Confirmed Nintendo Switch is using stock Nvidia Tegra X1, no modifications.

All is confirmed the Nintendo Switch is powered by stock Nvidia Tegra X1, same chipset used in Shield TV. The most surprising is the retention of 4 Cortex A53 processor cores, which have no use in the Nintendo switch as they can't be operated at the same time when Cortex A57 cores are running due to the ARM big.little configuration setup.

main-unit-6.jpg

Nvidia-T210.jpg

After subsequent processing of the GPU from the Nintendo Switch, we have determined that the processor is the Nvidia Tegra T210. The T210 CPU features 4 Cortex A57 and 4 Cortex A53 processor cores and the GPU is a GM20B Maxell core.

http://techinsights.com/about-techinsights/overview/blog/nintendo-switch-teardown/

Nvidia Tegra X1 features
  • 8 core CPU (4 x Cortex A57 and 4 x Cortex A53)
  • GPU is a GM20B Maxell core

A comparison to Shield TV. Switch specs on the left, and Shield TV on the right. The clock speeds are reported from Eurogamer, which are very much true.

• RAM: 4GB vs 3GB
  • CPU: 1Ghz vs. 2Ghz
  • GPU: 3 modes:307.2Mhz/384Mhz/768Mhz vs 1Ghz

Shield TV is clocked higher initially in both CPU and GPU, but don't forget Shield TV can't keep these clock speeds up for long, it throttles down to the exact switch's dock clockspeeds. Which further supports a stock X1.

Last edited by heartgold,
D

Deleted User

In terms of actual performance Switch ends up being slightly more powerful than Wii U even in portable mode. Granted, that speaks more to how weak Wii U was than how powerful X1 is, but it's still impressive to make a portable perform at around the same level as a PS3. While docked Switch is at least 2x more powerful than Wii U.

And no offense, but if you write "gaming" on a ripped piece of paper and put it up for sale in Australia, MSRP would be $500 AUD for that too.
Our prices are pretty fucked you're right (not Brazilian tier but we're getting there) but at least for me it's a general price point area to place it. The PS4 was just slightly more expensive on release if that gives you a picture.

I'd say it's better than a Wii U on a good day, there's more to power than just clock speeds. If it's optimised to hell and back sure, but Tegra processors are shithouse and should be left for the Android market. I've been critical on The Switch (out of love) but it just keeps getting worse the longer its released. I'm exaggerating a lot of the issues sure, I mean I'm some dickhead on a forum, but there are actual respectable people from the gaming community having similar worries and prophecies fates similar to the Wii U.

Either way always form your own opinion take in info from both sides never be a dr0ne

Last edited by ,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
there are actual respectable people from the gaming community having similar worries and prophecies fates similar to the Wii U.
The Wii U had two major problems: bad marketing and an unappealing hook. Switch's marketing has been on point thus far, nobody is confusing it with a peripheral for another Nintendo system. Its hook is also far more appealing IMO, better to consolidate screens rather than add additional ones for seemingly no reason. If the Wii U gamepad was the entire console and you docked it to run on your TV, sales would've been far better I think.

the ps3 is over 10 years old now, its really not that impressive anymore
As a portable it is, especially a portable starting at $300 when PS3's launch price was $600. While docked Switch is considerably more powerful than a PS3, of course. We're at the point of diminishing returns graphically anyway. PS3 to PS4 was not nearly as impressive a leap as PS2 to PS3 was.

Last edited by Xzi,

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U had two major problems: bad marketing and an unappealing hook. Switch's marketing has been on point thus far, nobody is confusing it with a peripheral for another Nintendo system. Its hook is also far more appealing IMO, better to consolidate screens rather than add additional ones for seemingly no reason. If the Wii U gamepad was the entire console and you docked it to run on your TV, sales would've been far better I think.

As a portable it is, especially a portable starting at $300 when PS3's launch price was $600. While docked Switch is considerably more powerful than a PS3, of course.
I can't remember the specs of Ps3 exactly but even not docked it's still more power. Anyways as for the Wii u, u r definitely on point. I don't know many people that actually knew the Wii u was a new system, everyone not very knowledgeable in gaming compared to the the udraw tablet or something. They assumed it was a tablet controller for the Wii. The Wii u's name was ridiculous also, they could have called it anything else and it would have been better. Even though it flopped I actually did enjoy it quite a bit and don't regret buying one.

Reactions: Xzi

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
All the moaning and bitching about performance power does not make a game(s) great experience imo.. It's not all about fancy graphics, blah, blah.

So what, it's got some teething issues? what device hasn't at launch? Personally, I think it's a great little system so far.

Playing Zelda at work on breaks and then carrying on were I left off at home on my TV is awesome and I couldn't care less with what it can and cannot do in comparison to other systems on the market and I have my PS4, XB1 and PC too for other stuff if need be.

I appreciate for what it is and excited to see what Nintendo and other devs are going do with it later down the line with newer titles.

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
To be fair, the dolphin builds for android is nothing compared to the official build from about a year ago. 5,0 i think? I been downloading nightly builds over and over, sonic adventure 2 still can't play at full speed. IS nothing impressive, i haven't try wii games cause if gamecube can't get 60 FPS no way wii can, maybe wii ware but can't find out how to get a wad file from my wii console to try one. Is just not as much progress as the pc emulators. IF this tegra x1 is supposed to be better than ps3 and xbox 360 or even wii u (Which uses nindendon't) To be honest not quite sure how that homebrew works on wii or wii with no official GC compatibility. But as of now, i don't have much hope for dolphin on android unless a new tegra system is made, same for the dreamcast emulator which again not all problems is based on the hardware, is the emulation programming as well. Playstation is probably flawless, epsxe is great on this system. Saturn is getting better to my surprise, but dreamcast and gamecube/wii isn't seeing much progress, even ppsspp is getting some leadway. Too bad if the switch had a rear touch pad, it could maybe been a good ps vita emulator, but if one ever gets made, we be stuck with that dumb analog type thing from psvita tv has with the touch screen emulation :)
What's your computer's specs?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's your computer's specs?
Umm well i haven't used dophin on my pc since is kinda unable to be used. The fan has issues being consistent so i can't use it for playing games like i want. It is out dated and i been meaning to get it repaired or just replaced. But for the record it sucks in today standards. Intel I7 quad duo 8 Seperate cores Radeon HD graphics, (Which is rendered useless by the intel HD driver) 8GB ram and i dunno if anything else worth mentioning if is just related to dolphin.:unsure:

Trophies
XP
Country
personally I'm not a huge fan of specs or think they matter but in this case i really wanted gamecube VC emulation because theres many games I missed and want to play and purchase legitimately from Nintendo on the Switch and if the X1 is the reason the console might tno be able to do that then I am a little dissapointed. Sorry for being so mad at you @netovsk but today I'm not in the gretaest of moods with this new information of the switch specs and your constant bashing of a decent console.

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im sick of your constant bs against the ps4 and including every and any game released on the wiiu to make list wars. I love my wiiu but stop using every reason to bash on the ps4 because: yeah the wiiU had BC and that is honestly great but the wiiU had an entire year lead in the race in the west and a 2 year head start in Japan the most important place of all. So taking int those 2 years game are take longer to get make for the ps4 and also because it's not a glorified fukin gamecube. At the same time results of the labor is some PS4 games that are sometimes 5x the length of an average wiiU game and make plenty of those games you mentioned look like a friggin joke.

just because u don't know those games or enjoy them or even like sony first party video game doesn't mean it doesn't exist and they havent been making games for it and supporting it because they have, for every mediocre shit you incude in your list war you can say it for the PS4 too and good games too. I like my wiiU but you need to learn to accept it faults without mentioning the ps4 and be realistic about the wiiU because it was kind of a shitty console that literaly had a 4 year lifespan, in 4 years the ps4 for me got an equally amount of good games if not more only the journey doesn't end there and will keep going to shut the hell up okay?!

You're dealing with a man who gets infuriated at someone giving BotW a 7/10, and flat out seething when BotW's metascore gets reduced to 97/100 instead of 98 because of that score. He also takes every chance to bash notably the sony consoles, even when the person he's replying to isn't even mentioning it. To him, selling 14 million units out of the expected 100 million units and even Nintendo themselves admitting they did poorly with the WiiU, is not a disaster. That's beyond zealotry.

Back on topic, these specs essentially mean we can expect no third party AAA game for a good long while. Like Foxi says, the future may be bleak for the switch but if Nintendo can keep putting out a great number of first party titles to make up for the lack of third party games, then we can make it in the long run and possibly draw attention from the third party developers.

Gurumeditation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Nintendo really need to come out and clarify now before devs are driven away.

The Devs know what the hardware of the switch can do. All big players have since a long time the switch devkits in use. Holy moly.

Oh because Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 ... its only a bad port to make easy and fast money. The "big" consoles conceal it with their raw power.
I can tell you as dev, you can create (for example with the unity engine) same games with an nicer grafic like DQH and they run very smooth on devices how have a lower power like an nintendo switch.

In my opinon square enix is negligent by this game. The could use a better engine and development enviroment.

A please at all. Calm down. The future brings better optimated games.

PS: Sorry for my english :) it will be improve in the future.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Back on topic, these specs essentially mean we can expect no third party AAA game for a good long while. Like Foxi says, the future may be bleak for the switch but if Nintendo can keep putting out a great number of first party titles to make up for the lack of third party games, then we can make it in the long run and possibly draw attention from the third party developers.
They need to flex every muscle and have every single Dev churning out code for games 24/7 so that they have around 10 titles to announce *by E3 time*, and that's first-party alone - to me that means the 3DS needs to commit seppuku, which I'm okay with - it's an old system that had a good run. They *can* pull this off, but it won't be easy. They need to connect with 3DS users and sell them on the idea of the Switch being "the new portable", that's their most dedicated audience. Step 2, if the Switch doesn't sink, is an ultra-portable and affordable version of the system with a smaller screen, so that it fits in your pocket nicely without compromising the docking capabilities. The Joycon Slim could use sliders, it's a simple rework.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol