Hardware Can I record a 4K game , with a 1080p desktop?

BhenBen_85

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I have a question regarding OBS recording, I have a 1080p latpop, and I have a 4k tv, if for example I am playing a PS5 on 4k tv can I recording it in 4k also with my 1080p desktop?

Thanks.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That depends more upon the input method. Most laptops don't have video inputs and so that then leads to whatever capture card/capture method you are using and what it supports or acts as.

If the signal input is greater than the screen output and the input supports the higher res and all you are doing is writing it to a video file or piping it out to a network service then yeah usually not a problem. If doing some kind of more advanced edit or looping back a screen capture then you can have some trouble and might have to do a more advanced thing like a virtual screen that is whatever resolution you need and not visible all at once/needs you to view a squashed down version on the screen to see it all at once).

BhenBen_85

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
That depends more upon the input method. Most laptops don't have video inputs and so that then leads to whatever capture card/capture method you are using and what it supports or acts as.

If the signal input is greater than the screen output and the input supports the higher res and all you are doing is writing it to a video file or piping it out to a network service then yeah usually not a problem. If doing some kind of more advanced edit or looping back a screen capture then you can have some trouble and might have to do a more advanced thing like a virtual screen that is whatever resolution you need and not visible all at once/needs you to view a squashed down version on the screen to see it all at once).
Thanks for the reply, btw if my laptop is only a 1440p resolution can I still capture the 4k quality of the game that I am playing? And will it be the same quality as what I am seeing on my 4k TV? I wanted to record my gameplay but my laptop can only output 1440p :(

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply, btw if my laptop is only a 1440p resolution can I still capture the 4k quality of the game that I am playing? And will it be the same quality as what I am seeing on my 4k TV? I wanted to record my gameplay but my laptop can only output 1440p :(

Can't remember the last time I saw a 1440p laptop. Might have to look into them as that is possibly a resolution sweet spot.

Back on topic then as it pertains to PS5 presumably with HDMI splitter/pass through rather than anything fun with virtual machines, virtual monitors, emulator internal capture and such.

As above though it will depend upon your input method. Basic USB capture device. Probably not. More advanced capture device that does it all internally and uses the laptop as glorified bulk storage; if the device supports 4k (possible, though would make it a higher end setup as these things go) then yeah. More advanced capture device that leaves the laptop responsible for encoding as well... that might strain it.

BhenBen_85

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Can't remember the last time I saw a 1440p laptop. Might have to look into them as that is possibly a resolution sweet spot.

Back on topic then as it pertains to PS5 presumably with HDMI splitter/pass through rather than anything fun with virtual machines, virtual monitors, emulator internal capture and such.

As above though it will depend upon your input method. Basic USB capture device. Probably not. More advanced capture device that does it all internally and uses the laptop as glorified bulk storage; if the device supports 4k (possible, though would make it a higher end setup as these things go) then yeah. More advanced capture device that leaves the laptop responsible for encoding as well... that might strain it.
I wanted to use the built in on the PS5 but there are scene that sometime are being blocked from being recorded. Thanks again for info again. Have a great day and Merry Christmas .

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I figured it would be something along those lines.

I don't know if the PS5 will activate whatever the 4k version of HDCP is if there are blocked/forbidden capture scenes, and bypassing that can be harder than older 1080p stuff which is done handily. Some devices, typically ones aimed more at video creation/editing for people to take 4K raw camera output and do something with it, might not support that and some game stuff might try to respect it as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Sicklyboy, not that bad ig