Hacking Homebrew Can I burn Wii U back ups on a blue-ray and the Wii U could read it??

peruano128

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Hello, I want to keep my Wii U games on good condition but I'm fan of playing games on phisical format.
I wanna know if is possible to play blue ray back ups on Wii U??

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, the Discs might be very similar to blueray, but it is not following the spec. Also the firmware in the Disc drive won't allow reading bluerays.

If you really wanted to you could get a USB Bluray Burner with RW support and then format DVD RAM and Blueray RAM on the Wii U and just install one game to each of the Discs.

Maybe at some day it would be possible to replace the Disc drive with a standard Blue Ray drive, but I don't see that happening in the near future and also not much of an motivation, as the games can just be installed.

EDIT: corrected DVD RW to DVD RAM

Last edited by SDIO,
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, the Discs might be very similar to blueray, but it is not following the spec. Also the firmware in the Disc drive won't allow reading bluerays.
This.
There is little known about the Wii U disc format. Highly likely it is BD on physical level. But not on logical level.

Since we have no real control over BD writers (and DVD writers as well) we can't produce non-standard data formats -- and not even read them.

The link I usually post on topic like this:
https://debugmo.de/2022/05/fjita-the-project-that-wasnt-meant-to-be/

Seems nobody reads it as I never got any form of reply on it. Highly interesting read. Pretty high level and requires some previous knowledge (or reading "dependencies"). This blog really gives an idea what producing non-standard discs with consumer equipment would look like.

I want to keep my Wii U games on good condition but I'm fan of playing games on phisical format.
Keep in mind that BDs (and Wii U discs) have a very hard and scratch resistant coating. They were forced to invent something like this as the data layer comes right after the transparent coating (on DVDs it is in the middle of the disc and on CDs it is right below the label, away from the clear side).
Scratches would be deadly for BDs so they are really hard to scratch. Not likely your physical discs will get damaged unless you are really careless (I failed at deliberately scratching a BD with the fingernails)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For the DVD RAM Idea see this video: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-a...degree-of-backup-loading-on-the-wii-u.588641/

But now that I think about it, it is probably a bad idea. The Wii U is known for being a little write heavy on the USB devices, so it would probably wear out the DVD RAM rather quickly. Also the saves would go to the DVD RAM.
Somehow I must have missed that.
Unfortunately (once again) a video. Can't anybody just write things down?!
Why are so many people concerned about the write cycles stuff? The only thing I ever successfully killed with cycles are CD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RW (and it takes quite some effort on quality discs).

But you definitely should have a look at the designed overwrite capabilities of DVD-RAM (about 100,000 cycles). Those are the one type of discs you should not be afraid of wearing down. They have defect management, some have BD-like hard coating. DVD-RAM are "tanks".

Sadly the size of 4.3GB limits the usefulness for Wii U software.
A BD-RE might be able to achieve the same. They should support packet writing/random access. Writing arbitrary (non-UDF filesystem) data to BD-R(E) works out of the box. You can even write a LUKS container to BD-R, which will trigger the password prompt on any current Linux system when just inserting the disc.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Somehow I must have missed that.
Unfortunately (once again) a video. Can't anybody just write things down?!
There is not much to it. Just connect it, but a DVD RAM in, and use it like any other USB Storage device on the Wii U

Why are so many people concerned about the write cycles stuff?
Probably because a few cheap merchandise USB sticks died...

But you definitely should have a look at the designed overwrite capabilities of DVD-RAM (about 100,000 cycles). Those are the one type of discs you should not be afraid of wearing down. They have defect management, some have BD-like hard coating. DVD-RAM are "tanks".
Interesting, didn't knew they can do that much

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan why did you say wtf bunny?