Gaming Cave Story 3D fate

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

NIS America was an early supporter of the 3DS with Cave Story 3D. I think as a launch window title it would have stood out and filled a void for new hardware owners looking for an action game, but now it’s coming out during the holidays. It’s going to have to compete with Nintendo’s biggest icon – Mario.

Haru Akenaga, President of NIS America: I’m really worried about sales for Cave Story. It’s not the quality of the game, it’s the market. Actually, we could have released the title in the summer of this year, but the market was not great then. Almost all of the retailers did not want to carry 3DS titles that were not AAA titles. That’s why we postponed the release of Cave Story until the market conditions improved. Now there are many big titles coming and that should be better for 3DS. I hope Cave Story will have reorders and always have a spot on store shelves.

Link
Sandzone screenshots.

Releasing at a earlier time would help (They still have October.),but what I think is going to hurt sells most is the fact people are going
to hear the name and annoy all the new content.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
It's silly.

They wanted to delay CS because of poor sales of the console

Now they worry because CS clashes with other top hits?

Reactions: 1 person

Yatashi Strife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man.... i was looking foward to this.... WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING?! All we have been getting is push backs and cancels since the console came out....

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually, we could have released the title in the summer of this year, but the market was not great then.

They should have still released it. It's not like it would disappear after a few months, people could still buy it now.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'd buy it... but only if it also had 2D version on it, and mainly just to support the series. I fear that this 3D makeover will be pretty bad :(

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, we could have released the title in the summer of this year, but the market was not great then.

They should have still released it. It's not like it would disappear after a few months, people could still buy it now.

The problem with that is that retailers will not devote shelf space to a product that isn't selling. So if it came out then, and tanked, it would head straight for the bargain bin. Once a game goes bargain bin, retailers will not re-order it, and that spells the end of NIS' revenue stream from that product.

Sloshy

Trophies
Website
piecesoflint.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd buy it... but only if it also had 2D version on it, and mainly just to support the series. I fear that this 3D makeover will be pretty bad :(
The graphics look pretty nice. I think that Pixel said himself once that he wanted it to be in 3D, so this might actually work out pretty well (don't quote me on that, I heard it from a random person on the internet). It should also have a "Paper Mode" which will let you play using the original sprites, so that might be what you're looking for :). I'm really looking forward to this! I might just get it release day.

Net_Bastard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no! A remake of a game that has been ported and milked to death will fail!

Honestly, I would care if:

1: If it was a sequel

2: If the new art style didn't suck ass and used either toon shading or voxels instead.

But now I just can't gather up the emotion to care.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it still set for the November 8th release date or do I have to wait longer?

I like the new Sand Zone. I really wonder what the Balcony and the Outer Wall looks like.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uggh, the Sand Zone looks like crap, although I'm probably just saying this with my nostalgia goggles on and should go replay the original. Overall I don't like the art direction shown there, at all, instantly looking at it I know playing that I would not have the same atmosphere and experience or even close to it that I had with Cave Story the first time around, or the 3 times I replayed it on PC. Although I suppose 3D remakes of 2D games are always crap which leads me to wonder why they bothered, 3D is for 3D platformers, 2D is for 2D platformers, there are some wonderful exceptions, but I've never seen a game that started in 2D actually look better or as good when converted to 3D graphics but keeping the same gameplay/level layout.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of the area's of Plantation look a bit different. I love the new look of Last Cave. Now they need to show Balcony and Wind Fortress.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2: If the new art style didn't suck ass and used either toon shading or voxels instead.
Lol voxels. Don't get your hopes up about those anytime soon haha
Aren't they like slow or something?

More pics if you are interested.
Link
Voxels are sweet in theory and small games. They look amazing too. The problem is that they take up TONS of storage space, even if they render instantly.
what you also have to realize is the memory hasnt changed since DOS. We are still using a FAT/16/32 and have JUST stepped up from that. Those forms of memory are use for text and numbers, not pictures and movies and games. thats why a movie can take up obscene amounts of space in a HDD. Same goes for Voxels. Amazing idea, Just the tech we have isnt ready for such wonders.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak like a Wlaker