Can't get DSLinux to work

Plastisheep

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No matter what I try with DSLinux, it always fails to work. The single-file version boots and I can log in, but it doesn't let me use most commands. The DLDI version won't even boot properly, and gives me "Internal Error : 0 [#1]" whatever that means. I'm getting really frustrated. If someone could help I would be really grateful! I can send more info on these problems if needed.

Also I forgot to mention that I'm running it on a DSi using an SD card and DS compatibility mode, so it should work.

Last edited by Plastisheep,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm running it on a DSi using an SD card and DS compatibility mode, so it should work.
Nah, in DS mode the software doesn't use all the available RAM of the DSi but only 4 MB or less, while in DSi mode it won't even work unless someone sooner or later makes the appropriate changes to the .nds file. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
If you used a DSTwo instead, it would work properly.

Plastisheep

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, in DS mode the software doesn't use all the available RAM of the DSi but only 4 MB or less, while in DSi mode it won't even work unless someone sooner or later makes the appropriate changes to the .nds file. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
I'm using twilight menu and I allocated the dsi amount of virtual memory while running it in ds mode

dslinuxuser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No matter what I try with DSLinux, it always fails to work. The single-file version boots and I can log in, but it doesn't let me use most commands. The DLDI version won't even boot properly, and gives me "Internal Error : 0 [#1]" whatever that means. I'm getting really frustrated. If someone could help I would be really grateful! I can send more info on these problems if needed.

Also I forgot to mention that I'm running it on a DSi using an SD card and DS compatibility mode, so it should work.

Sadly, in my experience, DSLinux does not work on all cards. The best card I've found for it is DSTT, which works out of the box without issues and with YSMenu you can even set Linux to autoboot.

Also, to boot the DLDI version you need a memory expansion pack. Despite what it says on their website that dslinux.nds is for the non-MEP and dslinuxm.nds is for MEP, it's kind of a lie because the latest build won't run without a MEP at all. You can get the official Nintendo DS Web Browser for like $15 on eBay and use the MEP that comes with that, that's the easiest to acquire one that is compatible.

The problem, though, is that you are using a DSi, which obviously doesn't have a slot for a MEP. While the DSi does have more RAM than an original NDS, I'm not entirely sure if DSLinux could even access it in compatibility mode. I've never actually seen evidence of anyone booting DSLinux on the DSi. The website only says it might work, so it probably doesn't.

Depending on your card, you will also have to manually patch the DLDI version with the DLDI patcher tool to get it to boot. The fact you could get it to boot at all though makes me wonder if your card is fine, because the cards I have that it is incompatible with only give a black screen and don't do anything, and it's probably just the fact you're using a DSi and not an original NDS.

With the MEP in the DS Browser it will actually give you 10 MB of usable memory. It's plenty enough memory for hobbyist stuff.

Yeah, in DS mode, you're limited to 4MB of RAM. idk how the virtual memory feature works, if not using a paging file on the SD card.

DSLinux doesn't support anything like this due to the NDS lacking an MMU, making virtual memory impossible. You are limited to the physical RAM you have and if you exceed that the system will simply crash.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps