Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
There is a new unlocking method using SAM that may "permanently" unlock your GSM iPhone. For more information, you could check out this link. I hope to include this in the guide soon, but I cannot test these instructions.

4/26 UPDATE: Bah, it looks like Apple's working on fixing the acitvation boo-boo. As a result, I probably won't include the steps now, but you can feel free to click on the above link for instructions. Trying to unlock with SAM will be hit or miss until Apple rolls out the fix to all of their activation servers.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am i doing something wrong?
Iphone 4, white Verizon CDMA 32GB on 5.0.1

RedSnow wont do jack. It DFUs fine, but when it says "waiting for reboot..." my iPhone returns to the Apple logo and boots normally :(

Help please?

EDUT: So PwnageTool doenst seem to know what to do either. I have the CDMA 5.0.1ipsw file too but it says its not supported. RedSn0w too.

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Absinthe is only for the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. You can jailbreak your iPhone 4 with redsn0w instead.

Happy jailbreaking! :) (And when you're all done, be sure to use redsn0w to "fetch" your SHSHs so you can stick with iOS 5.0.1!)

The Viztard

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Absinthe is only for the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. You can jailbreak your iPhone 4 with redsn0w instead.

Happy jailbreaking! :) (And when you're all done, be sure to use redsn0w to "fetch" your SHSHs so you can stick with iOS 5.0.1!)
Haha, yeah, I realized redsn0w was the right one and was able to jailbreak it succesfully! :D Thanks! But how do I go about "fetching" my SHSH's w/ redsn0w? I remember using TinyUmbrella or something for my old Iphone. Any help is appreciated! Thanks again! =]

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
On redsn0w's first screen, click on Extras > SHSH blobs > Fetch. redsn0w will walk you through DFU Mode again, and then proceed to dump/fetch the SHSHs on your iPhone. (The SHSHs will also be sent off to Cydia's servers.)

(This is also covered in the "Dumping/Using SHSHs with redsn0w" section.)

The Viztard

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
On redsn0w's first screen, click on Extras > SHSH blobs > Fetch. redsn0w will walk you through DFU Mode again, and then proceed to dump/fetch the SHSHs on your iPhone. (The SHSHs will also be sent off to Cydia's servers.)

(This is also covered in the "Dumping/Using SHSHs with redsn0w" section.)
Alright! Thanks! Done and done! =]

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Accidentally updated your iPad 2 from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1, and you want to downgrade? Good news: now you can! redsn0w 0.9.11b1 for Mac OS X and for Windows will let you downgrade!

Before you go downloading these versions, MuscleNerd warned that these versions contain "a bunch of new redsn0w code," so you're better off sticking with 0.9.10b8b unless you need to downgrade an A5(X) device.

The process actually involves updating iOS, and then downgrading. As such, your baseband will be updated, so you may want to sit this one out if you depend on an unlock (if you were able to use the SAM technique, you'll be fine). (By the way, Apple apparently knows about this loophole, but didn't do anything about it!)

I'll add this to the guide ASAP.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since PwnageTool and redsn0w are rejecting the IPSW, the IPSW you have is probably damaged. Here's iOS 5.0.1 for the iPhone 4 (CDMA model).

Be sure that iTunes is up to date as well. The latest version is 10.6.1 (as of the time this post was made).

If you're still having trouble, try using another USB port.
So i downloaded your ipsw and tried again. This time i got farther, but upon "waiting for reboot" it eventually ends with "exploit failed" i dont understand why.

unpaidassassin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Silly question: do I need itunes on my computer if I plan to use redsn0w?

I'm having problems so far. I may be entering recovery mode instead of dfu but I follow the timer redsn0w has but it still says I did it wrong.

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you'll need iTunes on whatever computer you're running redsn0w on. iTunes contains the drivers for iOS devices. (iTunes does not need to be running for redsn0w to work… In fact, redsn0w will automatically close iTunes.)

If redsn0w still can't see your device in DFU Mode, make sure you connect your iPad/iPhone/iPod to your computer before turning it off. (If you do it the other way around, plugging it in will make the device boot up, and you don't want that!)

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
For those that want to be untethered on the latest firmware ASAP, Absinthe 2.0 has been released! It is now available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, and supports every device on iOS 5.1.1. Of course, there may be a couple of issues with the jailbreak (it's fresh from the oven, you know), so waiting for an update or two isn't that bad of an idea.

(LIkewise, Seas0nPass also got an update to make iOS 5.0.1 untethered on the Apple TV 2G. There's still no progress with the Apple TV 3G!)

zygie

Trophies
XP
Country
As with Dialexio said, Absinthe 2.0.1 is now out to fix a bug with Absinthe itself. For me this manifested in Cydia not appearing, but otherwise after using 2.0.1 I've jailbroken successfully.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1st Gen iPad. Absinthe 2.0. It gets to "Waiting for process to finish..." and then stops. It actually said "Something seems wrong, recovering files." Second attempt said "ERROR: Could not connect to lockdownd. Aborting." What's going on and how can I fix it?

EDIT: They just released 2.0.1, which fixed the issue and finished my Jailbreak. Ah, its good to have it back. ^_^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with... +1