Hardware Can I recover the files from my corrupt SD card?

NoxiousBagels

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So there's a bit to this before I get started on my current issue.

Earlier today I noticed that when I went back onto Pokemon White 2, it went back to a previous save. Not sure what was happening, but after two saves it seemed to be fixed. Later on, it went back to that previous save.
At some point it said "SD/TF card error" upon startup, but after removing it and placing it back in it was fixed. After more messing about, I found out White 1 was also doing this.
After some research I was told that my SD card was likely corrupt somehow, and that I should backup my files and format it. I transfer the files to my laptop, format the SD card (I assume I wasn't actually supposed to do this and misread an instruction) and transferred the files back.
"SD/TF card error" again. But, when I next place the micro SD back into my laptop it says "You need to format this drive to use it." This is where I think "Oh no. I did a no-no."

I've read up some other threads here but haven't been able to bear much fruit. Tried to "chkdsk" it in Command Prompt, but that didn't work because it's a "RAW" drive, whatever that means. Tried to used Testdisk which didn't work, I think because the drive was "too small" or something, and subsequently tried to use Photorec. This might have actually worked but I'm not sure if it actually recovered all of the nds files, which is why I'm posting this to see if there are any other options (plus there were like 20 "WARIOWARETOUCHED.NDS" files and I'm not sure what to make of that). Tried to use Recuva instead, but it wasn't able to read it since it doesn't have recognisable file types. Then I got the idea to use Recuva in my Downloads folder, since I did have my files in there earlier, but that didn't work.

What I wanna know is how I can recover these files if possible, but also if Photorec was successful and what I can do about those?

NoxiousBagels

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
check in disk management whether it's unallocated. that's what I'm thinking raw drive might be referring to.
It says that 29MB of it is "unallocated", but the file system is RAW. Couldn't see/do anything else. Did discover that apparently it has complete free space, so I guess somehow the files in it deleted after I transferred them back in or something (unless it's only saying that because it can't read it, but I am completely and utterly clueless here).

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it probably has no file system. you can extend the unallocated memory to be a part of the raw data, but I dunno if that will make a difference. someone else will have to help as far as a recovery app. I don't know which ones work the best. also, I wouldn't use test disk unless something is wrong with the boot sector, which would be like if it shows wrong space or isn't even detected. if it didn't work, then I wouldn't delve further into it, if that was the problem.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tried to used Testdisk which didn't work, I think because the drive was "too small" or something
You're probably going to have to go into more details about exactly what you did and how you got that error.

If Testdisk doesn't work, Easeus is often recommended. (Easeus is supposed to cost money, but then, so are a lot of things..?)

I'm not sure if it actually recovered all of the nds files
Why are you concerned about the .nds files? You can always get those by dumping your cartridges again. If you're worried about your save data, then that is not stored in the .nds file.

NoxiousBagels

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You're probably going to have to go into more details about exactly what you did and how you got that error.

If Testdisk doesn't work, Easeus is often recommended. (Easeus is supposed to cost money, but then, so are a lot of things..?)

Why are you concerned about the .nds files? You can always get those by dumping your cartridges again. If you're worried about your save data, then that is not stored in the .nds file.
Starting to think I misremembered where I saw the "disk too small" error. I was a little bit stressed and typed the original post pretty frantically.
I followed the step-by-step guide for it, got such results as:
"Invalid FAT boot sector
1 P FAT32 LBA 130 3 482 18 48 7736320
1 P FAT32 LBA 0 130 3 482 18 48 7736320 Bad sector count.
No partition is bootable"
Upon searching for partitions, it says they neither have a name nor can be recovered, and nothing happens after that. To be honest I don't really understand what I'm looking at.

Regardind the NDS files, I can't find all of the files that were on the SD card in the recovered files via Photorec (by name at least) so I'm just worried that it didn't actually recover them all. I mean it somehow managed to recover Trozei even though I literally removed that file but seemingly not some of the games that were, y'know, actually on the card.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the disk size is in the boot sector. you can check what the current boot sector is in HxD. just run the disk option. if it's all 0s, it's definitely corrupted. btw, it's sector0.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, all 0s, at least at the top. Joy.
test disk can sometimes fix it. I think this must be how fake cards are manipulated into showing a fake size. I was able to change one usb to 7.something MBs, when it was like 64GBs or so. are you sure the card isn't fake?

NoxiousBagels

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
test disk can sometimes fix it. I think this must be how fake cards are manipulated into showing a fake size. I was able to change one usb to 7.something MBs, when it was like 64GBs or so. are you sure the card isn't fake?
You mean the micro SD card? I don't see why it would be.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can recall one report of Easeus working when Testdisk did not.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-co...les-to-correct-directory.558186/#post-8947842

if it's all 0s, it's definitely corrupted.
Well, if it wasn't corrupted, the card wouldn't be unreadable..?

Regardind the NDS files, I can't find all of the files that were on the SD card in the recovered files via Photorec (by name at least) so I'm just worried that it didn't actually recover them all.
I have no idea why you're using Photorec in the first place, considering you're not trying to recover photos!

Is that something I wanna do, though? I feel like that would make its data harder to recover (then again I have no idea about any of this).
Indeed, running h2testw on your SD card would pretty much ruin any chance of recovering any data that might have been on there.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-co...les-to-correct-directory.558186/#post-8947842

I have no idea why you're using Photorec in the first place, considering you're not trying to recover photos!

Indeed, running h2testw on your SD card would pretty much ruin any chance of recovering any data that might have been on there.
You can still read the card with a corrupted boot sector. It will just display incorrect info, but considering there's unallocated memory, I suggest he first extend the partition.

NoxiousBagels

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Photorec was one of the suggestions I found to use on another forum post.
Post automatically merged:

You can still read the card with a corrupted boot sector. It will just display incorrect info, but considering there's unallocated memory, I suggest he first extend the partition.
I ain't got no idea how to do such a thingie

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Lol not me trying to get people to make an uncensor patch for imagine makeup artist