Hardware Building my first gaming PC need help.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Cool ...I'm also searching parts to build a new PC..

From the configurations that were suggested to xcrimsonstormx, what you guys think should be added/changed so it could fit my necessities?
Well, the main focus of the pc would be to do some work and personal projects (and play some lil games sometimes too...but work mostly)

The Softs that I use the most are: Maya, 3DS Max, Zbrush, ToonBoom, TVP Animation, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and Premiere.
I need a PC that can handle those softs and its renders..

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
3D modelling and animation can be many times more demanding than simply gaming. Depending on what your focus is, you may need the strongest CPU and/or GPU you can afford. And that usually means Intel and AMD (certain progs prefer nVidia, but I never keep track of which).
If you're budget minded, look into Ivy Bridge i5/i7 and Z77 motherboard. GTX 760 or R9 270X minimum (I look down on graphics cards below $250 for this kind of work).
If you're more open with your wallet (or plan to upgrade in increments), then get a Haswell i7 and Z87 motherboard. 8GB RAM minimum, preferably 1800Mhz or more.
For the PSU, 450W is enough, 550W is preferred. Case and drives aren't so important so long as they work (and have airflow).
And if you have the budget left over, get a SSD.

Whilst you can get away with lower budget parts for 3D modelling/animation/rendering, the higher the processing power, the quicker projects take to render/complete. There are also ways/options to reduce render times/workloads by tethering/distributing the project through multiple PCs/laptops (my brother did it with all 4 desktops and 5 laptops in my house for his university final year project).

Reactions: Walker D

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks Originality ...building a homemade render farm is always a good idea on bigger projects hehe ..unfortunately, I'll rarely be able to do something like that.

...I probably can't spend money on the best of the best, and I don't want to get the cheapest thing possible too ..but I think I can get something in the middle. And as you said, it's mainly for 3D modelling/animation/rendering. I don't know if Maya, 3DS Max, Premiere and AE prefer nVidia for GPU optimization when rendering though (my idea was to go AMD too).

A question: would be kind of a waste to get a high-end motherboard when not getting a super good processor with it (or some other pc part)? ..I'm a bit uninformed about hardware, so I'm never sure if the parts combination that I'm making are kinda irrelevant or a waste of money (with me not being able to use them all on their full potential..).

I was also in doubt about monitors (which ones have good fidelity with a good price) ...I don't want to spend too much on them, since I'll need 2.
And there's a relevant gain on upgrading to a mechanical keyboard?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
For the motherboard, you probably want a midrange gigabyte Z87 motherboard. You don't need the best CPU with it since that's one part you can always upgrade later, but you are one of the few people who will actually notice the difference HyperThreading from a core i7 will bring.

For photoshopping and other art related uses, you want a monitor with good colour reproduction. Now I'm not so knowledgeable in this area - all I know is that the Dell ultrasharp series is one of the best in this category.

Mechanical keyboards have a better feel and feedback to membrane keyboards. They are a luxury. Don't feel obliged to get one until your budget becomes looser.

What I suggest if you're uncertain about parts is creating a list of parts from a website you'd be happy to buy from (like the Brazilian equivalent of newegg). We can then see the parts and suggest any alterations.

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
You should get a GTX 650 Ti Boost, it's as good as a Gtx660 (a 10 fps difference) and a lot cheaper. I ordered one to me, it will probably arrive tomorrow :P But anyways, if you ca go for the boost go for it, plus if your gaming at 1080p 2gb of vRam minimum. You can see here some comparisons (i'm going to buy the MSI edition but you can still use this) http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_650_Ti_Boost_TF_Gaming/13.html
About the cpu, if you are going to mainly play games a i5 is enough, but if you are going to do 3D rendering, video editing etc. an i7 is better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/T78NsMwZOA0 +1