Hacking Can Gateway sue clone makers?

TheBlueSky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway put a lot of hard work of several months and their card is blatantly cloned. What's the legal option for them? Shouldn't they sue the clone making companies for stealing their work?

I mean how Apple did Samsung.

Reactions: filfat

mybluered

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, guys.
You are very funny.
Please do not forget Nintendo, capcom and other 3ds game manufactures.
How about their hard work?
The piracy is illegal itself.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
course they can!

pf8xb.jpg

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If they were playing in a place where flash carts were considered legit items (and there are quite a few) and the clone makers had a presence in the same place then there might be something that could be done. I doubt they will have any patents, trademarks or properly registered copyrights (assuming they are in a place that has that distinction) in those places so it is likely then the weaker form of copyright.

Seen as most clone makers will at least operate through the black hole that is China then I doubt much will come to pass of it. Likewise enforcement during and after would be troublesome.

Technically yes depending upon where they are, practical considerations make this not very likely and even if the case was won the effects other than a lawyer bill are slim to nonexistent.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
If they were playing in a place where flash carts were considered legit items (and there are quite a few) and the clone makers had a presence in the same place then there might be something that could be done. I doubt they will have any patents, trademarks or properly registered copyrights (assuming they are in a place that has that distinction) in those places so it is likely then the weaker form of copyright.

Seen as most clone makers will at least operate through the black hole that is China then I doubt much will come to pass of it. Likewise enforcement during and after would be troublesome.

Technically yes depending upon where they are, practical considerations make this not very likely and even if the case was won the effects other than a lawyer bill are slim to nonexistent.

i agree with FAST, anthropomorphize, sententious, sesquipedalian... even do i have no idea what he just said

Reactions: IronClouds

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i agree with FAST, anthropomorphize, sententious, sesquipedalian... even do i have no idea what he just said

Anthromorphize - something with characteristics that are not typical to humans.
Sententious - having feels with morals (or something along that line)
sesquipedalian - long

No, I didn't dictionary them, I actually know what he's saying! :D

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Because R4 was able to sue all their clones...oh wait...
Flashcards exist in a legal grey zone built in a country with sketchy copyright laws. A lawsuit really won't be a wise idea for them. Not to mention with the recent DMCA actions taken on filetrip, that will make it even harder on them.

Reactions: Ryukouki

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
It's not likely a business who's foundation plays on Illegal activities would get the law involved.
That's like ratting yourself out.

Like A drug dealer calling the police, because somebody stole his drugs. Idiocracy at it's finest.

You are just kidding, but someone in Czech Republic really did that.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway put a lot of hard work of several months and their card is blatantly cloned. What's the legal option for them? Shouldn't they sue the clone making companies for stealing their work?

I mean how Apple did Samsung.
No. Heres Why: (256k warning)
Apple:

Burj_Khalifa_building.jpg

Samsung:
Tokyo_Sky_Tree_2012_%E2%85%A3.JPG

Gateway:
r

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Anthromorphize - something with characteristics that are not typical to humans.

No, I didn't dictionary them, I actually know what he's saying! :D

I'm sure you did not look that up in a dictionary, because it actually means giving something that is not human human characteristics. Making more human. Rather than what you said.

TheBlueSky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have emailed the idea to Gateway team and asked them if they would like to sue the clone. I also attached in the email a list of world's best lawyers that specialize in this.

They will probably need funds for litigation, I could assume they already have 20-30k from Gateway profits and so another 20k they could ask in donations. 50,000 dollars is a pretty good start for this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Manual charging