Apple Complete iOS Jailbreak Guide

anime4ever

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Got the notification about iOS 5.1 being available to install; still no untethered jailbreak as far as I know, so is there something to take away the bubble on Settings?
There's a tweak called "noOTA badge" in Cydia that should remedy that.

I have a jailbroken iphone3gs and unlocked with the ipad baseband. I want to update it to the lastest ios version but I heard I cant use the stock version of apple. How should I do it.?
You should be able to make a custom IPSW with redsn0w to update. (Keep in mind custom IPSWs from redsn0w will not jailbreak your iPhone.)
So I just go and download a ipsw(lastest version and 3gs) from a firmware site and just boot?
I am really confused.

Thanks

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I updated the guide to include a working table of contents and the iOS-based Apple TVs, but I somehow neglected the iPad 3. :blink: I'll add it to the guide later. Thanks!
Just another bit of info: the iPhone 4 GSM sets have a model of A1332 and the CDMA model of A1349.

The iPad 3 has a model number of A1430.

@Dialexio if you need any extra help in maintaining the guide, I'm here.

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So I just go and download a ipsw(lastest version and 3gs) from a firmware site and just boot?
I am really confused.

Thanks
No. In redsn0w, go to the "Extras" section and select "Custom IPSW." I'll see if I can write this up soon.

Just another bit of info: the iPhone 4 GSM sets have a model of A1332 and the CDMA model of A1349.

Thanks for the info and offer! :) I need to know the model number that all iPad 3s report, though. (i.e. The CDMA/Verizon model, the global LTE model, and the Wi-Fi models probably have different model numbers. The model number doesn't change with capacity.)

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to jailbreak my iPod touch 4g 5.0.1 (unteathered) with redsnow_win_0.9.10b3. I can get as far as DFU mode, the screen remains black and does nothing, the redsnow program does not recognize my iPod anymore. I've tried running the redsnow program as is, as admin, as compatibility for XP sp2, and compatibility for XP sp2 as admin, what gives. Every time the screen goes black and I must hold in both buttons to get it out of DFU mode so I can retry. Any help with this? I would try the latest redsnow but don't know if it works with my device since this update was for iPad2 and iPhone 4s.

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, I'm not sure of the cause or fix (I use Mac OS X), so these are just suggestions that will hopefully help.

If iTunes isn't up-to-date, try updating it. redsn0w 0.9.10b6 still works with the iPod touch 4G, so I would suggest using that as well.

if you're still having trouble, try another USB port.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hope the forums likes the new way we're going with this.

As [m]Foxi4[/m] always says(Which is now our motto!) "Just get an Android device"

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, I'm not sure of the cause or fix (I use Mac OS X), so these are just suggestions that will hopefully help.

If iTunes isn't up-to-date, try updating it. redsn0w 0.9.10b6 still works with the iPod touch 4G, so I would suggest using that as well.

if you're still having trouble, try another USB port.

anime4ever

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am really confused.

Thanks
No. In redsn0w, go to the "Extras" section and select "Custom IPSW." I'll see if I can write this up soon.

Thanks for the info and offer! :) I need to know the model number that all iPad 3s report, though. (i.e. The CDMA/Verizon model, the global LTE model, and the Wi-Fi models probably have different model numbers. The model number doesn't change with capacity.)
Can I get more infos on how to do it?

Well if we ''ever'' get our IOS tut back.

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
@[member='Dialexio']

One *kinda off topic* qn: will the iOS guide still be maintained? :O
Not a chance. iFish and I have come to a mutual decision to drop iOS support in favor of Android, since iFish is a newfound(?) Google fanboy, and I've grown sick of Apple's new direction.

I'm super cereal about this. I'm through with supporting Apple.

Sent from my MacBook Pro

Can I get more infos on how to do it?

Well if we ''ever'' get our IOS tut back.
The iOS information is done for, but I'll help you through this problem. But after that, we're gonna be all about Android!

1. Download redsn0w.
  2. Download the IPSW corresponding to the device and firmware you wish to jailbreak.
  3. Run redsn0w (Windows users, run it as an Administrator and in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP SP2). Click on "Extras."

gallery_164087_135_3036.png
  4. You will be presented with a list of options. Select "Custom IPSW."

gallery_164087_135_60872.png
  5. Browse to the IPSW that you downloaded. If you have an iPhone 3GS, you will see an additional prompt.

gallery_164087_897_32389.png
  6. After a minute or so, redsn0w will finish packing up the IPSW. See the section below for instructions on using this IPSW!

gallery_164087_897_27697.png
  7. Go back to the "Extras" screen, and select "Pwned DFU."

gallery_164087_897_25527.png
  8. Connect you iDevice to your PC, and turn it off (if possible). Hit next in redsn0w.

gallery_164087_135_54779.png
  9. redsn0w will now provide instructions to enter DFU Mode.

gallery_164087_135_6573.png
  10. Wait for redsn0w's window to tell you that your device is in a pwned DFU Mode. You will then be able to restore to the custom IPSW you built!

I like what you've done with the place. :ha:
Thanks for being supportive of the guide's new direction! It means a lot to both me and iFish. :)

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Well then. This guide should be moved + renamed. I hope you won't remove the present guide though, people MIGHT need it. It's quite handy actually. :P

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Sent from my MacBook Pro
LAWLLLL. That explains a lot.
But a rooting section is always welcome. I have been dying to try rooting on my GS2 (but I don't have the guts :( )

And my administration class is gone. NOOOOOO :cry:

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
April Fools!

I hope everybody enjoyed the "Android Rooting/Unlocking Guide!" (I know I certainly enjoyed writing it up!)

Although there were a lot of facts (iFish's newfound Google fanboyism, my dislike for Mac OS X Lion, my shoddy attempt at making a legit Galaxy Nexus rooting/unlocking tutorial) and a lot of b/s (being angry at Apple's "lack of innovation," my praises for Samsung's Galaxy Note), we certainly have no plans to stop helping people break out of Apple's walled garden. iFish and I still like Apple. (Sorry Android users, I don't have plans for writing a tutorial!)

I don't know how many people caught this (if anyone), but the iOS guide was always available during this prank! You just had to scroll down ~6000 pixels(!!!), click where the Easter egg normally is, or click on the Al Gore caricature.

I'll take down the joke in a little bit. If you missed out on the joke and want to see it, I wrapped it up in this nice spoiler for you:

Complete iOS Jailbreaking
Android Rooting/Unlocking Guide

"The beat goes on" "DRROOOOOOOIIIDD!!!!" Edition
This guide was last significantly updated on March 31, 2012 at 9:33 PM EST.

gallery_164087_240_12034.png

This guide is maintained by [m]Dialexio[/m], with help from [m]iFish[/m], because Dialexio is too cheap to get an Android device, even though he has a boatload of Apple crap (that he will discard in the next week or so).​

Rooting/Unlocking the Galaxy Nexus (both versions)
guide_win.png

Being a Nexus smartphone, the Galaxy Nexus is extremely easy to unlock and root. We're gonna use a program called "Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit" by WugFresh.

Downloads:
Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit

Rooting/Unlocking
  1. DO NOT PLUG IN YOUR GALAXY NEXUS UNTIL THE PROGRAM TELLS YOU TO.
  2. Install and run the Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit.
  3. Select which Galaxy Nexus model you have (GSM or CDMA), and then click "Drivers."
  4. If you want to back up your data before rooting/unlocking, now is the time to do so, with "Backup Apps + Data."
  5. Click on "Unlock" to unlock the bootloader, and "Root" to root your phone.
  6. That's it! Should you need to go back to factory conditions, click on "Flash Stock + Unroot," then "OEM Lock."

FAQ
  1. Why the sudden switch?
    - [RANT MODE] I hate the dead-end road Apple's going down. Have you seen the devices Apple sold since Steve Jobs's resigning? Not one new design has left Cupertino since then. The Apple TV remained the same, the iPad retained the same design, the iPhone retained the same design, and the iPod touch stayed the same. Even iOS has (mostly) the same home screen design as it did when it first launched. (With the wallpaper being pretty much the only exception.)

Now compare that to Android handsets. With devices like Samsung's Galaxy Note being introduced, it's clear that Android device manufacturers are the ones innovating in the right direction.

On a side note, you probably noticed the lack of Mac OS X support. Don't even get me started on the atrocious mess that is Mac OS X Lion. It stumbles on calculating file sizes, half of its built-in apps don't support the new back/forward gestures, Replacing "Save As" with the very inefficient "Duplicate…" The list goes on and on.
    [/RANT MODE]
  2. Will the guide be even more cluttered than before?
    - Yes. There's only so many ways I can include all of those Android handsets.
  3. When do you expect to complete this Android guide?
    - Hopefully before the fall semester begins.
  4. I wanna jailbreak iOS, where can I find the last version of your iOS guide?
    - Don't bother, and just get an Android device. They can do more and they're not artificially handicapped like iOS devices.
  5. Why aren't there any screenshots?
    - I was too lazy to boot up Windows just to take measly screenshots. Deal with it, I'm doing a favor by sharing this you know!
  6. Why do you only have the Galaxy Nexus?
    - It was the most convenient to write up, since iFish has one.
  7. Is this an April Fools joke?
    -
    imsuperserial2.png

gallery_164087_240_1379.gif

[anchor="aprilfools"][anchor="supercereal"]
Complete iOS Jailbreak Guide

"APRIL FOOLS! Hope you enjoyed that! :P" Edition

(The iOS section of the guide was here.)​

Reactions: 2 people

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
April Fools!

I hope everybody enjoyed the "Android Rooting/Unlocking Guide!" (I know I certainly enjoyed writing it up!) Although there were a lot of facts (iFish's newfound Google fanboyism, my dislike for Mac OS X Lion, my shoddy attempt at making a legit Galaxy Nexus rooting/unlocking tutorial) and a lot of b/s (being angry at Apple's "lack of innovation," my praises for Samsung's Galaxy Note), we certainly have no plans to stop helping people break out of Apple's walled garden. iFish and I still like Apple. (Sorry Android users, I don't have plans for writing a tutorial!)

I don't know how many people caught this (if anyone), but the iOS guide was always available during this prank! You just had to scroll down ~6000 pixels(!!!), click where the Easter egg normally is, or click on the Al Gore caricature.

I'll take down the joke a little bit. If you missed out on the joke and want to see it, I wrapped it up in this nice spoiler for you:

Complete iOS Jailbreaking
Android Rooting/Unlocking Guide

"The beat goes on" "DRROOOOOOOIIIDD!!!!" Edition

gallery_164087_240_12034.png

This guide is maintained by [m]Dialexio[/m], with help from [m]iFish[/m], because Dialexio is too cheap to get an Android device, even though he has a boatload of Apple crap (that he will discard in the next week or so).​

Rooting/Unlocking the Galaxy Nexus (both versions)
guide_win.png

Being a Nexus smartphone, the Galaxy Nexus is extremely easy to unlock and root. We're gonna use a program called "Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit" by WugFresh.

Downloads:
Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit

Rooting/Unlocking
  1. DO NOT PLUG IN YOUR GALAXY NEXUS UNTIL THE PROGRAM TELLS YOU TO.
  2. Install and run the Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit.
  3. Select which Galaxy Nexus model you have (GSM or CDMA), and then click "Drivers."
  4. If you want to back up your data before rooting/unlocking, now is the time to do so, with "Backup Apps + Data."
  5. Click on "Unlock" to unlock the bootloader, and "Root" to root your phone.
  6. That's it! Should you need to go back to factory conditions, click on "Flash Stock + Unroot," then "OEM Lock."

FAQ
  1. Why the sudden switch?
    - [RANT MODE] I hate the dead-end road Apple's going down. Have you seen the devices Apple sold since Steve Jobs's resigning? Not one new design has left Cupertino since then. The Apple TV remained the same, the iPad retained the same design, the iPhone retained the same design, and the iPod touch stayed the same. Even iOS has (mostly) the same home screen design as it did when it first launched. (With the wallpaper being pretty much the only exception.)

Now compare that to Android handsets. With devices like Samsung's Galaxy Note being introduced, it's clear that Android device manufacturers are the ones innovating in the right direction.

On a side note, you probably noticed the lack of Mac OS X support. Don't even get me started on the atrocious mess that is Mac OS X Lion. It stumbles on calculating file sizes, half of its built-in apps don't support the new back/forward gestures, Replacing "Save As" with the very inefficient "Duplicate…" The list goes on and on.
    [/RANT MODE]
  2. Will the guide be even more cluttered than before?
    - Yes. There's only so many ways I can include all of those Android handsets.
  3. When do you expect to complete this Android guide?
    - Hopefully before the fall semester begins.
  4. I wanna jailbreak iOS, where can I find the last version of your iOS guide?
    - Don't bother, and just get an Android device. They can do more and they're not artificially handicapped like iOS devices.
  5. Why aren't there any screenshots?
    - I was too lazy to boot up Windows just to take measly screenshots. Deal with it, I'm doing a favor by sharing this you know!
  6. Why do you only have the Galaxy Nexus?
    - It was the most convenient to write up, since iFish has one.
  7. Is this an April Fools joke?
    -
    imsuperserial2.png

[anchor="aprilfools"][anchor="supercereal"]
Complete iOS Jailbreak Guide

"APRIL FOOLS! Hope you enjoyed that! :P" Edition

(The iOS section of the guide was here.)​
To be honest I nearly got fooled... Until I see MacBook Pro. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?