

You can probably leave them to the reception at opening hours (8-9h?), when there's someone there. look at the opening hour range.

For the first one: the time you can go to the room. (if the hotel is registering before you can access it)
La chambre est libre à quelle heure? (unformal form) (the room is free at which time?)
A quelle heure la chambre est-elle libre? (formal) (Which time the room is free?)

French (and probably a lot of languages) have many ways to tell the same thing. Different words or sentence formation. "I can go?" "can I go?" "may I go?" etc. lot of nuances.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I wouldn't use the verb "stocker" for baggages. it's better "déposer"
bags or luggage could be said "stuffs" too.

Puis-je déposer mes sacs à l'avance?
À quel moment puis-je déposer mes bagages? (or maybe better, more "every day talk" : Quand pourrais-je laisser mes affaires?)
vous les gardez combien de temps? (how long do you keep them?) they probably keep them as long as there's someone physically at the hotel's reception, so look for any reception time range information

Note that France French and Canadian French are not always using the same words.
it's not a mistake, just not usual.

fall in love :
in france : tomber amoureux
in quebec: tomber en amour <-- nobody would say that in france.

In france the verb "Stocker" is more used when you are placing something in a place for a very long time (days or months or more). Not temporarily.
I don't know if quebec is using it more often for every day use as "deposit" verb.

you could also use the verb leave instead of deposit.
Puis-je laisser mes affaires avant d'avoir la chambre ? (can I leave my bags before getting the room?)
Je pourrais laisser mes affaires avant d'avoir la chambre ? (I will be allowed to leave my bags before getting the room?). That may look awkward, but this form is less formal and more used for every day speaking.

I think it's better to specify "before getting the room" if it's what you want to ask. leaving your bags the morning for example, but the room can only be accessed the afternoon. so you ask if you can leave them at the reception before getting the room.

For the second sentense: "À quel moment puis-je déposer mes bagages?" could become
"Quand puis-je les laisser?" (when can I leave them?) (no need to repeat the luggage/bags/stuff word, we now know we are talking about "them").
or "je peux les laisser à partir de quelle heure?" (I can leave them at which time?)

You can probably leave them to the reception at opening hours (8-9h?), when there's someone there. look at the opening hour range.

For the first one: the time you can go to the room. (if the hotel is registering before you can access it)
La chambre est libre à quelle heure? (unformal form) (the room is free at which time?)
A quelle heure la chambre est-elle libre? (formal) (Which time the room is free?)

French (and probably a lot of languages) have many ways to tell the same thing. Different words or sentence formation. "I can go?" "can I go?" "may I go?" etc. lot of nuances.
ahaha and now I feel that my local variant of french is wrong xD thanks gor clarifications :)

Amadren

Pasta Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you want to speak in France you'll HAVE to at least try saying some little words. A lot of people will just simply ignore you if you don't make any efforts and speak only in english.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
If you want to speak in France you'll HAVE to at least try saying some little words. A lot of people will just simply ignore you if you don't make any efforts and speak only in english.
Even if he tries really hard? :( Poor tourists lol

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
People working in tourism or culture (hotel, museum, etc.) will probably be used to english, but a lot of (adult) people don't speak english. Younger are maybe more used to it, learning at school, traveling, internet, etc.
I think people understand and like strangers making the effort to speak french.
But tourists, I don't know. If you don't know the language at all, just try what you can (english, gestures, etc.), and remember to be polite.

Saying please and thank you will make people happy. A lot of people forgot what politeness is :(

bonjour (hello, hi, good morning, good afternoon)
s'il vous plait (please)
excusez-moi (excuse me)
merci (thank you)

4 words ;)

ask "do you speak english?" first and see the answer. You'll probably get "a little" as answer. speak slowly and it should be fine.

Amadren

Pasta Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Even if he tries really hard? :( Poor tourists lol
Yup, especially if he visits Paris. But if he follows @Cyan instructions then everything would be ok

EDIT:

And: Do you speak english? -> "Parlez-vous anglais?"
Also there's a growing up number of people that can speak German. You can also try German if they don't speak english.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ah, I didn't know german was a growing language.
it probably depend the region or town.

to my town it's french, italian, english.
we have a lot of Portuguese and Romanian people too, but they learn French pretty easily and fast.

Italian on the contrary don't make the effort, they speak italian without asking if you do even if they know French
French people are probably not better, they are very bad at learning new language and always hope the others will make the effort.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Yep, in every big towns there's a lot of German speakers.

In my town it's just French and Arabic hehe (I live in "banlieue" :X).
In my place, there is an incrasing amount of people speaking english, and lesser speaking french :(
I may get used to it :lol:

Reactions: Amadren

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock