Hacking Could hacking my Wii U be the source of my issues?

ilikepie641

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I unplugged my system after realizing that unplugging it was my only option
My system is back to it's normal state
Guess I'll never be able to update it then

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What method did you use to attempt to remove your vWii mods? Also did you ever install any CIO's at all (for use with usb loaders etc)? If so this could actually be the reason for your update woes. I've had this happen to me before and I've seen others complain about the same thing here on GBAtemp. If you ever installed any CIO's that happened to become corrupted (or you accidentally installed one or more that were designed for the physical wii console, as opposed to the vWii), this can cause an issue updating.

I honestly don't know why as the vWii is completely seperate from WiiU mode, but i'm not the only one who's had these issues updating. It happened to me when i first went to softmod my vWii, I accidentally installed outdated CIO's (intended for use with an actual wii), and i had to use the same installer to uninstall each one. I believe i had some corruption issues as well, but from that point on it was fine. I uninstalled them and then reinstalled the appropriate ones for the vWii and the updates worked fine again.

As for your freezing and other issues, i'm not sure. But hopefully, you can get the official update to run, and this "should" take care of the issues you're having. To me personally, it sounds like a software issue. Once you get the official update on there, it should eradicate the update you have on there now (which sounds like it may be corrupted or something).

If the CIOS method I mentioned above doesn't apply to your situation, I suggest, unplugging the WiiU (again) and just leaving it unplugged over night (overkill, but hey why not, can't be too careful ;) :P) so it clears out completely (RAM etc). Normally to clear out the RAM only takes 3-5 minutes without power (technically), but if you're going to be sleeping anyways, why not? lol, its not like you're going to be using it :P. Then plug it back in and try updating again.

If none of the above works, you could try using the format option in the system settings, however this will NOT remove any CIOS's or other firmware mods you've done to your vWii. However it will wipe out ANY and ALL other channels and software and save you have on your console (both Wii U mode and vWii mode). While the eshop etc lets you redownload what you've purchased at no extra charge, there's no way of knowing if you'll even be able to get back into the eshop etc to redownload it. I suggest only using the format option as a last resort for this very reason!

mutinize

dazed and confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've called Nintendo support a few times and one of them suggested that my vWii hacking could be the source of my issues
Well of course they said that. If you call Apple support and tell them you're having issues with your jailbroken iPhone they would be reluctant to help too.

If you can get your controllers to sync in vWii, you should try going into safe mode and doing a sys check like mentioned above.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

ilikepie641

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What method did you use to attempt to remove your vWii mods? Also did you ever install any CIO's at all (for use with usb loaders etc)? If so this could actually be the reason for your update woes. I've had this happen to me before and I've seen others complain about the same thing here on GBAtemp. If you ever installed any CIO's that happened to become corrupted (or you accidentally installed one or more that were designed for the physical wii console, as opposed to the vWii), this can cause an issue updating.

I honestly don't know why as the vWii is completely seperate from WiiU mode, but i'm not the only one who's had these issues updating. It happened to me when i first went to softmod my vWii, I accidentally installed outdated CIO's (intended for use with an actual wii), and i had to use the same installer to uninstall each one. I believe i had some corruption issues as well, but from that point on it was fine. I uninstalled them and then reinstalled the appropriate ones for the vWii and the updates worked fine again.

As for your freezing and other issues, i'm not sure. But hopefully, you can get the official update to run, and this "should" take care of the issues you're having. To me personally, it sounds like a software issue. Once you get the official update on there, it should eradicate the update you have on there now (which sounds like it may be corrupted or something).

If the CIOS method I mentioned above doesn't apply to your situation, I suggest, unplugging the WiiU (again) and just leaving it unplugged over night (overkill, but hey why not, can't be too careful ;) :P) so it clears out completely (RAM etc). Normally to clear out the RAM only takes 3-5 minutes without power (technically), but if you're going to be sleeping anyways, why not? lol, its not like you're going to be using it :P. Then plug it back in and try updating again.

If none of the above works, you could try using the format option in the system settings, however this will NOT remove any CIOS's or other firmware mods you've done to your vWii. However it will wipe out ANY and ALL other channels and software and save you have on your console (both Wii U mode and vWii mode). While the eshop etc lets you redownload what you've purchased at no extra charge, there's no way of knowing if you'll even be able to get back into the eshop etc to redownload it. I suggest only using the format option as a last resort for this very reason!

This seems to be the tutorial I followed to hack my Wii U if I remember correctly
What sucks is since my Wii U rarely syncs controllers I can't get into vWii mode

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This seems to be the tutorial I followed to hack my Wii U if I remember correctly
What sucks is since my Wii U rarely syncs controllers I can't get into vWii mode

I know it sounds stupid but have you tried using the sync buttons, one on the wii mote and one on the wii u? You have to hit them simultaneously

ilikepie641

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it sounds stupid but have you tried using the sync buttons, one on the wii mote and one on the wii u? You have to hit them simultaneously
No matter what I do the controllers will not sync
They sync on a rare occasion, but once I spent an hour turning the system off and on hoping that they would sync once, and I got nothing.

ilikepie641

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright so I had my system off while watching E3 and I booted it up again
It once again tried to install the update but it is stuck at 1%
Ugh this is the 2nd time it has done this

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No matter what I do the controllers will not sync
They sync on a rare occasion, but once I spent an hour turning the system off and on hoping that they would sync once, and I got nothing.
Have you tried pressing the home button on the gamepad, there you will be presented with an option to sync controllers.

Also, I don't know why you had to extract any IOS wads to install a cIOS. The d2x cIOS installer that FIX94 modded doesn't require any wad files to be present on the SD card. If you think the cIOS could be the problem then why not try to re-install the cIOS using the d2x cIOS installer that FIX94 released. Somehow I don't think the cIOS is the problem.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this will help at all, but a while ago I thought Netflix was just going to hell on my Wii-U.

I say going to hell because it was pitiful to use and every other device I had with Netflix was faster.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I was so pissed off I deleted Netflix and re-installed it.

Night and day difference, no crashes no stalls everything loads like lightning.

Maybe something in your system's main menu is glitched and when it loads the icon it's fudging it up?

I would uninstall everything I could get my fingers on and re-install from the shop.

*This might not help or it might fix everything, it worked for me but as always your mileage may vary.

ilikepie641

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this will help at all, but a while ago I thought Netflix was just going to hell on my Wii-U.

I say going to hell because it was pitiful to use and every other device I had with Netflix was faster.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I was so pissed off I deleted Netflix and re-installed it.

Night and day difference, no crashes no stalls everything loads like lightning.

Maybe something in your system's main menu is glitched and when it loads the icon it's fudging it up?

I would uninstall everything I could get my fingers on and re-install from the shop.

*This might not help or it might fix everything, it worked for me but as always your mileage may vary.
I'd have to be careful with what I uninstall, the eShop won't load so there would be no way to reinstall

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried pressing the home button on the gamepad, there you will be presented with an option to sync controllers.

Also, I don't know why you had to extract any IOS wads to install a cIOS. The d2x cIOS installer that FIX94 modded doesn't require any wad files to be present on the SD card. If you think the cIOS could be the problem then why not try to re-install the cIOS using the d2x cIOS installer that FIX94 released. Somehow I don't think the cIOS is the problem.

You have to extract the ios wad files to patch them correctly when installing them on the vWii. Reason being, many memory addresses differ from a physical wii and the Virtual Wii that comes on a Wii U. Perhaps, Fix94's version of the d2x cIOS installer compensates for these differences, but I know when I softmodded my vWii i had to extract the individual ios wads to patch them for the the cIOS installation. This is the method that ilikepie641 used evidently.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But these issues started with an update

Are you sure the problems started with an update?

I know a bad bt module or wifi modules in a regular wii can be blamed for a few different problems. Who knows what kind of problems a Wii U might have. You haven't given your wii u a bad bump or dropped it or something like that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-