Feedback Hardware Nonstop flickering on 1080p

Doodoohead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi! I purchased this second-hand PS3 Slim a couple of years ago and never really got to use it as much as I'd like because of the nonstop flickering.
When setting the video to 1080p, the whole screen flashes. Sometimes it goes dark for a second, or sometimes it flashes in grey and green small lines, like TV static. Also, the borders of the screen have red/pink grain moving all over when the image isn't flashing.
  • 1080i, 720p and 480p work flawlessly. I can play games for hours and weeks on end on 1080i without any kind of visual artifacts, regardless of the combo of video options I choose on the PS3.
  • I've tried every possible combo of the video options on the PS3 while running at 1080p. None seem to affect the issue in any way. The only difference is that setting Deep Colour to "Automatic" will just output a completely black screen.
  • It's not an HDMI cable/Display issue. I've tested with seven HDMI cables, some of them are the ones I use for my PC and 4K monitors. Displays: I've tried on two 1080p PC monitors, two 4K ones, and two 1080p TVs. I've also tried using an AV receiver as a middleman, and I also have a Phat PS3 that works flawlessly at 1080p with these cables/displays, and Deep Colour and all the other bells and whistles turned on.
  • Moving the HDMI cable end attached to the PS3 doesn't affect the rate of flickering so I'm assuming the port isn't badly soldered.
  • The AV receiver has an LED light that stays on when the selected source is sending signal over HDMI. When I set the PS3 to 1080p, the LED flashes even more than the image. With Deep Colour to "Automatic", the LED never turns on.

The issue sometimes, very rarely, just goes away. Like, a random day of the week, once a month, it just decides to work flawlessly at 1080p. Sometimes it happens as soon as I turn on the system and other times it happens after half an hour of heavy gaming. Sometimes it stays working as it should for 10 minutes and sometimes for 5 hours. I've tried to reproduce this issue but it doesn't seem to be anything specific that triggers it. Anyone has any ideas of what could be happening? Thanks in advance!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed