Status
Not open for further replies.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would actually kind of be cool if this were the case, as fucked up as it is to say. And believe me I do feel bad for all of you that have been bricked, and I don't trust Gateway at all after all of this. But, what if Nintendo created an off the records secret team to create a flash cart before the pirates do. Nintendo could see that 3DS hacking was moving along and it was only a matter of time before someone legitimately did what Gateway did. Seeing how much their DS and Wii suffered from flashcarts and softmodding, Nintendo decided to get offensive against the pirates instead of always having to be on the defense. By being the first card on the Market, Nintendo could release the Gateway to all the pirates and make it seem totally legit by letting it all run smoothly for many months. Then, once the clones came, it felt like the time to start attacking. Now, we don't know if every gateway cart will cause a brick now or at some point in the future, but you can't even use it or any other cart (At least right now) without feeling doubt and extreme caution. Effectively stopping many who own Gateway from even using Gateway. In other words, if this were some elaborate plan from Nintendo, it could effectively have turned some pirates back to legit copy users only. For how ridiculous the idea is, it really wouldn't be the worst idea to fight piracy on your systems, so long as it could never actually be traced back to Nintendo.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
It would actually kind of be cool if this were the case, as fucked up as it is to say. And believe me I do feel bad for all of you that have been bricked, and I don't trust Gateway at all after all of this. But, what if Nintendo created an off the records secret team to create a flash cart before the pirates do. Nintendo could see that 3DS hacking was moving along and it was only a matter of time before someone legitimately did what Gateway did. Seeing how much their DS and Wii suffered from flashcarts and softmodding, Nintendo decided to get offensive against the pirates instead of always having to be on the defense. By being the first card on the Market, Nintendo could release the Gateway to all the pirates and make it seem totally legit by letting it all run smoothly for many months. Then, once the clones came, it felt like the time to start attacking. Now, we don't know if every gateway cart will cause a brick now or at some point in the future, but you can't even use it or any other cart (At least right now) without feeling doubt and extreme caution. Effectively stopping many who own Gateway from even using Gateway. In other words, if this were some elaborate plan from Nintendo, it could effectively have turned some pirates back to legit copy users only. For how ridiculous the idea is, it really wouldn't be the worst idea to fight piracy on your systems, so long as it could never actually be traced back to Nintendo.
Umm... What?

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is what really happened, then Nintendo is promoting piracy. All Gateway is doing is trying to eliminate competition, like a normal company.

/close thread

How? If Nintendo saw the 3DS was about to be hacked, they were only beating the pirates to the punch, and then punishing all the pirates that actually bought the product. That doesn't really feel like promotions of piracy.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is what really happened, then Nintendo is promoting piracy. All Gateway is doing is trying to eliminate competition, like a normal company.

/close thread
There are better ways to eliminate competition without them being sore losers ;) Making legit customers suffer (such as the case with Devin, who review the GW3DS for the GW team), is just downright asinine.

Seeing how much their DS and Wii suffered from flashcarts and softmodding, Nintendo decided to get offensive against the pirates instead of always having to be on the defense.

O RLY? Dude, that's bullshit, neither console suffered from piracy and both sold remarkably well.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm... What?

2 of the biggest victims of hacks for video game systems ever. I love homebrew and whatnot on the Wii. but the Wii is incredibly easy to hack, anyone can do it right out of the box. So what's the confusion?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 of the biggest victims of hacks for video game systems ever. I love homebrew and whatnot on the Wii. but the Wii is incredibly easy to hack, anyone can do it right out of the box. So what's the confusion?

They didn't suffer from piracy, they were very successful in terms of sales. Stop spreading BS.

Wii sold 100,000,000
DS sold 150,000,000

Care to explain?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
But they could surely just sign a loader that works on legit consoles with added bomb....point is they probably don't care too much.....it's not like the DS where there was no stopping them, the truth is this was patched before it was ever released and so far everyone who has made a flash card has copied gateway....all they would of achieved is showing the hackers how to do it themselves.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They didn't suffer from piracy, they were very successful in terms of sales. Stop spreading BS.

Wow way to misunderstand my point. Any dollar lost to piracy is a dollar lost for the company. Nintendo was very successful, but no denying that without the piracy they would have been MORE successful, no one likes to see money they should have disappear/not arrive.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
some how this is turning into a mad nutter talking about Conspiracy Theory to Gateway Vs Clones thread............. again.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being easy to hack did not hurt it.
If Wii was unhackable I would not buy it.

I can personally say that because of hacks, Nintendo lost out on at least 300 to 400 dollars from me on games I would have definitely bought if I didn't have to.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow way to misunderstand my point. Any dollar lost to piracy is a dollar lost for the company. Nintendo was very successful, but no denying that without the piracy they would have been MORE successful, no one likes to see money they should have disappear/not arrive.

Could woulda shoulda. Pointing it out now won't change a damn thing that happened in the past, just saying. Piracy is rampant, it cannot be stopped and it will continue to exist irrespective of what people try to do.

Please read this, piracy isn't as much as a sales deterrent as people think
http://gbatemp.net/threads/piracy-common-myths.344858/

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could woulda shoulda. Pointing it out now won't change a damn thing that happened in the past, just saying. Piracy is rampant, it cannot be stopped and it will continue to exist irrespective of what people try to do.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/piracy-common-myths.344858/

Yes, but if a company did this to combat piracy, I would think it would be a little more effective than just sitting idly by and letting the pirates do what they do. And I'm not saying it would change anything in the past. I'm just saying Nintendo is very aware of the piracy on their last two consoles, and it would make sense for them to take a different approach to the pirates this year. Of course I can't imagine them doing something this elaborate, I think it would be cool though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: :(