Homebrew Official Citra - New 3DS Emulator

Tampy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Why does the sneaking (Pokemon ORAS) in the bleeding edge build not working? Some skills are graphically bugged too. Can someone point me to the best version for ORAS?

Last edited by Tampy,

JayFoxRox

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Graphics wise Bleeding Edge 86, performance wise the latest Bleeding Edge.
The newer Bleeding Edge versions also have controller support but there is no graphical interface to configure it yet again (unlike older versions of Bleeding Edge which had worse controller support but with a graphical interface to configure it).

We don't support other builds other than Bleeding Edge or nightly. Official support (by developers) is also only provided for the latest Nightly build and to limited extent it is provided for Bleeding Edge (by the community but you won't be able to submit bug reports / request features or bugfixes).

Reactions: NiagA

JayFoxRox

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I hope the performance of Dragonball Fusions can be improved.
If you make a bat-file with those parameters, that can boost it just a little bit more, but still need more improvement: https://justpaste.it/citra30

Mother of god.. I'd consider that thing to be comparable to a virus.
Your intentions are probably good, but boy oh boy is that thing aggressive.

Just killing a ton of processes, deleting some temporary files (which might still be in use!), defragmenting the disk without any security checks / maintenance mode, doing some sketchy power management, ...

Basicly this thing will have a ton of side effects which might result in data loss or problems even after Citra is exited again OR even after a reboot.

Reactions: NiagA

JayFoxRox

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yea i mean if a compani with nice GUI doin this its okay but if a batch file than its scary lol.

I've specifically listed the actions why I think it's dangerous. As someone who is working on a terminal all day long, I'm certainly not scared by a stupid batch script.
A GUI on top would probably make it even scarier because it hides the dangerous actions behind a cute interface.

Reactions: LG_ and NiagA

Satoshi121

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@JayFoxRox Why isn't Citra on Patreon ?
00bc0358337ad496ff5b074cbb171f8e.png

JayFoxRox

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This kind of support is to free more time to someone work on the project, even if this Patreon don't have the "CITRA" name on it, it's still a direct kind of support. This is more complicated than it seems, but @JayFoxRox can explain better.

I have explained this so often:

https://github.com/rwengine/openrw/issues/85#issuecomment-225172974
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/...ng_of_coding_how_i_can_help_emulator/d7s7ren/
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/56zzfw/cxbxreloaded_proof_of_concept_release/d8ookdh/

I went into far greater detail about these kind of issues in the past but can't find my posts currently.
I'm too mad to explain this again, this whole situation (re cemu + "you should take donations") is so fucked up, I don't even know where to begin.

The gist of it is: If you are doing this kind of work for money, you are probably doing it wrong. There have been good commercial emulators in the past, but I think this idea is really backwards in most cases.
In particular, if you think that cemu is a project which should be supported (in any form, financially or emotionally) or deserves any kind of money you should die alone in a pit - I hate cemu and it's business model with a passion.

I'd love to hear why anyone in their right mind would be willing to donate to cemu other than greed or piracy.
It saddens me to see that hundreds of people are willing to sell their dignity for $1 over at cemu.
It's a slap in the face to any open-source emulation project and society as a whole.

Also, I've talked to exjam on IRC earlier - he's a very nice guy and he deserves all the respect for keeping decaf alive.
It made me feel even worse about the whole cemu situation.
I feel people should take a step back and think about why anyone would want or could use money for. Then consider the typical emulation project and think about why these projects exist and who is working on them. If you combine those two facts you'll likely come to the conclusion that monetary donations are mostly useless or very unfair in these environments if directed towards a project.

If you want to throw money at someone or something, you should probably inform yourself who does actual work which will bring society / humanity forward.
If you can't find anyone you should probably spend it at AGDQ / SGDQ or give it to the EFF. I'm very certain that most emu-coders agree that these are very noble organizations which can actually do good with that money.

The whole purpose of a *donation* should be to show support, appreciation and make things happen.
I feel this is a lot more powerful when donating to individuals.

[/incoherent rambling about serious issues in society]

Last edited by JayFoxRox,

Satoshi121

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have explained this so often:

https://github.com/rwengine/openrw/issues/85#issuecomment-225172974
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/...ng_of_coding_how_i_can_help_emulator/d7s7ren/
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/56zzfw/cxbxreloaded_proof_of_concept_release/d8ookdh/

I went into far greater detail about these kind of issues in the past but can't find my posts currently.
I'm too mad to explain this again, this whole situation (re cemu + "you should take donations") is so fucked up, I don't even know where to begin.

The gist of it is: If you are doing this kind of work for money, you are probably doing it wrong. There have been good commercial emulators in the past, but I think this idea is really backwards in most cases.
In particular, if you think that cemu is a project which should be supported (in any form, financially or emotionally) or deserves any kind of money you should die alone in a pit - I hate cemu and it's business model with a passion.

I'd love to hear why anyone in their right mind would be willing to donate to cemu other than greed or piracy.
It saddens me to see that hundreds of people are willing to sell their dignity for $1 over at cemu.
It's a slap in the face to any open-source emulation project and society as a whole.

Also, I've talked to exjam on IRC earlier - he's a very nice guy and he deserves all the respect for keeping decaf alive.
It made me feel even worse about the whole cemu situation.
I feel people should take a step back and think about why anyone would want or could use money for. Then consider the typical emulation project and think about why these projects exist and who is working on them. If you combine those two facts you'll likely come to the conclusion that monetary donations are mostly useless or very unfair in these environments if directed towards a project.

If you want to throw money at someone or something, you should probably inform yourself who does actual work which will bring society / humanity forward.
If you can't find anyone you should probably spend it at AGDQ / SGDQ or give it to the EFF. I'm very certain that most emu-coders agree that these are very noble organizations which can actually do good with that money.

The whole purpose of a *donation* should be to show support, appreciation and make things happen.
I feel this is a lot more powerful when donating to individuals.

[/incoherent rambling about serious issues in society]
Where do you come off so high and mighty ?
It's not a commercial emulator.
It's a platform to donate, just like a donation button for paypal, people who want to support will get the build earlier by a week, people who don't want to pay, will receive it anyways for free, so be a bit more open minded, i've read your posts a lot, you're too anal, did you consult with the other Citra devs ? it's not a pay to use, it's just a donation platform.

Reactions: pol40 and legend80

JayFoxRox

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Personal opinion incoming / does not necessarily reflect Citra.

Where do you come off so high and mighty ?
It's not a commercial emulator.
It's a platform to donate, just like a donation button for paypal, people who want to support will get the build earlier by a week, people who don't want to pay, will receive it anyways for free, so be a bit more open minded, i've read your posts a lot, you're too anal, did you consult with the other Citra devs ? it's not a pay to use, it's just a donation platform.

I don't feel like derailing this topic, I think this donation / commercialization thing could fill another topic all on its own - it's a complicated matter which a lot of people without developed sense for ethics don't really understand (no shade intended).

First of all: Only because a button reads "Donate" and not "Pay" does not make it a donation based model. If this was the case I'd just add a 0 to my 10 EUR bills to turn it into a 100 EUR. Labels don't mean anything (but people these days also consider Fox "News" a "News" source comparable to journalism.. splendid).

If cemu is not a commercial project, then you'd also consider hookers a donation based business model, because you get laid earlier and if you wait until they are old enough prices will drop. Shit does not compute this way. - The sudden rise in cemu "donations" ever since botw was released is a VERY strong indicator of who is actually "donating": those who want to play that particular game. If cemu did not play that game they would not be donating. Otherwise decaf would be swimming on money now (hint: it doesn't even want to) and it would have a ton of developers / contributors (hint: would be nice, didn't happen).
The sheer amount of Pokemon related requests by people without a 3DS; or warez sites bundling Citra with Pokemon roms is also evidence of this. These do not reflect end users I want to work for.

Also, let's just assume for a split second that Citra *would* adopt the Patreon business model by cemu. You want this model, you sort this shit out (in detail please):
- Now *you* tell me where the money will first go to
- Now *you* tell me who and when they will receive how much of it
- Now *you* tell me how open-source would work with the cemu release cycle

---

Furthermore I don't really think it's up to you to decide if I'm "high and mighty" or "too anal" about things I'm passionate about. From what I can tell my contributions in the past years have a done a lot of good, misunderstandings are quite rare and people usually only get hurt by what I say if they bring a knife to a gunfight - and I'll be dual wielding those gattling guns. I don't argue with idiots who don't understand why I work on emulation projects.

If you took your time and would actually read what I write, you'd also see that I'm willing to put my own opinions and views aside for the sake of the community.
I was a main driving force why this forum has a dedicated thread for unofficial builds. More recently I also asked about more clarity and support for unofficial builds on /r/Citra. - I don't give a crap about unofficial builds personally, but if people like them, they should be able to get them in non-shady environments.
I also can't take credit for Bleeding-Edge (which is the official unofficial build), but I still did a lot of work on it to push it forward despite not using or caring about it personally.
Despite all of this I still got (and still get) a ton of crap from random people about "hating on unofficial builds".
Also I had to cope with shit like this (and again, did a massive writeup so people understand my / our reasoning): https://gist.github.com/JayFoxRox/8d49c4dedfb045f7c16cee7261ae23b8

Given the above, personally I feel I'm very selfless, supportive and helpful.
I take my free time and invest it into these projects because I believe in them.
(Also I quite literally said to donate to charity in my previous post, rather than asking for money for myself - heads up: I'll do that below)
So saying that I'm "high and mighty" and "too anal" about certain things?

Quite frankly: fuck you.
What did you do for society?

---

Also, in case people don't realize: Citra *does* take *donations*. We've had contact details about this for a long time.
However, most contributors I have talked to don't really like it and we also have money sitting in a bank account without any good way to spend it.
We even have some hardware donations which are currently not being used because most people don't join such projects for materialistic reasons.
(Citra also gets ad revenue and I also dislike that tbh - again, not alone on this matter -, but I'm in no position to decide that and I can also see some good reasons for doing it)

[So if you ask me, I'd say: Don't donate to Citra. Your money does no good. If you have hardware to donate, donate it to devs or make sure that the Citra Project can find good use for it. If you really want to support the project, do so by being helpful / supportive or even invest your freetime to contribute code, knowledge, research work, documentation, ...]

However, if Citra started a Patreon or more aggressively sold the emulator it would be the end of the projects activity.
At least *I* certainly wouldn't want to work on it anymore (and I'd assume this is true for many others too).
It's not because I don't want money (if you want to: please send money my way! appreciated!), but simply because it's an uninviting environment to work in. It would totally clash which a selfless open-source approach which is necessary for good preservation.
(Just check how Dolphin took off in 2008 and how ector succesfully established ppsspp - and even found a good way to monetize it)

Aside from that, the mentality amongst emu coders is very special. You'll see this all across the community. I've met the most ethical and noble people I've ever seen in this community. Heck, there's literally a guy called "nocash" with a manifest on his website: http://problemkaputt.de/about.htm | http://problemkaputt.de/donate.htm (which, I'm sure, many people have not read because they opted to pirate his software)

I believe the root cause of these discussions is that you don't understand who writes emulators, why they do it, how open-source works and why it's great for emulation in particular. But I've already mentioned this in my last post.
If you want to discuss this further I recommend to schedule a meeting with me at any event I attend (be it cebit, C3, some demoparty or even just the closest McDonalds while traveling). I feel like you need someone to explain this to your face because there are just too many misconceptions.

(I'm also available on the official discord, but I sexually identify as an attack helicopter on there, so don't expect too much. Also I feel like this is not something that's easy to discuss unless you are skilled at textchats - gomlb)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: what's the fanfic name?