Confirmed Nintendo Switch is using stock Nvidia Tegra X1, no modifications.

All is confirmed the Nintendo Switch is powered by stock Nvidia Tegra X1, same chipset used in Shield TV. The most surprising is the retention of 4 Cortex A53 processor cores, which have no use in the Nintendo switch as they can't be operated at the same time when Cortex A57 cores are running due to the ARM big.little configuration setup.

main-unit-6.jpg

Nvidia-T210.jpg

After subsequent processing of the GPU from the Nintendo Switch, we have determined that the processor is the Nvidia Tegra T210. The T210 CPU features 4 Cortex A57 and 4 Cortex A53 processor cores and the GPU is a GM20B Maxell core.

http://techinsights.com/about-techinsights/overview/blog/nintendo-switch-teardown/

Nvidia Tegra X1 features
  • 8 core CPU (4 x Cortex A57 and 4 x Cortex A53)
  • GPU is a GM20B Maxell core

A comparison to Shield TV. Switch specs on the left, and Shield TV on the right. The clock speeds are reported from Eurogamer, which are very much true.

• RAM: 4GB vs 3GB
  • CPU: 1Ghz vs. 2Ghz
  • GPU: 3 modes:307.2Mhz/384Mhz/768Mhz vs 1Ghz

Shield TV is clocked higher initially in both CPU and GPU, but don't forget Shield TV can't keep these clock speeds up for long, it throttles down to the exact switch's dock clockspeeds. Which further supports a stock X1.

Last edited by heartgold,

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of work for a normal person, but for a large company like NVIDIA it isn't really. Though that much work for mostly software developments for just one console is quite a bit. It really depends on how you look at it.
Well I think you're looking at it in relative terms instead of realistically the amount of work that is.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually it's been discovered that it's a bad wifi driver that is created those issues, if you turn off wifi or put on airplane mode it runs smoooth!

Nintendo are working on an updated driver. Apparently.

Used a poor choice of wording in trying to sound polite in regards to these things while maintaining as much neutrality as I can. Too late to edit that now, but I shouldn't have said "mostly". The frame rate issues, even with wifi off, are still there, at least for me, but they aren't bad at all. After turning off wifi I still suffered from slight fps dips, but it was a massive improvement regardless.

This is just my assumption at the moment, but after seeing other switch games in action, notably Fast RMX, in which I could see that the switch was indeed capable of some pretty damn good things, I think BotW could have been optimized to a far greater extent.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Used a poor choice of wording in trying to sound polite in regards to these things while maintaining as much neutrality as I can. Too late to edit that now, but I shouldn't have said "mostly". The frame rate issues, even with wifi off, are still there, at least for me, but they aren't bad at all. After turning off wifi I still suffered from slight fps dips, but it was a massive improvement regardless.

This is just my assumption at the moment, but after seeing other switch games in action, notably Fast RMX, in which I could see that the switch was indeed capable of some pretty damn good things, I think BotW could have been optimized to a far greater extent.

Maybe a DLC patch will improve it? One can hope...

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've seen multiple reports that framerate is still a problem even with wifi disabled, allbeit much less of a problem than before. It may be something that can be fixed via update, but who knows.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Maybe a DLC patch will improve it? One can hope...
"DLC Patch" lol, I think you mean "update"?"
DLC patch technically works, but I've never heard that used for an update.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've seen multiple reports that framerate is still a problem even with wifi disabled, allbeit much less of a problem than before. It may be something that can be fixed via update, but who knows.

"DLC Patch" lol, I think you mean "update"?
I haven't really noticed but then I'm playing in portable mode while my dock is in for warranty...

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

"DLC Patch" lol, I think you mean "update"?"
DLC patch technically works, but I've never heard that used for an update.

yea I meant both, since they are making DLC they can optimize existing code and send out an update as well, I guess my brain combined the two while I was typing.

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to say something along the lines of:

"BotW is good enough as it is and most of it's buyers enjoyed to a great extent, so there's no need to update it. Instead they should be focusing on working on new games (since I'm one of the people who think that they need to get out good 1st person party games out as much as possible to ensure the switch's success)"

But then I forgot people will come back to this game at the end of the year or so when the DLC hits, so updating it in the meantime (or when the DLC releases, not WITH the dlc of course) is probably still relevant.

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was going to say something along the lines of:

"BotW is good enough as it is and most of it's buyers enjoyed to a great extent, so there's no need to update it. Instead they should be focusing on working on new games (since I'm one of the people who think that they need to get out good 1st person party games out as much as possible to ensure the switch's success)"

But then I forgot people will come back to this game at the end of the year or so when the DLC hits, so updating it in the meantime (or when the DLC releases, not WITH the dlc of course) is probably still relevant.

QWxhpi_HXP34_JJ0t8fo_Vizkj_GCj_AGA7_R.jpg

Reactions: s157

Tousle

Trophies
XP
Country
People focus too much on hardware when it comes to Nintendo. They forget that their strength is in the software. Even so, hardware is not the deciding factor to a console's success, generally speaking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol