Confirmed Nintendo Switch is using stock Nvidia Tegra X1, no modifications.

All is confirmed the Nintendo Switch is powered by stock Nvidia Tegra X1, same chipset used in Shield TV. The most surprising is the retention of 4 Cortex A53 processor cores, which have no use in the Nintendo switch as they can't be operated at the same time when Cortex A57 cores are running due to the ARM big.little configuration setup.

main-unit-6.jpg

Nvidia-T210.jpg

After subsequent processing of the GPU from the Nintendo Switch, we have determined that the processor is the Nvidia Tegra T210. The T210 CPU features 4 Cortex A57 and 4 Cortex A53 processor cores and the GPU is a GM20B Maxell core.

http://techinsights.com/about-techinsights/overview/blog/nintendo-switch-teardown/

Nvidia Tegra X1 features
  • 8 core CPU (4 x Cortex A57 and 4 x Cortex A53)
  • GPU is a GM20B Maxell core

A comparison to Shield TV. Switch specs on the left, and Shield TV on the right. The clock speeds are reported from Eurogamer, which are very much true.

• RAM: 4GB vs 3GB
  • CPU: 1Ghz vs. 2Ghz
  • GPU: 3 modes:307.2Mhz/384Mhz/768Mhz vs 1Ghz

Shield TV is clocked higher initially in both CPU and GPU, but don't forget Shield TV can't keep these clock speeds up for long, it throttles down to the exact switch's dock clockspeeds. Which further supports a stock X1.

Last edited by heartgold,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ah just one of those things, we don't know for sure. Follow the logic, but you're dealing with Nintendo, so who knows. :unsure: It is weaker than ps3 and x360 in raw power, apart from ram and modern GPU features. Devs have openly implied it and reported by leaks.
I very much doubt it - it's the memory layout and overall architecture that's bonkers since it's inherited from the Gamecube. The most in-depth post on there suggests 320 units, this number is quoted by a number of reputable sources that deal specifically in this kind of analysis, so I'll go with that. Not that it matters, it's just a number - the system was too weak to compete with the PS4 and XBO either way. I'm no expert, but I'm skeptical of the figure. I guess we need someone with an electron microscope on the case, and that costs money. :P

Reactions: heartgold
D

Deleted-401606

The switch owners who give you the impression are just very vocal about it. You have the rabid Nintendo HATERS who bought the switch specifically to trash talk it, and you have the dissatisfied customer who isn't happy with what he or she paid for. Most switch owners are happily playing with their hybrid console, and a good number of them acknowledge its faults but are happy regardless.

The dock is terrible, the Wi-Fi is terrible, and the FPS dips are pretty bad especially when you want to be online simultaneously. I still like it, but I would not recommend others to buy it unless a new model comes out or it goes on sale

I get a bit upset when people resort to ad hominem attacks when I express disappointment with the way nintendo has been doing business. Eventually I will probably buy it because I want to play the latest nintendo games,but I am not happy about buying an outdated nvidia shield at 300$. I dont see why people act like you are making fun of their mothers when you say that you aren't happy with a product. I have been a nintendo customer for over 20+ years. I have almost every nintendo system and I get a little bit upset when other people insult me for what i perceive to be a greedy nintendo trying to milk its loyal fanbase.

Reactions: geodeath

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I very much doubt it - it's the memory layout and overall architecture that's bonkers since it's inherited from the Gamecube. The most in-depth post on there suggests 320 units, this number is quoted by a number of reputable sources that deal specifically in this kind of analysis, so I'll go with that. Not that it matters, it's just a number - the system was too weak to compete with the PS4 and XBO either way. I'm no expert, but I'm skeptical of the figure. I guess we need someone with an electron microscope on the case, and that costs money. :P
Exactly whether it is 176 or 376 gflop, is a pitful Number against the likes XB1, ps4 and a decade behind ps4 pro, now we roughly know the Nintendo Switch's potential around 0.5 Tflops, it's not a very big stepup from the Wii U, and could run into the same problems, where it will struggle to get demanding ports and we can already see third party support is somewhat lacking. Same old story with Nintendo.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

The wii didn't have to be perfect to be the second-best selling Home console ever
The Wii only sold really well because Nintendo got into a trend that was popular at the time, most of those that bought a Wii either left it being a dust collector or placed it in their closet. Sales aside, it wasn't very good as a home console.

Explain yourself
For a console that was part of the 7th gen, it was really nothing more than "GameCube Slim" with motion controls, the Wii should have had WiiU's hardware but unfortunately it didn't.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Exactly whether it is 176 or 376 gflop, is a pitful Number against the likes XB1, ps4 and a decade behind ps4 pro, now we roughly know the Nintendo Switch's potential around 0.5 Tflops, it's not a very big stepup from the Wii U, and could run into the same problems, where it will struggle to get demanding ports and we can already see third party support is somewhat lacking. Same old story with Nintendo.
The only chance for the Switch to be successful is a leap of faith. Nintendo needs to restructure, consolidate their home console and handheld console divisions, kill the 3DS and focus 110% of effort on releasing quality Switch software that will push units. I'm talking the likes of mainstream Pokemon installments, not just Mario - that's not enough. They are pioneers in a new field of hybrid devices and they can either bank on it and put all their chips in or sink. Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2 is a good start, but they need a barrage of titles, make the system a must-have. All of their future consoles should be hybrids, the whole house needs to get involved.

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only chance for the Switch to be successful is a leap of faith. Nintendo needs to restructure, consolidate their home console and handheld console divisions, kill the 3DS and focus 110% of effort on releasing quality Switch software that will push units. I'm talking the likes of mainstream Pokemon installments, not just Mario - that's not enough. They are pioneers in a new field of hybrid devices and they can either bank on it and put all their chips in or sink. Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2 is a good start, but they need a barrage of titles, make the system a must-have. All of their future consoles should be hybrids, the whole house needs to get involved.
Absolutely agree with you, they need to make a strong statement and get their big guns out. I feel this E3 is going to be very important for them, will determine the success of the Switch, they need send a strong message across and that they have solid first party games on the way for this year and next year coming, if they can grab some 3rd party games, it will only add to their strength. Perhaps an exclusive or two won't hurt. Saying that about mainline Pokemon, god how long have people dreamed about playing a proper Pokemon game on their TV, it is bound to grab some interest.

Reactions: Foxi4

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely agree with you, they need to make a strong statement and get their big guns out. I feel this E3 is going to be very important for them, will determine the success of the Switch, they need send a strong message across and that they have solid first party games on the way for this year and next year coming, if they can grab some 3rd party games, it will only add to their strength. Perhaps an exclusive or two won't hurt. Saying that about mainline Pokemon, god how long have people dreamed about playing a proper Pokemon game on their TV, it is bound to grab some interest.
I can't denny that, if they ever make a main line pokemon game for the switch and even a monster hunter game, you have guaranted yourself the success.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think they should've killed the 3DS long ago, I feel it detracted from the Wii U and was a variable in making it not succeed. It's been six years, they need to let go of it sooner than later.

Reactions: geodeath

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

On point. I'd say if they aren't going to get the third party titles (least at the same time) as the other platforms, then they need to get their first party titles in to make up for it, and they have to be good games too. There's a large number of titles they could reboot/revive too, like Metroid and F-Zero.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's right. They have 5-6 years to get third-party content, but Year 1 is all about units. No units, no support, so they need to push as hard as they can right now.
On point. I'd say if they aren't going to get the third party titles (least at the same time) as the other platforms, then they need to get their first party titles in to make up for it, and they have to be good games too. There's a large number of titles they could reboot/revive too, like Metroid and F-Zero.
People will buy the consoles to play their content, and when the numbers justify it, third-party will get on-board too since they don't have a choice, just like with the Wii - they need outlets to sell content. It's sink or swim, do or die - competition is fierce and they have a unique product to offer, so they need to capitalise on its uniqueness, since hardware capabilities is not their strong suit.
You have a very outsider and small view of what the wii was. It had a really good game library with it
The Wii Remote was initially designed as a Gamecube peripheral, they designed a console around it because the Gamecube was dead and buried. The system has some great titles to offer, but it was a last-ditch effort and it is a revamped Gamecube in every sense of the word, to the point that some of Wii's software was designed on suped up Gamecubes - Metroid Prime 3 comes to mind.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

You have a very outsider and small view of what the wii was. It had a really good game library with it
It was OK at best.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

to the point that some of Wii's software was designed on suped up Gamecubes
Like, Super Paper Mario was planned to be released on GameCube but Ninty cancelled it and released it exclusively on GC2.. I mean, Wii.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they should've killed the 3DS long ago, I feel it detracted from the Wii U and was a variable in making it not succeed. It's been six years, they need to let go of it sooner than later.
Ditching the 3ds would probably be the biggest risk that they could have done because the 3ds was actually successful (and still sorta is). The Wii U was very limited in games, had a crappy gimmick that made people turn away from it, failed to protect part of that gimmick (i.e. selling replacement gamepads or parts outside of like japan), and more to pile onto the issues that people had. The 3ds was a cheap console which had appealing titles and wasn't a complete waste of time and resources to keep afloat.

Reactions: DrkBeam
D

Deleted User

Since there is already a lot of userspace exploitation going on, and we already have the drivers for the Tegra X1, I'm willing to put down real money that, at some point, someone is going to port android to this thing. (Also, Hello fellow Wololo readers! Welcome to GBATemp! enjoy the whiny fanboys and mindless Doublethink arguments :rofl2: )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk