Confirmed Nintendo Switch is using stock Nvidia Tegra X1, no modifications.

All is confirmed the Nintendo Switch is powered by stock Nvidia Tegra X1, same chipset used in Shield TV. The most surprising is the retention of 4 Cortex A53 processor cores, which have no use in the Nintendo switch as they can't be operated at the same time when Cortex A57 cores are running due to the ARM big.little configuration setup.

main-unit-6.jpg

Nvidia-T210.jpg

After subsequent processing of the GPU from the Nintendo Switch, we have determined that the processor is the Nvidia Tegra T210. The T210 CPU features 4 Cortex A57 and 4 Cortex A53 processor cores and the GPU is a GM20B Maxell core.

http://techinsights.com/about-techinsights/overview/blog/nintendo-switch-teardown/

Nvidia Tegra X1 features
  • 8 core CPU (4 x Cortex A57 and 4 x Cortex A53)
  • GPU is a GM20B Maxell core

A comparison to Shield TV. Switch specs on the left, and Shield TV on the right. The clock speeds are reported from Eurogamer, which are very much true.

• RAM: 4GB vs 3GB
  • CPU: 1Ghz vs. 2Ghz
  • GPU: 3 modes:307.2Mhz/384Mhz/768Mhz vs 1Ghz

Shield TV is clocked higher initially in both CPU and GPU, but don't forget Shield TV can't keep these clock speeds up for long, it throttles down to the exact switch's dock clockspeeds. Which further supports a stock X1.

Last edited by heartgold,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You mean a dead format. They may not have been proprietary back then but they sure as hell weren't popular, never had to use one before or after the PSP, good riddance. I'm glad SD won that war.
So am I, which is why I used an MSPD to 2x SD adapter. It was just a better format, I never said it wasn't. What I said was that 32GB might've been sufficient for the PSP, but for the Switch it's a bit scarce, nothing more, nothing less.
It's a bizarre capacity, I had no idea those even existed, 256GB seems to be the standard past the 128GB mark, which makes sense.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somebody call me when all the console war bull shit ends and this thing gets Android. I'm trying to be a "one box per TV" kinda guy so yeah... I require more from my consoles than just games. Hell, if there was a decent Android emulator for PC I'd get rid of my Fire TV.

its not even a console war, its simply pointing out how far behind nintendo are, releasing old tech at a price higher than its competition that has better hardware.

hardware is important when it comes to wanting third party support, and its hardware is the reason why nintendo do not get the AAA titles third parties release.

all nintendo care about it how they can tell the world that its games are now only fun using its new bs controller.

i dont get why the fanboys seem to have such a hard time and refuse to admit this, its like they cant accept anything negative.

so saying that, they are ok not getting great AAA third party titles until nintendo catch up and it gets ported years later?

honest question (not that i liked it), but who enjoyed Resident Evil 7?

Now whats wrong with having the option to play that on the switch?

or any other title that the switch won't get due to the cost involved trying to port it, rather than a direct port?

End of the day there is no reason why nintendo cant release a system that has the hardware and include its BS gimmick controllers.

If they did this, say the switch's hardware pissed all over the PS4/XBX1 and it had this BS controller, it would easily be a success, not only does it grab those interested in its BS controller, it caters for those that want the games it could now get and at the same time it will get its loyal fans.

that is the problem, but here is my thoughts, its hardware is already lacking and its nintendo's next gen console, so what happens when sony/ms release their next gen systems........

if the switch doesnt get its claws secure in the market, it has little hope come the next gen, it does feel like the wii u again.

but hey ho, alot of the fans were just the same as they are now but with the wii u....... and we know how that ended up and why.

Last edited by ,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing Nintendo has done for quite a few generations, is give the market something that does not already exist. Who needs a 3rd version of what's already there?
yet it has given people what DOES already exsist.

nintendo did not invent this idea, there are already tablets on the market that does exactly this.

all nintendo have done is taken this idea and used it for its console, to make it seem better than it is.

can nitnendo fans stop making the assumption they invent, everything nintendo has done, has already been done, and when they do it, they use old tech to reduce cost rather than use better tech with better quality.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it's harder to deal with controllers I agree. Last time I could do something was with something like that "Bluetooth controller -> Computer Bluetooth -> magic -> Emulator Bluetooth" but it had a lot of flaws.

Well power depend a lot of your CPU power. My regret with android emulators is that the majority of them are detected as root and some games don't like it.
What do you play?

I used to do all of my Tell Tale gaming on Android but due to the annoying ass way I had to work expanded storage on the Fire TV, I moved all of those games to my Steam machine. Now I just play the Asphalt series, Modern Combat, Riptide and my OUYA collection that I managed to move over. Meltdown is one hell of a game.

I never had that issue with a Moga pro controller, always worked with the emulators on Android =/

Not talking about emulators on Android but emulating Android on PC. there are (at last count) 5 major Android emulators that you can install on your PC and use to run Android apps on your PC. My issue is their lack of proper controller support.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo Cross. As in cross performance: on the go or on your TV. At least thats what I always thought NX means considering how often X is literally translated to Cross for video games in Japan (other examples include Project X Zone and Monster Hunter XX (pronounced Double Cross).
Yeah this guy gets it. :P

Too bad some other cultures just won't understand the Japanese ways sometimes. Is true that the Letter X can be seen as a cross. But how can you expect some of us to understand that? When we had games before Like super nintendo, the buttons was represented by letters of the alpha bet. ABXYLR Same on genesis ABC XYZ. Then Playstation comes out and be like shapes. Square Triangle Circle and X..... Square can be seen as BOX or window, as in most games on that system Commonly rpg you use it to open menus. Triangle could maybe seen as POINT cause how i has a point at the top and placed at the top of the other buttons, used for actions or shortcuts. Circle could maybe be seen as ROUND (Obviously) Cause is round. And X can be seen as CROSS Cause usually that the way you cross out stuff when writing on paper or anything. Basically why IN japan the playstation games are using "CROSS" to cancel and "CIRCLE" To Advance menus, representing "O-K" I guess?

If the playstation was like that in america it would be the same as playing snes games as the A button placement is same as playstation Circle So it would do the same function. Somehow between all consoles like xbox, playstation and nintendo we got so much ridiculous unexplained controller mappings :P

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah this guy gets it. :P

Too bad some other cultures just won't understand the Japanese ways sometimes. Is true that the Letter X can be seen as a cross. But how can you expect some of us to understand that? When we had games before Like super nintendo, the buttons was represented by letters of the alpha bet. ABXYLR Same on genesis ABC XYZ. Then Playstation comes out and be like shapes. Square Triangle Circle and X..... Square can be seen as BOX or window, as in most games on that system Commonly rpg you use it to open menus. Triangle could maybe seen as POINT cause how i has a point at the top and placed at the top of the other buttons, used for actions or shortcuts. Circle could maybe be seen as ROUND (Obviously) Cause is round. And X can be seen as CROSS Cause usually that the way you cross out stuff when writing on paper or anything. Basically why IN japan the playstation games are using "CROSS" to cancel and "CIRCLE" To Advance menus, representing "O-K" I guess?

If the playstation was like that in america it would be the same as playing snes games as the A button placement is same as playstation Circle So it would do the same function. Somehow between all consoles like xbox, playstation and nintendo we got so much ridiculous unexplained controller mappings :P

thats what confuses me when playing Jap imports, take Resident Evil HD on PS3, its button layout is so confusing, you get O to interact and X is to cancel, but then at the same time you press O to pick an item up and youd assume (because it is in uk games) that the interact button is also the ok button, so you'd press O to pick and item up and O again to say YES, but nope.

Resident Evil HD remaster its O to pick up an item and X to say yes.

Metal Gear was the same on the PS1, youd think press X to start the game, but its O.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats what confuses me when playing Jap imports, take Resident Evil HD on PS3, its button layout is so confusing, you get O to interact and X is to cancel, but then at the same time you press O to pick an item up and youd assume (because it is in uk games) that the interact button is also the ok button, so you'd press O to pick and item up and O again to say YES, but nope.

Resident Evil HD remaster its O to pick up an item and X to say yes.

Metal Gear was the same on the PS1, youd think press X to start the game, but its O.
That how the games on playstation was back in the day. Cause is how the other controllers before it was. The Japanese try to emulate the snes with the A and O placement and B and X placement. SO that why it was like that until they just decided to change it internationally but keep it that way in japan only. Usually why i don't bother with imports on playstation cause of this. Being fair since there is not a rule of thumb for controller layouts, is all just console specific which i guess throws some people off. Even though playstation and xbox has same input layout functions, nintendo is the only difference here. In japan, perhaps xbox is a difference (If they even play xbox in japan) But xbox controls was based off dreamcast so can't expect much. :P

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That how the games on playstation was back in the day. Cause is how the other controllers before it was. The Japanese try to emulate the snes with the A and O placement and B and X placement. SO that why it was like that until they just decided to change it internationally but keep it that way in japan only. Usually why i don't bother with imports on playstation cause of this. Being fair since there is not a rule of thumb for controller layouts, is all just console specific which i guess throws some people off. Even though playstation and xbox has same input layout functions, nintendo is the only difference here. In japan, perhaps xbox is a difference (If they even play xbox in japan) But xbox controls was based off dreamcast so can't expect much. :P

i think the button symbols are to point back at childhood, you had ABC letters and O [] X /\ shapes as primary, like red, yellow, green and blue.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Fast RMX was designed to use 100% of Switch's hardware so why is it surprising?
This. It's trying to keep 1080p60 going. Which is actually far more stressful than the port of BotW which can hardly maintain 720p30. Sounds farfetched when you say it out loud.. Oo

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

nintendo did not invent this idea, there are already tablets on the market that does exactly this.

all nintendo have done is taken this idea and used it for its console, to make it seem better than it is.

can nitnendo fans stop making the assumption they invent, everything nintendo has done, has already been done, and when they do it, they use old tech to reduce cost rather than use better tech with better quality.
Ok you're right, there were some crappy android tablets that could play angry birds and candy crush. The market was already saturated. /s

Reactions: GerbilSoft

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yep, the Switch is a PSP Go with current tech, right down to the dock.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By that logic, your PC is just a 1981 IBM 5150 with "current tech", right down to the keyboard.

I have no idea what a "1981 IBM 5150" is.

I mean that the idea is the same. The PSP go was the same idea as the switch. It could be used as a portable console or you could put it in the dock and play on your TV with a PS3 controller.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's worked both in their favor and against their favor. There are those who want to play nintendo games on powerful systems. Imagine the next Xenoblade Chronicles as a technical marvel that's optimized for PC?
Considering that I think the original Xenoblade Chronicles was vastly superior to X despite being on vastly inferior hardware, that does nothing for me.

I have no idea what a "1981 IBM 5150" is.

I mean that the idea is the same. The PSP go was the same idea as the switch. It could be used as a portable console or you could put it in the dock and play on your TV with a PS3 controller.
Except it wasn't really all that close to console standards for the day when docked. Also, (and I didn't do my research here, so please correct me if I'm wrong) it didn't do single-console multiplayer. Being able to just hand your buddy a joycon while you're out and about is a solid selling point for the Switch.

Last edited by grossaffe,
Reactions: TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering that I think the original Xenoblade Chronicles was vastly superior to X despite being on vastly inferior hardware, that does nothing for me.

Except it wasn't really all that close to console standards for the day when docked. Also, (and I didn't do my research here, so please correct me if I'm wrong) it didn't do single-console mutliplayer. Being able to just hand your buddy a joycon while you're out and about is a solid selling point for the Switch.
The multiplayer everywhere aspect is what got me excited about the system the most.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Bad dragon