zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So glad I just bought an iPad 2

EDIT: Odd my iPad is just stuck on a screen with the Greenposion logo and "Absinthe is now setting things up, please stand-by.." This screen appeared after i launched the Absinthe app

Any suggestions? XD

Hmm i tried it again with my passcode turned off and it worked

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
So.. whats the word on the newest jailbreak?
I've got a brand new 64GB black iPhone 4S sitting next to me waiting for a jailbreak. But I heard there were some problems with it?

Any info on that would be cool.

Thanks!

Edit: I see there is a newer version (0.3) of Absinthe, does that get rid of any problem the users experienced?

cafevincent

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
I have an iPhone 4 with ios 4.2.1 (8C14) and it's already jailbroken. How do I upgrade to jailbroken ios5 without losing anything like my game saves and calendar content?

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I've got a brand new 64GB black iPhone 4S sitting next to me waiting for a jailbreak. But I heard there were some problems with it?

Thanks!

Edit: I see there is a newer version (0.3) of Absinthe, does that get rid of any problem the users experienced?
If you're talking about things like deleted photos, I don't think so. The only changes I can recall were changing what website the web clip icon led to, and fixing white icon issues.

I have an iPhone 4 with ios 4.2.1 (8C14) and it's already jailbroken. How do I upgrade to jailbroken ios5 without losing anything like my game saves and calendar content?
Restoring with an iTunes backup should work. (You have to restore in order to upgrade from 4.x to 5.x.)

Reactions: 1 person

cafevincent

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
So I should plug my jailbroken iphone to pc/itunes and make a backup and then upgrade to latest IOS and then restore and then jailbreak again? Is this what you mean?

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar

Thanks!

If you're talking about things like deleted photos, I don't think so. The only changes I can recall were changing what website the web clip icon led to, and fixing white icon issues.

Yes people reported stuff like photos gone.. Playlists not working anymore.. And some other stuff
Some were determined to be Cydia tweaks that are not compatible with the 4S yet, and some were just pure bugs

In any case, the question still stands: Thoughts on the newest jailbreak?

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I experienced all those issues. About music and photos. But when you reboot your device, it all comes back and works again. But for my music, I just had to resync with iTunes.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Thanks iFish,

So here is the scenario I have at hand:

1- I'm using a 3GS. Back it up through iTunes (to maintain save data, SMS, contacts, photos.. etc..)
2- jailbreak a brand new 4S
3- set up the phone through the 3GS backup

Will that prevent all issues?

Also, I'm domt think I'm supposed to ask, but I will anyway:
Will backing up from the 3GS and restoring to the 4S retain the save data from cracked apps?
I have 3 stars on all angry birds levels (except the newest ones, I haven't played those yet). I would hate to lose it.

Any input would help. Thanks!

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.macworld.com/article/156802/2011/01/angry_birds_saved.html

Just do this between your own game but before you delete it and after.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Thanks for this.

I used to copy the whole directory, then after installing the game, I overwrite it with the whole directory again.
It gave me an error, but saves were usually retained.

I figured that it was a bit of dirty workaround, so I didnt want to resort to it. But this probably is cleaner so I might try it.
But the original question still stands, does iTunes backup saves or data from cracked apps?

Thanks again!

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Just mentioning, the majority of my saved data from cracked apps were saved when I upgraded. I was even surprised to see that, after upgrading and finding that one of my cracked apps didn't copy back, just buying the app from the store legitly also restored all the data that app contained when it was cracked. Useful.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Hey,
thanks guys for all your tips. The jailbreak worked fine. I have huge problem though.

My sms list is empty (was not restored), and if I try to send a sms, the app crashes, and I cant receive any msgs.

I'd appreciate the help!

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Enough with the cracked apps discussion in this thread. It's beginning to annoy me now.

Hey,
thanks guys for all your tips. The jailbreak worked fine. I have huge problem though.

My sms list is empty (was not restored), and if I try to send a sms, the app crashes, and I cant receive any msgs.

I'd appreciate the help!
If you don't mind not having your SMS history anymore, you could try deleting /var/mobile/Library/SMS.

Hey Dialexio, here's a suggestion for the guide: http://msftguy.blogs...eation-and.html
This guy made a tool that mounts a ramdisk on your iOS device (A4 and older) and let's you access the filesystem through SSH. Great for recovering pictures, preferences and files if you get stuck in a boot loop.
It seems like a useful tool, but it doesn't completely pertain to jailbreaking. The guide is also pretty cluttered to begin with, so I don't think it'll be added any time soon.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Enough with the cracked apps discussion in this thread. It's beginning to annoy me now.
It wasnt really a discussion about cracked apps. It was more of a technical "is-it-doable" kind of discussion.
Nothing wrong with that :)

Hey,

I'd appreciate the help!
If you don't mind not having your SMS history anymore, you could try deleting /var/mobile/Library/SMS.

Thanks! That was HUGE help! It worked.
I still need my sms though if possible. So, last question, any "free" programs that copies sms from iphone to iphone?

I googled, but came up with a few programs that I have to buy, which arent really worth it.

Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro