Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Basically, when the first number is different (e.g.- iOS 4.3.1 to iOS 5.0.1), you have to perform a restore because Apple makes lots of internal changes. There aren't nearly as many changes between, say, 5.0 and 5.0.1, or 5.0 and 5.1.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Would it be possible to use anchor tags in this guide? it would help to prevent people having to scroll 1/2 though the guide just for the actual jailbreaking steps.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm so happy to see that this guide is still alive :) I remember originally writing it , I think I still have V1 haha , good luck with keeping it up, I may actually go find my touch and get it up to date and jailbroken , not been in the apple scene for a while so will be using this guide :D

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Might be in a spot of trouble.. Forgot that my Ipod Touch 4g was on 5.0.0 when I jailbroke it with the latest redsn0w so now it is tethered on that version.. What do I do to upgrade it to 5.0.1 so I can untether it?

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The guide received a few mild updates, including headers and redsn0w 0.9.4 (for those running iOS 3.1.3). And I'd like to reintroduce everybody to [m]iFish[/m], who will once again work on the guide! :)

Ah, so they do work? I'll be on it, then. ;P

I'm so happy to see that this guide is still alive :) I remember originally writing it , I think I still have V1 haha , good luck with keeping it up, I may actually go find my touch and get it up to date and jailbroken , not been in the apple scene for a while so will be using this guide :D
Heh, thanks man! :)

Reactions: 1 person

blahkamehameha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll post this here again in hope for an answer:

Semi-noob here needing help. I can easily hack a Wii, PSP, and Xbox, but apple products give me a little trouble.

I plan to jailbreak my friend's Iphone 4 GSM. After I jailbreak it, what further steps are needed?

1.) It needs to retain its full-usage of being a phone. (and battery life.) So will I need to do any of the SAM/Hactivation stuff or is all that outdated? (and apple's 'killswitch'?)

2.) Also, in the past, I would connect my jailbroken Ipod Touch 2G to itunes, and itunes would delete some of my apps I got through Cydia and various sources. How can you make it where Itunes (and any future updates to Itunes) won't delete (or further screw around with) any of the downloaded apps and features from jailbreaking?

3.) Lastly, his Iphone has a ton of music on it and contacts. What is the best way to back that up and put it back on a jailbroken Iphone?

If someone can assist me on these things it would be greatly appreciated.

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'll post this here again in hope for an answer:

Semi-noob here needing help. I can easily hack a Wii, PSP, and Xbox, but apple products give me a little trouble.

I plan to jailbreak my friend's Iphone 4 GSM. After I jailbreak it, what further steps are needed?

1.) It needs to retain its full-usage of being a phone. (and battery life.) So will I need to do any of the SAM/Hactivation stuff or is all that outdated? (and apple's 'killswitch'?)

2.) Also, in the past, I would connect my jailbroken Ipod Touch 2G to itunes, and itunes would delete some of my apps I got through Cydia and various sources. How can you make it where Itunes (and any future updates to Itunes) won't delete (or further screw around with) any of the downloaded apps and features from jailbreaking?

3.) Lastly, his Iphone has a ton of music on it and contacts. What is the best way to back that up and put it back on a jailbroken Iphone?

If someone can assist me on these things it would be greatly appreciated.
SAM and hacktivation is only needed for use on unauthorized carriers (e.g. Using an AT&T-locked iPhone with T-Mobile). If it's factory-unlocked or sticking with AT&T, don't worry about it.

iTunes will not delete Cydia apps or legally purchased App Store apps. The former may get deleted if you choose to update or restore in iTunes, but that's about it.

I believe contacts are backed up when you perform a backup with iCloud/iTunes. (Could be wrong with that, though.) Music can be copied from the iPhone using a program like iExplorer (http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/), and re-uploaded via iTunes.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I'm going to give iExplorer a try myself. After upgrading my computer (and installing a new copy of Windows) iTunes only has around half my original library, so I don't want to resync my iPod/iPad until I'm sure I don't lose any songs. Sounds like a good way to do it.

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Just a little warning when using iExplorer: The songs will have odd names and odd directories. (e.g. "/F05/DDEY.m4a") But if the songs have info like the artist, album, etc., you won't have a problem identifying each song (and neither will iTunes).

Also, I forgot to mention this, but the directory that holds your music is /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music.

EDIT: Corona has been updated to 1.0-5 to address the launchd issue (the fix didn't kick in sometimes), and also addresses iBooks compatibility. redsn0w should include the updated untether within the next day or two.

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Greetings, everyone. Excuse the double post, but I thought you'd like to know that a jailbreak for A5 device on 5.0.1 is out. Currently, only the Mac version is available, but the Windows version should be out shortly (as well as a guide write-up… though that may be a bit difficult without an A5 device!).

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And I'm pleased to say that I just finished the writeup of said jailbreak and the process! With images and snarky comments!

I've sent it to Dialexio for image watermarking and such. Should be up shortly(I hope!)!

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It's a few hours overdue, but the guide was updated to include Absinthe (the aforementioned A5+5.0.1 jailbreak) and sn0wbreeze 2.9.1. :) The edition name now has a double meaning. :P

UPDATE: The Windows version is now available!

junn

Trophies
Website
flic.kr
XP
Country
United States
It's a few hours overdue, but the guide was updated to include Absinthe (the aforementioned A5+5.0.1 jailbreak) and sn0wbreeze 2.9.1. :) The edition name now has a double meaning. :P

UPDATE: The Windows version is now available!
Sure is, now backing up my stuff...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?